Experience with Migration from Olat 7.x to OpenOlat 8.x

Oliver

Mar 29, 2012, 7:03:41 AM3/29/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
This thread is part summery part new Information.
I just wanted to share this information with you in hope in might help.
To make it as short as possible I will post the relevant steps in short notes so anyone looking for a quick lookup-type of guide can go through this.
Some parts are not found anywhere(at least I haven't),so if necessary I makesome comments on that.

So:
1.Stop Tomcat
2.delete entire webapps-Directory of Olat
3.extract OpenOlat.war in the webapps-location
4.edit mistakes in Updatescripts for mysql-DB
  ' alter_7_0_x_to_7_1_0.sql ' row 182 is missing a space after the comment
  ' alter_7_1_x_to_8_0_0.sql ' row 163 throws error since the index cannot be created.
5. run DB-updatescripts
6. file olatdata/system/configuration/org.olat.core.helpers.Settings.properties
   has to be emptied.Not doing so will result in a reference to the old design.
   The apropriate content of this file will be made by the System on it's first run.
7.update olat.properties and olat.local.properties
   comment out anything regarding Onyx
   db.hibernate.ddl.auto isn't allowed to have any value
   in case the key db.url.options.mysql in  your property-files  contains useOldUTF8Behavior=true
  remove this option and execute the following  commands.
  $>mysqldump -h localhost -u root -p  --opt --default-character-set=latin1 --skip-set-charset olat > olatDbToImport.sql
  $>mysql -h localhost -u root -p --opt --default-character-set=utf8 olat <olatDbToImport.sql
8. restart tomcat

As mentioned earlier this is mostly a summery to help and
most of the informations(except  point 4 and especially 6)
can be read about here

or in the manual/Instructions coming with OpenOlat.

Many Thanks to Florian Gnägi and Stéphane Rossé for their help.

sincerely

Oliver

Florian Gnägi

Mar 30, 2012, 8:51:15 AM3/30/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver

Thank you very much for your contribution! I added it to our administrators wiki on the community server:

The idea is that in the future we use this wiki to write installation/update/maintenance manuals etc. Everybody is invited to contribute there. The wiki is exported periodically to a static format and embedded to the OpenOLAT Webpage.

I added a page there with your input, thanks again.

Cheers
Florian

--
Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT and OLATpro
 hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting

frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

skype:gnaegi  twitter:gnaegi  xing:Florian_Gnaegi