How to setup Kinect Driver with OpenNI in Windows

Bruno De Araujo

Dec 8, 2010, 6:41:15 PM12/8/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I downloaded and installed OpenNi and PrimeSense Sensor Driver.
Do they already work with the Kinect in Windows?
or we should using combined with linfreenect Zephod-win32 driver?

I tried the PrimeSense .inf (PrimeSensor Development Kit 2.x to 5.x and  Reference Design), however the driver could not start (error code 10).

I am using Window 7 64 bits, however I would like a 32 bits dev environment.

Best Regards and Congratulation for the OpenNI iniative and Prime Sense,

Best Regards,

--
Bruno  Araujo

Ken Conley

Dec 8, 2010, 6:43:56 PM12/8/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruno,

We have some patches for the Kinect in our repo:

https://github.com/ros-pkg-git/Sensor

This is still a work in progress, but all of the Kinects in our office
appear to work with these patches now.

regards,
Ken

Bruno De Araujo

Dec 8, 2010, 7:18:30 PM12/8/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

I generated the sensor redist with your version and installed it.
However I do not understand how to proceed after it,

when I plug the Kinect it still try to recognize Xbox NUI Stuff (which I removed).  I tried to select the driver directly (add legacy hw) selecting the inf from the OpenNI Driver directory installation but no success.

Any Idea?

Best Regards,

Bruno
--
Bruno Rodrigues De Araujo
Visualization and Intelligent MultiModal Interfaces Group - INESC-ID

Ken Conley

Dec 8, 2010, 7:25:37 PM12/8/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention:

We attempted to make our patches compatible with the PS camera as well
(not 100%, but working towards it). Because of this, you have to set
environment variables to select the Kinect vendor IDs:

XN_SENSOR_VENDOR_ID=0x045E
XN_SENSOR_PRODUCT_ID=0x02AE

Sorry for any confusion.

- Ken

avin

Dec 8, 2010, 7:49:25 PM12/8/10
to OpenNI
Hi Bruno!

I've prebuilt a kinect supported version and put it in:
https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect

You can simply run the sensor installtion from the bin there...
Hopefully it will work for you!

And if you want to try NITE, you can look at the readme file :-)

avin.

On Dec 9, 2:18 am, Bruno De Araujo <bdeara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> I generated the sensor redist with your version and installed it.
> However I do not understand how to proceed after it,
>
> when I plug the Kinect it still try to recognize Xbox NUI Stuff (which
> I removed).  I tried to select the driver directly (add legacy hw) selecting
> the inf from the OpenNI Driver directory installation but no success.
>
> Any Idea?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Bruno
>

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Ken Conley <k...@willowgarage.com> wrote:
> > Hi Bruno,
>
> > We have some patches for the Kinect in our repo:
>
> >https://github.com/ros-pkg-git/Sensor
>
> > This is still a work in progress, but all of the Kinects in our office
> > appear to work with these patches now.
>
> > regards,
> > Ken
>
> > On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Bruno De Araujo <bdeara...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I downloaded and installed OpenNi and PrimeSense Sensor Driver.
> > > Do they already work with the Kinect in Windows?
> > > or we should using combined with linfreenect Zephod-win32 driver?
> > > I tried the PrimeSense .inf (PrimeSensor Development Kit 2.x to 5.x and
> > >  Reference Design), however the driver could not start (error code 10).
> > > I am using Window 7 64 bits, however I would like a 32 bits dev
> > environment.
> > > Best Regards and Congratulation for the OpenNI iniative and Prime Sense,
> > > Best Regards,
> > > --
> > > Bruno  Araujo
>
> > > --
>
> > --
>
> --
> Bruno Rodrigues De Araujo
> Visualization and Intelligent MultiModal Interfaces Group - INESC-ID
> Department of Information Systems and Computer Science
> IST/Technical University of Lisbon
> Avenida Professor Cavaco Silva, Room 2-N9.21
> 2780-990 Porto Salvo, Portugal
> Tel: +351.21.4233566 (INESC-ID TagusPark)
> Tel: +351.21.3100271 (INESC-ID Alameda)
> Fax: +351.21.3145843
> mailto:b...@vimmi.inesc-id.pthttp://vimmi.inesc-id.pt/~brar

Bruno De Araujo

Dec 8, 2010, 10:33:21 PM12/8/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Avin,

Finally I was able to run the NiViewer Demo
using your binary version /bin/SensorKinect-Win32-5.0.0.exe
and performing the manual installation of the KinectMotor and KinectCamera Driver.

