New "unstable" version of OpenNI & Sensor modules with MacOSX support!

Ziv Hendel

Jan 3, 2011, 6:03:31 PM1/3/11
to OpenNI
Hi Everyone,
Happy new year!

As a gift for the beginning of 2011, there's a new "unstable" version
of OpenNI & Sensor modules with MacOSX support!

Other new features:
* Added support for multiple sensors.
* Improved README! (much more detailed instructions...)
* Some bug fixes...

Previous version features:
* A brand new .NET wrapper and .NET samples (OpenNI.net).

NITE binaries for all supported platforms (including MacOSX) will also
be released very soon.

The source code is located at:
https://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI/tree/unstable
https://github.com/PrimeSense/Sensor/tree/unstable

GitHub:
git clone https://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI.git -b unstable
git clone https://github.com/PrimeSense/Sensor.git -b unstable

Binaries:
Windows:
http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-Win32-v1.0.0.25.exe
http://downloads.primesense.com/unstable/Sensor-Bin-Win32-v5.0.0.25.exe
Ubuntu 10.10 x86:
http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-Linux32-v1.0.0.25.tar.bz2
http://downloads.primesense.com/unstable/Sensor-Bin-Linux32-v5.0.0.25.tar.bz2
Ubuntu 10.10 x64:
http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-Linux64-v1.0.0.25.tar.bz2
http://downloads.primesense.com/unstable/Sensor-Bin-Linux64-v5.0.0.25.tar.bz2
MacOSX 10.6:
http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-MacOSX-v1.0.0.25.tar.bz2
http://downloads.primesense.com/unstable/Sensor-Bin-MacOSX-v5.0.0.25.tar.bz2

We're really amazed from the awesome response of the community!
And thanks for everyone that's helped.

Ziv.

Ziv Hendel

Jan 3, 2011, 8:20:48 PM1/3/11
to OpenNI
Just a small update: MacOSX now uses universal binaries (both i386 and
x86_64) so please redownload if this is important for you.

Enjoy,
ZIv.

On Jan 4, 1:03 am, Ziv Hendel <z...@openni.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> Happy new year!
>
> As a gift for the beginning of 2011, there's a new "unstable" version
> of OpenNI & Sensor modules with MacOSX support!
>
> Other new features:
> * Added support for multiple sensors.
> * Improved README! (much more detailed instructions...)
> * Some bug fixes...
>
> Previous version features:
> * A brand new .NET wrapper and .NET samples (OpenNI.net).
>
> NITE binaries for all supported platforms (including MacOSX) will also
> be released very soon.
>
> The source code is located at:https://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI/tree/unstablehttps://github.com/PrimeSense/Sensor/tree/unstable
>
> GitHub:
> git clonehttps://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI.git-b unstable
> git clonehttps://github.com/PrimeSense/Sensor.git-b unstable
>
> Binaries:
> Windows:http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-Win32-v1.0....http://downloads.primesense.com/unstable/Sensor-Bin-Win32-v5.0.0.25.exe
> Ubuntu 10.10 x86:http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-Linux32-v1....http://downloads.primesense.com/unstable/Sensor-Bin-Linux32-v5.0.0.25...
> Ubuntu 10.10 x64:http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-Linux64-v1....http://downloads.primesense.com/unstable/Sensor-Bin-Linux64-v5.0.0.25...
> MacOSX 10.6:http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-MacOSX-v1.0...http://downloads.primesense.com/unstable/Sensor-Bin-MacOSX-v5.0.0.25....

Rui Marinho

Jan 3, 2011, 8:25:54 PM1/3/11
to OpenNI
i m afraid... LOL lot's of configs to do right?

