Preloads for OAuth

1 view

Brian Eaton

Aug 1, 2008, 11:50:46 AM8/1/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks -

I'd like to propose that opensocial containers support OAuth preloads
in much the same way they support preloads for signed fetch. This is
a latency win. The change is backwards compatible: if a gadget has a
Preload tag with authz=oauth, containers that don't support OAuth
preloads will simply ignore the tag. The gadget will be slower, but
will still function.

If the authz attribute of the Preload tag is set to "oauth", the
Preload tag will support four additional attributes:

oauth_service_name
oauth_token_name
oauth_request_token
oauth_request_token_secret

These attributes have the same semantics and defaults as the
corresponding parameters to gadgets.io.makeRequest.

All of the additional attributes support hangman variable substitution
of user prefs and other values. (This is useful for bootstrapping a
gadget with a user pref that contains a preapproved request token.
The container will immediately be able to access the user's data via
OAuth, without needing an extra popup window so the user can grant
approval.)

I've built a patch to Shindig for this, as a proof-of-concept:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-488

Cheers,
Brian

chabotc

Aug 4, 2008, 6:20:08 PM8/4/08
to OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
Makes sense to me, has my +1

Cassie

Aug 4, 2008, 6:31:17 PM8/4/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1

Zhen Wang

Aug 4, 2008, 7:32:15 PM8/4/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1

Gonzalo Aune

Aug 7, 2008, 11:49:37 AM8/7/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1, that would give me an extra work to do =)

G.-

Louis Ryan

Aug 7, 2008, 12:13:30 PM8/7/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
+1!

Kevin Brown

Aug 11, 2008, 4:05:00 PM8/11/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
These same attributes would be needed for proxied content (when authz="oauth") as well.

Brian Eaton

Aug 11, 2008, 4:22:14 PM8/11/08
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Kevin Brown <et...@google.com> wrote:
> These same attributes would be needed for proxied content (when
> authz="oauth") as well.

They are already there.

Kevin Brown

Aug 11, 2008, 4:27:48 PM8/11/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com

I was referring to the proposal for proxied type gadgets -- my original proposal only did some hand waving on using oauth, and only had oauth_service_name as an attribute on the Content element.

Brian Eaton

Aug 11, 2008, 7:14:08 PM8/11/08
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Kevin Brown <et...@google.com> wrote:
>> They are already there.
>
> I was referring to the proposal for proxied type gadgets -- my original
> proposal only did some hand waving on using oauth, and only had
> oauth_service_name as an attribute on the Content element.

Ah, I thought you were talking about makeRequest. Yes, you'd want all
of the options in there.