After changing the resolution, NITE examples are also working.

I will try to compile the examples.

Thanks,

Bruno

Bruno Rodrigues De Araujo
Visualization and Intelligent MultiModal Interfaces Group - INESC-ID
Department of Information Systems and Computer Science
IST/Technical University of Lisbon
Avenida Professor Cavaco Silva, Room 2-N9.21
2780-990 Porto Salvo, Portugal
Tel: +351.21.4233566 (INESC-ID TagusPark)
Tel: +351.21.3100271 (INESC-ID Alameda)
Fax: +351.21.3145843

likeBVH

Dec 9, 2010, 3:09:13 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
PrimeSensor Development Kit Driver could not start (error code 10).

I try to summarize so that other people can avoid similar problems

Questions:
a) Where are the drivers?

https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect

avin2-SensorKinect-8559efd\Platform\Win32\Driver

b) Procedure

select the driver directly (add legacy hw)
You will see

1) Kinect Motor, Kinect Camera
2) PrimeSensor Development Kit 2.x to 5.x and
Reference Design

Questions: do we need to install all 1) and 2) ?
<ONLY INSTALL THE KINECT MOTOR AND CAMERA>

c)avin2-SensorKinect-8559efd\Bin
run
SensorKinect-Win32-5.0.0.exe

d) Install OpenNI and NITE

With this, I can get OpenNI and NITE applications to work

Not all work currently, pls feedbacks if I am missing something, so
others will not waste the time

likeBVH

Dec 9, 2010, 3:27:02 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI

Is there a need to set env parameters?

e..g

XN_SENSOR_VENDOR_ID=0x045E
XN_SENSOR_PRODUCT_ID=0x02AE

Using Avin driver,

I deleted all these env and still work. The answer is no.

Plain simple, run avin driver.

likeBVH

Dec 9, 2010, 3:29:23 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Is there a need to use the modified GlobalDefaults.ini that is more
suitable for Kinect.

This, we need feedbacks, some apps work, some apps do not.

rickypetit

Dec 9, 2010, 3:44:54 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Hi,

I am trying to use the NITE in Windows 7 32bits.

I installed manually the driver in https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect
and managed to get the Nui Viewer to work. However, when I try the
samples, all of them say "Can not create a node of the selected type",
an error thrown by the function xnInitFromXmlFile. I have edited the
xml files in the data directory adding the license key provided by the
nui group and setting the resolution to 640x480, like this ( Sample-
Tracking.xml )

<OpenNI>
<Licenses>
<License vendor="PrimeSense" key="0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4="/>
</Licenses>
<Log writeToConsole="true" writeToFile="false">
<!-- 0 - Verbose, 1 - Info, 2 - Warning, 3 - Error (default) -->
<LogLevel value="3"/>
<Masks>
<Mask name="ALL" on="false"/>
</Masks>
<Dumps>
</Dumps>
</Log>
<ProductionNodes>
<Node type="Depth">
<Configuration>
<MapOutputMode xRes="640" yRes="480" FPS="30"/>
<Mirror on="true"/>
</Configuration>
</Node>
<Node type="Gesture" />
<Node type="Hands" />
</ProductionNodes>
</OpenNI>

Any idea on how to solve this?

Ken Conley

Dec 9, 2010, 3:53:29 AM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
I would check your modules.xml file (I use Linux, so I have no idea
where it is on Windows). I've only seen this error when the plugin
isn't registered, or the libraries are not linked properly.