On 4 Jan, 01:20, Ziv Hendel <z...@openni.org> wrote:
> Just a small update: MacOSX now uses universal binaries (both i386 and
> x86_64) so please redownload if this is important for you.
>
> Enjoy,
> ZIv.
>
> On Jan 4, 1:03 am, Ziv Hendel <z...@openni.org> wrote:
>

> > Hi Everyone,
> > Happy new year!
>
> > As a gift for the beginning of 2011, there's a new "unstable" version
> > of OpenNI & Sensor modules with MacOSX support!
>
> > Other new features:
> > * Added support for multiple sensors.
> > * Improved README! (much more detailed instructions...)
> > * Some bug fixes...
>
> > Previous version features:
> > * A brand new .NET wrapper and .NET samples (OpenNI.net).
>
> > NITE binaries for all supported platforms (including MacOSX) will also
> > be released very soon.
>
> > The source code is located at:https://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI/tree/unstablehttps://github.com/Prim...
>
> > GitHub:
> > git clonehttps://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI.git-bunstable
> > git clonehttps://github.com/PrimeSense/Sensor.git-bunstable
>
> > Binaries:
> > Windows:http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-Win32-v1.0....
> > Ubuntu 10.10 x86:http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-Linux32-v1.......
> > Ubuntu 10.10 x64:http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-Linux64-v1.......
> > MacOSX 10.6:http://openni.org/sites/default/files/unstable/OpenNI-Bin-MacOSX-v1.0.......
>
> > We're really amazed from the awesome response of the community!
> > And thanks for everyone that's helped.
>
> > Ziv.- Ocultar texto citado -
>
> - Mostrar texto citado -

Suat Gedikli

Jan 3, 2011, 8:26:13 PM1/3/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ziv,

the multi-device support which i mentioned is not complete... so did you
made further changes? If not, i did and it works find right now. But is
not commited yet... will be done today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
Suat

George Toledo

Jan 3, 2011, 8:29:11 PM1/3/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone involved. That's great news!

-gt

George Toledo

The information contained in this E-mail and any attachments may be confidential.
If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or return E-mail.
You should not use or disclose the contents of this E-mail or any of the attachments for any purpose or to any persons.

lytic

Jan 4, 2011, 12:40:13 AM1/4/11
to OpenNI
Hi,

Can someone please provide instructions on how to use this latest
unstable OpenNI+Sensor+NITE with a Kinect?

Thanks
-lytic

On Jan 3, 7:29 pm, George Toledo <gtole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone involved. That's great news!
>
> -gt

> > --
>
> --
> George Toledo
> gtole...@gmail.comwww.georgetoledo.com

Christoph Beckmann

Jan 4, 2011, 10:52:18 AM1/4/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hello, i've tried to install OpenNi and PrimeSense's Sensor on OS X 10.6.5 -- however it does't work for me.

I've used the sources from the respective github-repos (unstable branches) to compile. I've done it according to the readme-files and added the licences.

The samples (i.e., NiViewser and all SampleNi*) quit with the following message:

wilmer:Release christoph$ ./NiViewer
One or more of the following nodes could not be enumerated:

Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25: The device is not connected!

Press any key to continue . . .

In the USB Prober app the Kinect-Sensor-Device is shown as:
 11: Xbox NUI Motor@fa141200  <class IOUSBDevice>
 12: Xbox NUI Audio@fa141100  <class IOUSBDevice>
 13: Xbox NUI Camera@fa141300  <class IOUSBDevice>

I don't have any idea what's going wrong -- is it a general problem, or is it specific to my machine?

Hints for solving this are welcome,
Chris

pach

Jan 4, 2011, 2:20:19 PM1/4/11
to OpenNI
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. It's compiling fine, but have this
error on execution :

One or more of the following nodes could not be enumerated:
Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25: The device is not connected!

From some other threads looks to be a driver problem.
any idea how to correct it ?

thanks,
thomas.

On Jan 4, 4:52 pm, Christoph Beckmann <beckmann....@googlemail.com>

Alex D

Jan 4, 2011, 7:36:46 PM1/4/11
to OpenNI
I'm having the same problem.

Dev Gupta

Jan 4, 2011, 7:44:02 PM1/4/11
to OpenNI
I would love to know also. I'm having serious trouble getting the
device "connected". I always get a device not connected error.

Thanks

Suat Gedikli

Jan 4, 2011, 7:55:05 PM1/4/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi, are you using Kinect with the original Primesense drivers? That will
not work, since the driver does not support Kinect natively. Either use
the drivers from ROS if using linux:
https://github.com/ros-pkg-git/Sensor

or the ones from avin for Windows:
https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect

Cheers,
Suat Gedikli

Nicholas Butko

Jan 4, 2011, 7:59:07 PM1/4/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com, openn...@googlegroups.com
Has ROS updated to use the new osx compatible libraries?

