last call for comments on body signing

Brian Eaton

Mar 12, 2009, 12:29:20 PM3/12/09
to oa...@googlegroups.com, oauth-ex...@googlegroups.com, opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks -

I've neglected the body signing specification for a few months and I'd
like to wrap it up. A fresh draft is here:

http://oauth.googlecode.com/svn/spec/ext/body_hash/1.0/drafts/3/spec.html

Changes:
- language cleaned up to be more precise
- more detailed example

Things that have not changed:
- no, I'm not going to do anything about HTTP header integrity. Write
another spec if you want that.

I'm aiming to have a couple of reference implementations and a final
spec by next Friday, March 20th.

Cheers,
Brian

Chris Chabot

Mar 12, 2009, 12:51:45 PM3/12/09
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
LGTM

Louis Ryan

Mar 12, 2009, 1:52:56 PM3/12/09
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
LGTM+++++

Apurv Gupta

Mar 12, 2009, 1:55:27 PM3/12/09
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
LGTM++

Adam Winer

Mar 12, 2009, 5:52:33 PM3/12/09
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1

John Panzer

Mar 12, 2009, 6:00:42 PM3/12/09
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1

(And, I think it'd be good to have a warning about needing to apply the hash code calculation to the right set of bytes -- it appears trivial at first glance, but isn't, and I can see that being a source of interop problems.  It'd also be nice to have something between the spec and implemented libraries that describes the gotchas -- maybe a wiki page?)

Charlie Jiang

Mar 18, 2009, 1:20:23 AM3/18/09
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com, oa...@googlegroups.com, oauth-ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

Sorry to be very late to comment on this. Are we suggesting to push this
to be part of OAuth spec? If so, have we talked to them?

-Charlie

Brian Eaton

Mar 18, 2009, 12:26:17 PM3/18/09
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com, oa...@googlegroups.com, oauth-ex...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we're pushing this to be an optional, backwards-compatible, part
of the OAuth specification. I've gotten good feedback from the OAuth
community so far.

The backwards compatible piece is pretty important; the idea is that
clients can opt-in to body signing without breaking existing
compatibility with existing service providers.

Brian Eaton

Mar 23, 2009, 2:51:30 PM3/23/09
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com, oa...@googlegroups.com, oauth-ex...@googlegroups.com
Progress update:

There is a new draft out, with clarifications based on feedback and
implementation experience:

http://oauth.googlecode.com/svn/spec/ext/body_hash/1.0/drafts/4/spec.html

There are pending shindig code reviews for the implementation:

http://codereview.appspot.com/27054/show
http://codereview.appspot.com/28042/show
http://codereview.appspot.com/28075/show

Cheers,