If your NITE installation is correct, you should see some NITE
libraries registered in it. The niReg tool is what is responsible for
updating this file, but I have no idea how it works on Windows.

- Ken

Ken Conley

Dec 9, 2010, 3:54:53 AM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:29 AM, likeBVH <jim...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is there  a need to use the modified GlobalDefaults.ini that is more
> suitable for Kinect.

Yes. The parameters for the Kinect are different from the PSDK5.0
device, which is what the file is written for.

> This, we need feedbacks, some apps work, some apps do not.

On Linux, I am able to run Sample-NiUserTracker (probably the best
demo), the viewers/readers, players, point viewer, and probably a
couple others that I can't remember. AFAIK, avin's driver is similar
to ours (ros-pkg-git/Sensor) and pulls in some of our changes, so
presumably you would have similar (or better) results.

- Ken

likeBVH

Dec 9, 2010, 4:25:43 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
After getting it to work, I keep getting
could not start (error code 10) for the Kinect Camera driver.

I tried once, after restart, it works again. There is a conflict
constantly between the Xbox Kinect Camera driver.

My conf is vista env 32 bit.

I have not figure out how to stablize the driver installation. WIth
the Xbox Kinect Camera driver, there is no such issue.

likeBVH

Dec 9, 2010, 4:27:22 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
When the driver is working

I can run the NITE Stickfigure, however, still trying to figure out
how to calibrate and display the skeleton.

Now, the main issue for me is to have a stabilize driver in win32
vista env.

rickypetit

Dec 9, 2010, 4:28:09 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Hi

i don't have any modules.xml file, maybe that is the problem ;)

Regards,

Ricard

On 9 Des, 09:53, Ken Conley <k...@willowgarage.com> wrote:
> I would check your modules.xml file (I use Linux, so I have no idea
> where it is on Windows).  I've only seen this error when the plugin
> isn't registered, or the libraries are not linked properly.
>
> If your NITE installation is correct, you should see some NITE
> libraries registered in it.  The niReg tool is what is responsible for
> updating this file, but I have no idea how it works on Windows.
>
>  - Ken
>
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:44 AM, rickypetit <ricard.bor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I am trying to use the NITE in Windows 7 32bits.
>
> > I installed manually  the driver inhttps://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect

likeBVH

Dec 9, 2010, 4:31:02 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Right now, there are so many variables, not sure what is actually
needed and what is not, trial and error, right now.

likeBVH

Dec 9, 2010, 4:34:50 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
If Avin borrow some of the the codes, do we need to set up these env
variables in win32?

XN_SENSOR_VENDOR_ID=0x045E
XN_SENSOR_PRODUCT_ID=0x02AE

At willowgarage site, there are 3 env variables, someone explain pls.

Radu Bogdan Rusu

Dec 9, 2010, 4:38:23 AM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com, likeBVH
likeBVH,

Yes - the three variables define the use of different sensors with the OpenNI interface. For now, that's the best way to
get multiple (different) cameras working. You need to use all of them with our drivers/engine.

We're working with our colleagues from PrimeSense to provide a better mechanism for this, but in the meantime, this will
have to do.

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://pointclouds.org

Eddie

Dec 9, 2010, 4:44:15 AM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Under Windows, the modules.xml file is located in %OPEN_NI_INSTALL_PATH%\Data\modules.xml.

Eddie.

Discover Natural Interaction with PrimeSense at CES 2011 south hall 4 booth 36255

rickypetit

Dec 9, 2010, 4:59:01 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Hi,

after looking at modules.xml, it seems all correct (all the paths are
ok), but it keep complaining with this message:

InitFromXml failed: Can't create any node of the requested type!

