Hebrew text to base other texts on?

Butrus Damaskus

Aug 27, 2011, 5:03:27 PM8/27/11
to Open Scriptures
Hello!

I'd would like to ask which biblical text should I take If I'd like to
create a derivative text. WLC would be probably the first choice, but
what is the licence? Can a derivative work be done? What kind of
licence would the derived text be?

Thanks!
Petr Tomasek

David Troidl

Aug 28, 2011, 9:30:19 AM8/28/11
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Petr,

The WLC is public domain.

The OpenScripture version (https://github.com/openscriptures/morphhb)
has Strong numbers, and is based on the TEI version at
(http://www.tanach.us/Tanach.xml#Home), which is also public domain.

Peace,

David

Butrus Damaskus

Sep 2, 2011, 2:39:49 PM9/2/11
On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM, David Troidl <David...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hello Petr,
>
> The WLC is public domain.

Hello David,

thanks for your answers!

isn't there a specific licence if that applies if one wants to make a
derivative work of the WLC?
Or can licence the derivative work as I like?

> The OpenScripture version (https://github.com/openscriptures/morphhb) has
> Strong numbers, and is based on the TEI version at
> (http://www.tanach.us/Tanach.xml#Home), which is also public domain.

1) isn't TEI als WLC based?

2) with regard to "Strong numbers", I'm quite sceptical to them (and
to any simillar text tagging system which is based on someone deciding
the "right" interpretation of a particular biblical place). I'm still
looking forward for a system which would let alternative
interpretations to be marked if the text itself is ambigous. The same
is true for morphological tagging...

> Peace,
>
> David

ב״ב

Darrell Smith

Sep 2, 2011, 3:01:48 PM9/2/11
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
See http://en.katabiblon.com/us/index.php?text=GNT&book=Mt&ch=3 and http://en.katabiblon.com/us/index.php?text=MT&book=Gn&ch=1 for an excellent example of this. The Greek is more developed than the Hebrew.

Ζῆ Χριστός! יְבָרֶכְךָ יָהְוֶה

--- On Fri, 9/2/11, Butrus Damaskus <butrus...@gmail.com> wrote:

David Troidl

Sep 2, 2011, 4:00:24 PM9/2/11

On 9/2/2011 2:39 PM, Butrus Damaskus wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM, David Troidl<David...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Hello Petr,
>>
>> The WLC is public domain.
> Hello David,
>
> thanks for your answers!
>
> isn't there a specific licence if that applies if one wants to make a
> derivative work of the WLC?
> Or can licence the derivative work as I like?

Public domain means that anyone can do anything they want with it.

>> The OpenScripture version (https://github.com/openscriptures/morphhb) has
>> Strong numbers, and is based on the TEI version at
>> (http://www.tanach.us/Tanach.xml#Home), which is also public domain.
> 1) isn't TEI als WLC based?

TEI is the Text Encoding Initiative, a very general, and quite complex,
system for marking up texts of all kinds.

WLC is the Westminster Leningrad Codex, which in the original is marked
up in betacode. The TEI and OSIS versions are derived from that.

> 2) with regard to "Strong numbers", I'm quite sceptical to them (and
> to any simillar text tagging system which is based on someone deciding
> the "right" interpretation of a particular biblical place). I'm still
> looking forward for a system which would let alternative
> interpretations to be marked if the text itself is ambigous. The same
> is true for morphological tagging...

Strong numbers are routinely changed, to meet current theories about
word origins, etc. They are just a convenient reference for those who
don't read Greek or Hebrew fluently.

Of course, you are free to use the WLC without them, if you like.