Suat Gedikli

Jan 4, 2011, 8:37:11 PM1/4/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
unfort. not yet...

OopsHeadshot

Jan 4, 2011, 8:40:20 PM1/4/11
to OpenNI
It seems as if the PrimeSensor driver has a problem.

On Jan 4, 5:37 pm, Suat Gedikli <suat.gedi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> unfort. not yet...
>

> On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 16:59 -0800, Nicholas Butko wrote:
> > Has ROS updated to use the new osx compatible libraries?

Dev Gupta

Jan 5, 2011, 12:10:12 AM1/5/11
to OpenNI
That did it.

Christoph Beckmann

Jan 5, 2011, 4:18:32 AM1/5/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Could you please explain the trick? Did you use the ROS-package for OS x?

Thank in advance,
Chris

Neo

Jan 5, 2011, 4:27:40 PM1/5/11
to OpenNI
I'm having the same problem.
Has Anybody managed to compile a SensorKinect module for 1.0.0.25?

Thank you.

On 5 ene, 10:18, Christoph Beckmann <beckmann....@googlemail.com>

Thomas Pachoud

Jan 6, 2011, 8:00:12 AM1/6/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I realize to compile and make it work for kinect on OSX with last ros git package https://github.com/ros-pkg-git/Sensor/
The NiViewer example loads fine.
Is their any news about NITE on OSX?

Thomas Pachoud
ingénieur multimédia IMAC
www.creapach.fr

Jacob Fenwick

Jan 13, 2011, 2:30:09 AM1/13/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
I've downloaded:
OpenNI-Bin-MacOSX-v1.0.0.25
Nite-1.3.0.18  (Mac OS X binary)
Sensor-Bin-MacOSX-v5.0.0.25

For each I've run:
sudo ./install

However, when I try to run them I get the same error others were getting.

In Sensor-Bin-MacOSX-v5.0.0.25/Bin:
./XnSensorServer
Starting sensor server...
Running...

Then, in OpenNI-Bin-MacOSX-v1.0.0.25/Samples/Bin/Release:
./Sample-NiSimpleRead
One or more of the following nodes could not be enumerated:
Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25: The device is not connected!

I don't think I want to resort to playing with whatever the ROS driver is.
If someone knows how to get the Prime Sense drivers working I'd love to hear how!

Jacob

Rhys Lewis

Jan 13, 2011, 3:34:22 PM1/13/11
to OpenNI
Have you installed libusb from macports? If you have macports
installed, it is

sudo port install libusb-devel +universal

to install it (see this thread
http://groups.google.com/group/openni-dev/browse_thread/thread/bda75446763c4dd1/7214c45ddbefd0fc?lnk=gst&q=port+install+libusb#7214c45ddbefd0fc)

On Jan 13, 8:30 pm, Jacob Fenwick <jacob.fenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've downloaded:
> OpenNI-Bin-MacOSX-v1.0.0.25
> Nite-1.3.0.18  (Mac OS X binary)
> Sensor-Bin-MacOSX-v5.0.0.25
>
> For each I've run:
> sudo ./install
>
> However, when I try to run them I get the same error others were getting.
>
> In Sensor-Bin-MacOSX-v5.0.0.25/Bin:
> ./XnSensorServer
> Starting sensor server...
> Running...
>
> Then, in OpenNI-Bin-MacOSX-v1.0.0.25/Samples/Bin/Release:
> ./Sample-NiSimpleRead
> One or more of the following nodes could not be enumerated:
> Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25: The device is not connected!
>
> I don't think I want to resort to playing with whatever the ROS driver is.
> If someone knows how to get the Prime Sense drivers working I'd love to hear
> how!
>
> Jacob
>
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Thomas Pachoud <thomas.pach...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Ok, I realize to compile and make it work for kinect on OSX with last ros
> > git packagehttps://github.com/ros-pkg-git/Sensor/
> > The NiViewer example loads fine.
> > Is their any news about NITE on OSX?
>
> > On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Neo <neo....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I'm having the same problem.
> >> Has Anybody managed to compile a SensorKinect module for 1.0.0.25?
>
> >> Thank you.

> >> x?

> >> --
>
> > --
> > Thomas Pachoud
> > ingénieur multimédia IMAC
> >www.creapach.fr
>
> > --
> > .