Regards,

Ricard

On 9 Des, 10:44, Eddie <eddie.co...@primesense.com> wrote:
> Under Windows, the modules.xml file is located
> in %OPEN_NI_INSTALL_PATH%\Data\modules.xml.
>
> Eddie.
> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE HE
> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable
> {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
> mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99;
> mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt
> 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
> mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New
> Roman","serif";}

alx5962

Dec 9, 2010, 6:54:44 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
"InitFromXml failed: Can't create any node of the requested type! "
error appears when Kinect is not plugged here, Be sure to remove
existing kinect drivers (libusb, openNUI) then install the one from C:
\Program Files\Prime Sense\Sensor\Driver.

OpenNI samples work fine here but not the ones from NITE, as I have
the following error :
Setting resolution to QVGA
InitFromXml failed: Device Protocol: Bad Parameter sent!

I checked the exe and the following xml is called : C:\Program Files
\Prime Sense\NITE\Data\Sample-Tracking.xml
I tried to change some parameters (like resolution) but still setting
to QVGA even if put 640*480.

I think something need to be changed in the ini file : C:\Program Files
\Prime Sense\Sensor\Data\GlobalDefaults.ini but haven't found what
yet.

Alex
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Moshe Blitz

Dec 9, 2010, 7:25:15 AM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please take a look at Skeleton Extraction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8vgCnb9_0
It start with the calibration pose.

Regards,
Moshe Blitz
Support Manager
Prime Sense LTD

Oz Magal

Dec 9, 2010, 7:36:17 AM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
You should disregard the "Setting resolution to QVGA" printout - it's from the hands generator's implementation. This is not an error.

Dec 9, 2010, 7:49:23 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Ok; any idea about the bad parameter error in the device protocol ?

CY

Dec 9, 2010, 8:15:21 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
This is how I make it work,

For the skeleton sample, open up your NITE/Data/Sample-User.xml and
replace the content with these

<OpenNI>
<Licenses>
<License vendor="PrimeSense" key="0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4="/>
</Licenses>
<Log writeToConsole="false" writeToFile="false">
<!-- 0 - Verbose, 1 - Info, 2 - Warning, 3 - Error (default) -->
<LogLevel value="3"/>
<Masks>
<Mask name="ALL" on="true"/>
</Masks>
<Dumps>
</Dumps>
</Log>
<ProductionNodes>
<Node type="Image" name="Image1">
<Configuration>
<MapOutputMode xRes="640" yRes="480" FPS="30"/>
<Mirror on="true"/>
</Configuration>
</Node>
<Node type="Depth" name="Depth1">
<Configuration>
<MapOutputMode xRes="640" yRes="480" FPS="30"/>
<Mirror on="true"/>
</Configuration>
</Node>
<Node type="User" name="User1"/>
<!--
<Node type="Audio" name="Audio1">
</Node>

-->
</ProductionNodes>
</OpenNI>

For Sample-Scene.xml and Sample-Tracking.xml, make sure you uncomment
all the licenses node or replace with

<Licenses>
<License vendor="PrimeSense" key="0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4="/>
</Licenses>

Chris OShea

Dec 9, 2010, 8:57:17 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI

Hi

I am on Window XP Pro SP3. I use CodeBlocks not VS, but actually just
trying to see if the sensor and examples work so far.

Have installed using https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect and in
device manager I see PrimeSensor > Kinect Camera & Kinect Motor.

When I go to run anything in C:\Program Files\OpenNI\Samples\Bin
\Release it says missing MSVCR100.dll

I don't have this DLL (not using VS), so I downloaded it and put it in
the same folder. However when I run I still get the error. Any ideas?
Anything I am missing? Thanks

alx5962

Dec 9, 2010, 9:13:03 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
I edited every xml files with correct licence key but I still have the
bad parameter error :(
Also, even if I specified verbose debug on console in each xml file, I
haven't more infos about this parameter error.... Also where are the
log files saved ?

Thanks

Bruno De Araujo

Dec 9, 2010, 9:57:39 AM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com

Lior Cohen

Dec 9, 2010, 10:07:13 AM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Dear alx5962

The log files are saved in the same folder of your executable file under a "Log" folder. The log file name also contains the running date and time.

