Problems installing OpenNI in Ubuntu 11.04

tomate

Jun 2, 2011, 7:47:05 AM6/2/11
to OpenNI
Hi everybody,

all my attempts to install OpenNI + Nite + Sensor drivers failed. I'm
using Ubuntu 11.04 32bit and want to use the Microsoft Kinect. To
install everything i did basically the following things:

1. I installed all the other required stuff (gcc, python, libusb,
freeglut3, graphviz, mono, doxygen).
2. I downloaded the latest unstable versions of OpenNI (1.1.0.41) and
Nite (5.0.1.32).
3. I installed both of them using install.sh
4. I downloaded the latest version of Avin2's sensor driver
(5.0.1.32).
5. I installed it using /Platform/Linux-x86/CreateRedist/RedistMaker
and /Platform/Linux-x86/Redist/install.sh

So far everything seems good. The installations didn't report any
errors. But when i try to run the NiViewer or one of the Nite Samples
it says:
"Open failed: Got a timeout while waiting for a network command to
complete!"
When i install the latest stable version and the driver from
boilerbots it says:
"Open failed: USB transfer timeout!"

I tried to install it in different ways (following Readme, different
tutorials), but it never works. I then installed OpenKinect
(libfreenect) and it works. But i want to use OpenNI. Anybody got an
idea whats wrong?
Do i have to consider when to plug in the Kinect? It's always blinking
green.

Thanks,
tomate

Ibrahim

Jun 3, 2011, 7:06:01 AM6/3/11
to OpenNI
I think I can help u there
I have made a guide for installing it on Ubuntu. Follow it step by
step and u should have no problems

Cheers
Ibrahim

GUIDE FOR INSTALLING OPENNI DRIVERS FOR KINECT ON LINUX
-Ibrahim Musba

I have done the installation on both 64 bit as well as 32 bit Linux
and had no serious problems as such.

I would recommend Ubuntu 10.10 or greater. I had done it on Ubuntu
11.04

STEP 1
------

Download the latest files from http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles

NOTE: When I tried to download stable release, i got problems during
installation. So I tried the unstable versions and it worked fine.

The links below will direct you to the latest unstable versions
Download the files appropriate for your operating system

1. http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-binaries/20-latest-unstable
2. http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-middleware-binaries/33-latest-unstable
3. http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-hardware-binaries/31-latest-unstable

Make a new folder called kinect
$ cd
$ mkdir kinect
$ cd kinect

and extract the downloaded files into it.

STEP 2
------

Update your linux
$ sudo apt-get update

install these files which are necessary for proper installation of
drivers
$ sudo apt-get install mono-complete
$ sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
$ sudo apt-get install freeglut3-dev

STEP 3
------

The extracted folders in step 1 will be
->OpenNI-Bin-Linux32-v1.1.0.41
->Sensor-Bin-Linux32-v5.0.1.32
->Nite-1.3.1.5

rename it to OpenNI, Sensor, Nite respectively

Download the folder SensorKinect from https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect
to the kinect folder

extract and rename the foler to SensorKinect

STEP 4
------

Go to the folder OpenNI, Sensor, Nite and run sudo ./install.sh

$ cd
$ cd kinect
$ cd OpenNI
$ sudo ./install.sh
$ cd ../Sensor
$ sudo ./install.sh
$ cd ../Nite
$ sudo ./install.sh

Use this license when asked during the installation:
0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4=

$ cd ../SensorKinect/Platform/Linux-x86/CreateRedist/
$ sudo ./RedistMaker
$ cd ../Redist
$ sudo ./install.sh

You should be done by now. In case of any confusion refer the README
in SensorKinect folder.

STEP 5
------

Testing if everything is working fine

Connect you kinect and run the samples from the OpenNI folder

$ cd ~/kinect/OpenNI/Samples/Bin/Release/
(assuming the kinect folder is in home folder, otherwise go to the
respective folder)
$ ./NiViewer
You should get the depth map and image stream on your window.

