[OS3 Proposal] Deprecate the XML Format Option

James Snell

Feb 6, 2012, 1:36:51 PM2/6/12
to OpenSocial
For 2.x, we deprecated the Atom format binding, and all was Good.

For 3.x, I propose that we take that further and deprecate the XML
format binding and focus specifically on JSON.

Individual implementations would still be free to support multiple
format bindings as they see fit, but within the core protocol, data
model and implementation, the requirement to provide support for
multiple data formats is unnecessarily complicates everything. Let's
pick one and be done with it.

- James

Mark W.

Feb 6, 2012, 6:36:55 PM2/6/12
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
What's the motivation behind this?

James Snell

Feb 6, 2012, 6:41:56 PM2/6/12
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com

Simplification. Making the overall spec easier to understand, easier to implement. Reduce the number of things that MUST be supported. Allow the code to be simplified and optimized by eventually eliminating the need for there to be multiple data model  serializations. More required to support options are not necessarily a good thing.