Lior Cohen | Europ & APAC FAE | PrimeSense | Office: +972-3-769-2266
Mobile: +972-54-204-4249| Fax: +972-54-769-2200
28 Habarzel St. Ramat Hahayal Tel Aviv | www.primesense.com

discover Natural Interaction with us at CES 2011 south hall 4 booth 36255

Dec 9, 2010, 10:54:00 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Dear Lior,

So there's a problem I guess,
I specified <Log writeToConsole="true" writeToFile="true"> <LogLevel
value="0"/> in every xml files and not a single log file is created...
And as I run as adminstrator so it's not a right problem.

"InitFromXml failed: Device Protocol: Bad Parameter sent!" and as only
Sample-Tracking.xml in the sample I'm trying so I need to figure out
the problem in the code.

Alon Neubach

Dec 9, 2010, 11:00:46 AM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi alx5962,

Which OS are you running?

-Alon

discover Natural Interaction with us at CES 2011 south hall 4 booth 36255

Dec 9, 2010, 11:05:52 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
I just found out a log was created in : C:\Program Files\Prime Sense
\Sensor\Bin\Log

So depth gain is the problem ;

1611265 [VERBOSE] XnProperty.cpp 74 Setting Firmware.DepthGain (21) to
30...
1622382 [WARNING] XnHostProtocol.cpp 369 Received NACK: 5
1622420 [VERBOSE] XnHostProtocol.cpp 909 Retrying to set the param...
rc=198653
1622430 [ERROR] XnHostProtocol.cpp 915 Failed setting [21] to [30]:
Device Protocol: Bad Parameter sent!
1622439 [VERBOSE] XnProperty.cpp 95 Failed setting Firmware.DepthGain
(21): Device Protocol: Bad Parameter sent!
1622451 [VERBOSE] XnProperty.cpp 74 Setting Firmware.DepthGain (21)
to 30...
1633275 [WARNING] XnHostProtocol.cpp 369 Received NACK: 5
1633288 [VERBOSE] XnHostProtocol.cpp 909 Retrying to set the param...
rc=198653
1633296 [ERROR] XnHostProtocol.cpp 915 Failed setting [21] to [30]:
Device Protocol: Bad Parameter sent!
1633304 [VERBOSE] XnProperty.cpp 95 Failed setting Firmware.DepthGain
(21): Device Protocol: Bad Parameter sent!
1633314 [VERBOSE] XnFirmwareStreams.cpp 216 Stream Depth released FW
Stream Depth
1633322 [ERROR] XnSensorServer.cpp 1673 Failed to open stream: Device
Protocol: Bad Parameter sent!
1635013 [VERBOSE] XnSensorServer.cpp 1544 Client 1 requested to close
stream Depth1
1635061 [VERBOSE] XnSensorServer.cpp 997 Client 1 is releasing stream
Depth
1635079 [VERBOSE] XnSensorServer.cpp 1026 Stream Depth now has 0
clients
1635087 [VERBOSE] XnDeviceBase.cpp 381 Closing stream Depth...

alx5962

Dec 9, 2010, 11:06:44 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Windows 7 Ultimate - 32 bits - french

Chris OShea

Dec 9, 2010, 11:10:46 AM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Thanks Bruno, I got it working...

http://goo.gl/8gCBS
Message has been deleted

rickypetit

Dec 9, 2010, 12:01:30 PM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Hi,

in my log, the depth gain is set correctly and there is no [ERROR]
entry, however it keeps complaining with the message "can't create any
node of the requested type".

