0.8.1 Proposal : User ID to allow "-", "_", "."

Eiji Kitamura

Aug 11, 2008, 6:22:12 AM8/11/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've asked if there's any explict reason why opensocial user id only
allows alphanumeric characters,
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-and-gadgets-spec/browse_thread/thread/e2bd1921c735401d#

Since There seems to be no explicit reason for this, I'd like to
propose for OpenSocial user ID to allow additional "-", "_" and ".".
I've added "." because Yahoo.com is using it. Also, Persistance API's
ID is allowing alphanumeric chars, "-", "_" and ".".

ID problem is really pain in the axx, I believe it's better to have
more flexibility for various containers.

Hope this proposal to be in timeline for v0.8.1.

Reinoud Elhorst

Aug 11, 2008, 10:13:40 AM8/11/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
I would +1 this. This would raise the number of characters to 65, so base64() data can be stored there.

Cassie

Aug 11, 2008, 7:09:17 PM8/11/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1

Zhen Wang

Aug 11, 2008, 7:31:22 PM8/11/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1

Louis Ryan

Aug 11, 2008, 7:47:09 PM8/11/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com

+1

Ropu

Aug 11, 2008, 7:48:10 PM8/11/08
--
R o p u

Chris Chabot

Aug 14, 2008, 4:38:54 AM8/14/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Due to the quick turn around on reaching consensus, and the fact that it's a minor spec change I've included this proposal in our 0.8.1 spec:

The two remaining issues are wether or not we should include a x-www-form-encoded (which Paul keeps promising he'll post to the list, *hint hint*), and the XML vs ATOM discussion that's currently taking place.

Lets try to get those done and wrapped up as expediently as we can, so we can close the 0.8.1 rounds and get to getting it out there :)

-- Chris