--DONE--

tomate

Jun 3, 2011, 8:43:48 AM6/3/11
to OpenNI
Hi,

thanks a lot for your answer. I did everything exactly like you said
but i still get the same error message.
Till the end of your STEP 4 everything works fine and there are no
errors. When i try to run the NiViewer it says:
"Open failed: Got a timeout while waiting for a network command to
complete!
Press any key to continue . . ."

I think the programm doesnt get access to the usb devices (doesnt have
the rights). So i tried to configure the rules file, but it didnt
help.
"lsusb" lists the kinect as
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 045e:02ae Microsoft Corp.
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 045e:02ad Microsoft Corp.
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:02b0 Microsoft Corp.

Anyone got an idea whats wrong or how i could encircle the problems
source?

Thanks,
tomate

On 3 Jun., 13:06, Ibrahim <ibrahimmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I can help u there
> I have made a guide for installing it on Ubuntu. Follow it step by
> step and u should have no problems
>
> Cheers
> Ibrahim
>
> GUIDE FOR INSTALLING OPENNI DRIVERS FOR KINECT ON LINUX
> -Ibrahim Musba
>
> I have done the installation on both 64 bit as well as 32 bit Linux
> and had no serious problems as such.
>
> I would recommend Ubuntu 10.10 or greater. I had done it on Ubuntu
> 11.04
>
> STEP 1
> ------
>
> Download the latest files fromhttp://www.openni.org/downloadfiles
>
> NOTE: When I tried to download stable release, i got problems during
> installation. So I tried the unstable versions and it worked fine.
>
> The  links below will direct you to the latest unstable versions
> Download the files appropriate for your operating system
>
> 1.http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-binaries/20-latest-unstable
> 2.http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-middleware-binar...
> 3.http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-hardware-binarie...
>
> Make a new folder called kinect
> $ cd
> $ mkdir kinect
> $ cd kinect
>
> and extract the downloaded files into it.
>
> STEP 2
> ------
>
> Update your linux
> $ sudo apt-get update
>
> install these files which are necessary for proper installation of
> drivers
> $ sudo apt-get install mono-complete
> $ sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
> $ sudo apt-get install freeglut3-dev
>
> STEP 3
> ------
>
> The extracted folders in step 1 will be
> ->OpenNI-Bin-Linux32-v1.1.0.41
> ->Sensor-Bin-Linux32-v5.0.1.32
> ->Nite-1.3.1.5
>
> rename it to OpenNI, Sensor, Nite respectively
>
> Download the folder SensorKinect fromhttps://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect

Balaji S

Jun 3, 2011, 9:21:16 AM6/3/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ibrahim,
I don't have SSE3 supported machine. Please let me if I remove the sse compiler flags from the makefile will it still run properly?

Thank you
Balaji

Thanks,
Balaji Sridharan

Mou

Jul 29, 2011, 6:05:16 AM7/29/11
to OpenNI
hi,

i'm trying to make the installation following your guide, but i have
problems in the step 4:

Installing OpenNI
****************************

copying shared libraries...OK
copying executables...OK
copying include files...OK
creating database directory...OK
registering module 'libnimMockNodes.so'.../usr/bin/niReg: 1: Syntax
error: "(" unexpected

someone knows why is failing?? if i try to install the sensor i get a
similar error, and if i try to install the nite i get this:
./install.sh: línea 27: /usr/bin/niReg: no se puede ejecutar el
fichero binario (line 27 ... the binary file could not be executed)

thanks in advice (and sorry for my english :P)

On Jun 3, 1:06 pm, Ibrahim <ibrahimmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I can help u there
> I have made a guide for installing it on Ubuntu. Follow it step by
> step and u should have no problems
>
> Cheers
> Ibrahim
>
> GUIDE FOR INSTALLING OPENNI DRIVERS FOR KINECT ON LINUX [...]

HairyFotr

Jul 30, 2011, 12:02:59 PM7/30/11
to OpenNI
Mou, check if niReg exists and is marked as executable:
ls -la /usr/bin/niReg

niReg could also be corrupted - try to download the binaries again, or
try building from source.

Balaji S, change the SSE_GENERATION flags from 3 to 2 in these files:
./Platform/Linux-x86/Build/Common/Platform.x86
./Platform/Linux-x86/Redist/Samples/Build/Common/Platform.x86