Regards,

Ricard

alx5962

Dec 9, 2010, 12:11:04 PM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Check the hardware manager in Windows and tell us if you can see those
hardwares:
PrimeSensor category -> Kinect camera et Kinect Motor
if not remove libusb drivers or something like this.

rickypetit

Dec 9, 2010, 12:21:43 PM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Hi,

the motor was not inside the PrimeSensor group. Now the motor is
inside but no luck still ;(

thanks,

Ricard

rickypetit

Dec 9, 2010, 12:45:14 PM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Hi,

I have uninstalled all the libusb drivers, the Primesense and the
OpenNi programs and I got it working after performing these steps:
- Uninstall previous drivers
- Install v2 Sensor (SensorKinect Module for OpenNI)
- Install OpenNI
- Install PrimeSense Sensor
Test NiViewer, works ok.
- Install NITE
Test samples, works ok

However, always exists one ;), the stick figure sample shows no
images, just a screen with a checkerboard. Will keep trying this, must
be some error in the Sample-user.xml file, althought I set the
modifications specified in this thread

Regards and thanks for all,

Ricard

Ricard

Moshe Blitz

Dec 9, 2010, 12:53:21 PM12/9/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com, OpenNI
When running stick figure, please move a bit in the scene in order to be recognized. Once recognize, perform the calibration pose and you're set.

Regards,
Moshe
Primesense Support.

tamirb

Dec 9, 2010, 1:05:35 PM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Hi Ricard,

It might be worth using NiUserTracker sample from the OpenNI package,
it's the best sample so far and got good feedback... let me know if it
doesn't work either...

rickypetit

Dec 9, 2010, 3:40:08 PM12/9/10
to OpenNI
Hi,

tomorrow I will give it a try and report results,

Regards,

Ricard

cogito

Dec 9, 2010, 9:00:22 PM12/9/10
to OpenNI

On Dec 9, 12:09 am, likeBVH <jim...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> PrimeSensor Development Kit  Driver could not start (error code 10).
>
> I try to summarize so that other people can avoid similar problems
>
> Questions:
> a) Where are the drivers?
>
> https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect
>
> avin2-SensorKinect-8559efd\Platform\Win32\Driver
>
> b) Procedure
>
> select the driver directly (add legacy hw)
> You will see
>
> 1) Kinect Motor, Kinect Camera
> 2) PrimeSensor Development Kit 2.x to 5.x and
>  Reference Design
>
> Questions: do we need to install all 1) and 2) ?
> <ONLY INSTALL THE KINECT MOTOR AND CAMERA>
>
> c)avin2-SensorKinect-8559efd\Bin
> run
> SensorKinect-Win32-5.0.0.exe

???????
Execute: OpenNI-Win32-1.0.0.exe
Create folder: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor
Create folder: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Bin
Create folder: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Data
Extract: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\GPL.txt... 100%
Extract: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\LGPL.txt... 100%
Extract: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Bin\XnCore.dll... 100%
Extract: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Bin\XnFormats.dll...
100%
Extract: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Bin\XnDDK.dll... 100%
Extract: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Bin
\XnDeviceSensorV2.dll... 100%
Extract: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Bin\XnDeviceFile.dll...
100%
Extract: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Bin
\XnSensorServer.exe... 100%
Extract: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Data
\GlobalDefaults.ini... 100%
Output folder: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Driver
Extract: dpinst-amd64.exe... 100%
Extract: dpinst-x86.exe... 100%
Extract: dpinst.xml... 100%
Extract: psdrv3.cat... 100%
Extract: psdrv3.ico... 100%
Extract: psdrv3.inf... 100%
Output folder: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Driver\amd64
Extract: WdfCoInstaller01009.dll... 100%
Extract: psdrv3.sys... 100%
Output folder: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Driver\x86
Extract: WdfCoInstaller01009.dll... 100%
Extract: psdrv3.sys... 100%
Output folder: C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Driver
Execute: "\Bin\niReg.exe" "C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor\Bin
\XnDeviceFile.dll"
Installation Failed! Could not register module with OpenNI!

????

Anybody met the question?

> d) Install OpenNI and NITE
>
> With this, I can get OpenNI and NITE applications to work
>
> Not all work currently, pls feedbacks if I am missing something, so
> others will not waste the time

kwende

Dec 9, 2010, 9:17:48 PM12/9/10
to OpenNI
I have this working great on one 64-bit windows 7 box at work, but
when I take it home and go through the same (at least I believe it to
be the same) procedure, I consistently get:

"Open Failed: Device Protocol: Command Invalid!"

