[VOTE] JSON-RPC batching format

Chris Chabot

Jul 30, 2008, 4:53:26 PM7/30/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
This is one of the two propose batching formats, the JSON-RPC format
proposed by Louis Ryan.

The proposal can be read at :
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dhjrqr8t_4cwzqq7gh

Please vote +1 If you prefer the JSON-RPC proposal over the JSON-REST
proposal. Otherwise vote on the other thread.

The proposal with the most votes will become the batching format for
the 0.8.1 spec, so please vote so we can accept one of these two since
either is much better then the 0.8 one, but please also do so after
having evaluated the pro's and con's for each since we'll be using it
for a long time to come.

John Panzer

Jul 30, 2008, 5:57:28 PM7/30/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
I'm -0 on this proposal (don't want to block it, but would prefer the alternative) for the reasons previously discussed on the other threads.  They're close enough together as is, but this one pulls in the JSON-RPC 2.0 specification and diverges unnecessarily from the concepts in the rest of the RESTful spec.  I'd rather try to cut down on the number of additional specs we include by reference, and reduce the cognitive dissonance as much as possible.

(Aside to Louis:  Do you have time to fill out the OAuth data in the examples in this proposal, as I did in http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc43mmng_23fdbpp7hd so there's a real 1:1 comparison in what would go over the wire?  You can probably just copy the example data from there in a lot of cases, it's a bit crufty but I think it's useful to provide the real complexity cost in both cases.)

John Panzer (http://abstractioneer.org)

Zhen Wang

Jul 30, 2008, 6:33:01 PM7/30/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1 on Louis' proposal which is easy to implement and use.

(I've been using a similar batched JSON-RPC format for a pet project,
and I'm happy with the results.)

Louis Ryan

Jul 30, 2008, 7:52:26 PM7/30/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Added some examples with the OAuth headers as John suggested...

Robert Evans

Jul 31, 2008, 12:44:06 AM7/31/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1 as stated in other threads