Distributing reviews with OPDS

sieh...@googlemail.com

Jun 2, 2010, 5:42:16 AM6/2/10
to Open Publication Distribution System
Has anyone thought about distributing reviews with OPDS?

If you are interested in reviews you typically want to know the
metadata of the reviewed publication instead of the metadata about the
review. One solution would be to provide two catalogs: A) the reviews
and B) the reviewed publications with links between the two. However
this is as feasible as providing a SPARQL endpoint - it puts too much
burden on the client which just wants to fetch one feed an be happy.

My ad-hoc solution would be to provide the feed of the reviewed
publications and add some properties that contain basic metadata of
the review (basically reviewer, date of review and a simple string
with the name and issue of the journal or newspaper of the review).
More detailed metadata about the review could be provided in a second
feed.

What do you think?
Cheers
Jakob

Hadrien Gardeur

Jun 2, 2010, 6:21:27 AM6/2/10
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Reviews in OPDS shouldn't tied to one specific format: some folks might want to link to a webpage, others might distribute the reviews in an Atom feed while a third might even distribute compiled reviews in an EPUB file.

What we need to define is a relationship value to identify a link as such. For the rest, it'll be up to catalog publishers and clients to figure out which format they'd like to use and support.

Hadrien

sieh...@googlemail.com

Jun 4, 2010, 11:43:13 AM6/4/10
to Open Publication Distribution System

> Reviews in OPDS shouldn't tied to one specific format: some folks might want to link to a webpage, others might distribute the reviews in an Atom feed while a third might even distribute compiled reviews in an EPUB file.

In the same way as any other publications, that's not the point. The
format of a publication (and a review is a type of publication) is not
restricted by OPDS.

> What we need to define is a relationship value to identify a link as such. For the rest, it'll be up to catalog publishers and clients to figure out which format they'd like to use and support.

I thought OPDS is about to find out a way to distribute cataloged
links to publications. My question was how to use OPDS if these
publications are reviews. The problem that I raised is where to put