OpenSocial 2.0 new Feature Proposal: OpenSearch Gadget Contributions

Igor Belakovskiy

Apr 1, 2011, 2:37:27 PM4/1/11
to OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
Hello all,

here's a proposal for a new feature that we have been working on.
Below is a summary, as well as a link to the wiki page. We'd greatly
appreciate everyone's feedback on the proposal, especially as the
inclusion deadline draws near.
Thank you!

Abstract:

Many OpenSocial gadgets expose services with searchable
content(friends' status updates, weather, news, etc). We want to
expose and leverage that functionality in the OpenSocial container.
The search capabilities can be declared using OpenSearch(http://
www.opensearch.org) descriptions, an existing format used to expose
search functionality in web pages. Browsers such as Firefox recognize
these descriptions and can automatically add the web site to the
Firefox search bar. Similarly, gadgets will be able to contribute
their search functionality to the OpenSocial container. This will
allow the user to query the various gadgets, see search results from
various gadgets in one UI, and will enhance the search capabilities of
the container.

wiki: http://docs.opensocial.org/display/OSD/OpenSearch+Gadget+Contributions

Igor

Igor Belakovskiy

Apr 13, 2011, 8:46:56 AM4/13/11
to OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
Hi everyone,
we added a short video of the reference implementation to the
spec, to address some of the use case questions from Thursday call.
Also edited the spec to simplify our use cases. Take a look, and let
us know what you think. Thanks!

On Apr 1, 2:37 pm, Igor Belakovskiy <igo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> here's a proposal for a new feature that we have been working on.
> Below is a summary, as well as a link to the wiki page. We'd greatly
> appreciate everyone's feedback on the proposal, especially as the
> inclusion deadline draws near.
> Thank you!
>
> Abstract:
>
> Many OpenSocial gadgets expose services with searchable
> content(friends' status updates, weather, news, etc). We want to
> expose and leverage that functionality in the OpenSocial container.
> The search capabilities can be  declared using OpenSearch(http://www.opensearch.org) descriptions, an existing format used to expose

Matthew Marum

Apr 19, 2011, 2:51:27 PM4/19/11
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi Igor,

Was looking at this proposal and had a comment about the OpenSearch description document.

First, I see that the XML description document is included as a parameter to the proposed OpenSearch feature.  Seems ok to me, but as an implementation detail maybe some containers will have issues with parameter values containing XML?  Also, I think many OpenSearch description documents are hosted so inlining the description may not make sense in all cases. (http://www.opensearch.org/Documentation/Developer_how_to_guide)

We should probably at least support pointing to a URL for the OpenSearch description with this proposal.

Matt

Igor Belakovskiy

Apr 19, 2011, 4:01:26 PM4/19/11
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,
since the feature is optional, only supporting containers
would need to do anything about the XML params. We are also in the
process of posting a patch for shindig that would handle that type of
conversion.

The advantage of in-lining the description in the gadget is that it
allows us to avoid making an extra proxy request to get the
description. So that would avoid server transactions until the time
that we actually want to perform a search.

I agree that we should at least support pointing to a description via
URL. I can see that being particularly useful for containers that also
host gadgets, so I'll add that to the spec.

Thank you for the feedback!

-Igor

rbaxter85

Apr 29, 2011, 3:32:23 PM4/29/11
to OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
Patch available....please provide feedback!
http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-resources/issues/detail?id=1166

On Apr 19, 4:01 pm, Igor Belakovskiy <b...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>           since the feature is optional, only supporting containers
> would need to do anything about the XML params. We are also in the
> process of posting a patch for shindig that would handle that type of
> conversion.
>
> The advantage of in-lining the description in the gadget is that it
> allows us to avoid making an extra proxy request to get the
> description. So that would avoid server transactions until the time
> that we actually want to perform a search.
>
> I agree that we should at least support pointing to a description via
> URL. I can see that being particularly useful for containers that also
> host gadgets, so I'll add that to the spec.
>
> Thank you for the feedback!
>
>                                  -Igor
>

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Matthew Marum <mgma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Igor,
>
> > Was looking at this proposal and had a comment about theOpenSearch
> > description document.
>
> > First, I see that the XML description document is included as a parameter to
> > the proposedOpenSearchfeature.  Seems ok to me, but as an implementation
> > detail maybe some containers will have issues with parameter values
> > containing XML?  Also, I think manyOpenSearchdescription documents are

Matthew Marum

Apr 29, 2011, 3:40:29 PM4/29/11
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Patch applied.

Igor Belakovskiy

May 20, 2011, 3:09:27 PM5/20/11
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Another patch added:
http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-resources/issues/detail?id=1183

Allows container components to register with the open search feature
and listen for changes in the opensearch registry (ie. gadgets
containing os features being added and removed).

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Matthew Marum <mgm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Patch applied.

Matthew Marum

May 25, 2011, 4:30:45 PM5/25/11