Jacob Fenwick

Jan 13, 2011, 8:57:07 PM1/13/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I installed libusb using macports.

Oddly enough, I've gotten OpenNI working through the openframeworks patch roxlu made, but the actual OpenNI examples don't work.

Jacob

Jacob Fenwick

Jan 15, 2011, 12:47:21 AM1/15/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
This is the output from niReg -l:
OpenNI version is 1.0.0.25.

Registered modules:

/usr/lib/libnimMockNodes.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Device: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25
Depth: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25
IR: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25
Image: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25
Audio: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25

/usr/lib/libnimCodecs.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Codec: OpenNI/16zP/1.0.0.25
Codec: OpenNI/16zT/1.0.0.25
Codec: OpenNI/Im8z/1.0.0.25
Codec: OpenNI/JPEG/1.0.0.25
Codec: OpenNI/NONE/1.0.0.25

/usr/lib/libnimRecorder.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Recorder: OpenNI/Recorder/1.0.0.25
Player: OpenNI/Player/1.0.0.25

/usr/lib/libXnDeviceSensorV2.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25
Depth: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25
Image: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25
IR: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25
Audio: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25

/usr/lib/libXnDeviceFile.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Player: PrimeSense/File/1.0.0.25

/usr/lib/libXnVFeatures.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Scene: PrimeSense/XnVSceneAnalyzer/1.3.0.18
User: PrimeSense/XnVSkeletonGenerator/1.3.0.18

/usr/lib/libXnVHandGenerator.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Gesture: PrimeSense/XnVGestureGenrator/1.3.0.18
Hands: PrimeSense/XnVHandTracker/1.3.0.18

It looks like the PrimeSense driver is registered with OpenNI.

This is the output from system_profiler SPUSBDataType:
USB:

    USB High-Speed Bus:

      Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
      Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI
      PCI Device ID: 0x0aa6
      PCI Revision ID: 0x00b1
      PCI Vendor ID: 0x10de
      Bus Number: 0x24

        Built-in iSight:

          Product ID: 0x8507
          Vendor ID: 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.)
          Version:  4.18
          Serial Number: 8H8CF00T940Y3A00
          Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
          Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
          Location ID: 0x24400000
          Current Available (mA): 500
          Current Required (mA): 500

        Hub:

          Product ID: 0x005a
          Vendor ID: 0x0409  (NEC Corporation)
          Version:  1.00
          Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
          Location ID: 0x24100000
          Current Available (mA): 500
          Current Required (mA): 100

            Xbox NUI Camera:

              Product ID: 0x02ae
              Vendor ID: 0x045e  (Microsoft Corporation)
              Version:  1.0b
              Serial Number: B00364608870048B
              Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
              Manufacturer: Microsoft
              Location ID: 0x24130000
              Current Available (mA): 500
              Current Required (mA): 16

            Xbox NUI Audio:

              Product ID: 0x02ad
              Vendor ID: 0x045e  (Microsoft Corporation)
              Version:  1.00
              Serial Number: B44882103433048B
              Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
              Manufacturer: Microsoft
              Location ID: 0x24110000
              Current Available (mA): 500
              Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

            Xbox NUI Motor:

              Product ID: 0x02b0
              Vendor ID: 0x045e  (Microsoft Corporation)
              Version:  1.05
              Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
              Manufacturer: Microsoft
              Location ID: 0x24120000
              Current Available (mA): 500
              Current Required (mA): 100

I'm not sure where to go in terms of diagnosing it at this point.

Any ideas?

Jacob

Amir Hirsch

Jan 15, 2011, 7:42:17 AM1/15/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
you probably need this: https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect

i suspect the sensor driver you're using is not for the kinect, but it should be.

this is like a recurring issue.

George Toledo

Jan 15, 2011, 8:47:14 AM1/15/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
The current scenario with drivers is probably pretty unintuitive to people, given that Avin's driver isn't with the OpenNI/NITE stuff on the OpenNI site (that I'm aware of at least), but it's fundamental in what many are doing.
George Toledo

Jacob Fenwick

Jan 15, 2011, 11:31:26 AM1/15/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I got it working using Avin's drivers.

That is fairly counter intuitive :\ especially when the OpenNI site says the newest unstable PrimeSensor Module has OS X support.

Jacob

SteveElbows

Jan 15, 2011, 11:39:35 AM1/15/11
to OpenNI
I think the problem with these driver issues (ie people not realising
they need modified Kinect version) is a consequence of the grey area
that exists with regards using Kinect sensor on computers right now. I
expect PrimeSense have to be very careful about these issues, and they
cannot really talk about the Kinect-compatible driver version and they
probably have to be very careful how they even mention the word
Kinect. (all they can really say is that Microsoft is a customer using
the PrimeSense hardware for the Kinect sensor). And as I mentioned
before, the term Kinect does not just mean the sensor, it is also
software which Microsoft have made which is nothing to do with
PrimeSense really.

One thing that could help this situation is if we have an unofficial
OpenNI website of some sort where we do not have to worry about issues
with mentioning the Kinect Sensor-enabled version of the driver. There
are already sites which explain what files people need, its just
people may not find these instructions until they have spent time
getting the wrong driver & having problems and having to ask for help.

Steve

On Jan 15, 4:31 pm, Jacob Fenwick <jacob.fenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I got it working using Avin's drivers.
>
> That is fairly counter intuitive :\ especially when the OpenNI site says the
> newest unstable PrimeSensor Module has OS X support.
>
> Jacob
>

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 8:47 AM, George Toledo <gtole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The current scenario with drivers is probably pretty unintuitive to people,
> > given that Avin's driver isn't with the OpenNI/NITE stuff on the OpenNI site
> > (that I'm aware of at least), but it's fundamental in what many are doing.
>
> > On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Amir Hirsch <a...@catalystac.com> wrote:
>
> >> you probably need this:https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect
>
> >> i suspect the sensor driver you're using is not for the kinect, but it
> >> should be.
>
> >> this is like a recurring issue.

> > George Toledo
> > gtole...@gmail.com
> >www.georgetoledo.com
>
> > The information contained in this E-mail and any

> read more »

Asaf

Jan 23, 2011, 10:31:26 AM1/23/11
to OpenNI
Same problem here... On Win XP SP3
I installed the following packages (all from the unstable branch):
1. OpenNI-Bin-Win32-v1.0.0.25.exe
2. NITE-Bin-Win32-v1.3.0.18.exe
3. Sensor-Bin-Win32-v5.0.0.25.exe
When I run UserTracker.net sample, the code "this.context = new
Context(SAMPLE_XML_FILE);" throws an exception:
Error: One or more of the following nodes could not be enumerated:
Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25: The device is not connected!
What am I missing? It worked just fine before I upgraded. The
install went just fine, and in the device driver I see all three
devices under "CL Devices":
NUI Audio
NUI Camera
NUI Motor
Thanks,
Asaf.

On Jan 5, 7:10 am, Dev Gupta <kaiserollofd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That did it.
>
> On Jan 4, 7:55 pm, Suat Gedikli <suat.gedi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi, are you using Kinect with the original Primesense drivers? That will
> >notwork, since the driver doesnotsupport Kinect natively. Either use
> > the drivers from ROS if using linux:https://github.com/ros-pkg-git/Sensor
>
> > or the ones from avin for Windows:https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect
>
> > Cheers,
> > Suat Gedikli
>
> > On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 16:44 -0800, Dev Gupta wrote:
> > > I would love to know also. I'm having serious trouble getting the
> > >device"connected". I always get adevicenotconnectederror.
>
> > > Thanks

Asaf

Jan 23, 2011, 11:16:33 AM1/23/11
to OpenNI
I tried the avin sensor and that didn't work as well...

Is there a certain install order that must be followed? If so what is
it?

Asaf

Jan 25, 2011, 8:37:04 AM1/25/11
to OpenNI
Hello all,

Got the problem solved. I can't find the message that lead me into
this problem. However, when I looked up how to use the motor, some
thread here had a link to CL NUI Platform stating that it is
compatible with OpenNI. So I installed the platform and then my
problems started.

Since I didn't bother to uninstall it, since I didn't suspect it
installed other drivers, every time I reinstalled OpenNI, I still got
the old drivers (probably following the problem stated in Tom's
reply). Eventually, it hit me, and after uninstalling the CL NUI
platform, and then reinstalling the drivers (with avin's Kinect port)
it worked again.

If you're thinking about CL NUI, it is NOT COMPATIBLE.

Thanks to all here that helped.
Asaf.