Has anyone encountered this? I ran the NITE and OpenNI installers, and
then also ran the installer located here: https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect/tree/master/Bin.
However, I consistently get this error.

Any insight?

rickypetit

Dec 10, 2010, 2:22:23 AM12/10/10
to OpenNI
Hi

now the NiUserTracker works!

thanks to all,

Ricard

Daniel Spelsberg

Dec 10, 2010, 4:14:20 AM12/10/10
to OpenNI
hi there

you should try to register like this :

niReg.exe -r XnDeviceFile.dll C:\myWork\Kinect\Prime Scense\Sensor
\Bin

this worked fine for me

Neil Mendoza

Dec 11, 2010, 9:31:10 AM12/11/10
to OpenNI
Hi,

When running NIViewer I get a "timeout when waiting for new data"
message in the console window, then a full screen black window (with
the text at the bottom) where a small red rectangle appears
occasionally. I'm guessing this isn't the intended functionality of
this program. Any ideas how to get it working?

Thanks in advance,

Neil.
> > > error appears whenKinectis not plugged here, Be sure to remove
> > > existingkinectdrivers (libusb, openNUI) then install the one from C:

eric

Dec 11, 2010, 8:19:39 PM12/11/10
to OpenNI
Thank you CY.

After using the config you posted, I also got several PrimeSense
samples to work, that includes: StickFigure, SceneAnalysis, Players,
SingleControl. Before this the error was the " bad parameter" error
that alex has mentioned.

However, I still cannot figure out how to get Boxes, CircleControl and
TrackPad to work. There was no error. The application window pops up
fine. For instance, I can see the circle in the circlecontrol sample.
However, it does not seem to react to my movements at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Shichao Ou

Dec 12, 2010, 5:07:56 PM12/12/10
to OpenNI
Hi, I have figured out how to get Boxes and CircleControl and TracePad to work. Basically you need to wave your hand first to activate the application, for some you may also need to do a "focus" action (which is a push button movement) to get things going. For circlecontrol, you will also need to draw a circle with your hand first before it will begin to track and follow your movement.

Hope this is helpful for anyone else who might be confused about this.

Spun

Dec 16, 2010, 11:04:45 AM12/16/10
to OpenNI
Hi all:
We followed the tutorial from Avin with all the installers for OpenNI,
NITE and the drivers (Sensor-Win32-5.0.0.24).
It works fine on one of our machine, except for the NUI Audio which is
not recognized by Windows.

We can run the demos without any problems on this machine, but could
not manage to get it work on any other of our machines. Each time we
try to install it on a new machine, everything goes fine but the
smaples don't work.

We tried NviViewer and got only a black screen with the following
error:
7780857 [VERBOSE] Setting Depth1.Registration to 0...
7814696 [VERBOSE] [FPS] User1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00)
Depth1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) Image1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) ReadCalls:
0.76
Error: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
9846502 [VERBOSE] [FPS] User1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00)
Depth1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) Image1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) ReadCalls:
0.98
Error: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
11852659 [VERBOSE] [FPS] User1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00)
Depth1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) Image1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) ReadCalls:
1.00
Error: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!

The drivers are ok in windows (again not the Audio) and we followed
the exact same protocol for installing the software/drivers. This
seems to be the same problem Neil Mendoza described in his post.

Do you have any idea what could go wrong? And how to fix it?
Moreover, we would be interested in getting the Audio to work as well,
is there a way to find the driver of the microphone somewhere?

Thanks a lot.
Best.

avin

Dec 16, 2010, 4:36:15 PM12/16/10
to OpenNI
Hello Spun,

Can you please post a full log file so I can look and try to help?

The short log you've sent doesn't show all the config commands...

Also, don't worry about the audio device. It's not supposed to be
recognized.

avin.

Spun

Dec 17, 2010, 4:50:22 AM12/17/10
to OpenNI
Hi avin:

this is the complete log of the NiViewer.exeon the machine where
kinect does not work (the output is a completely black screen):

\XnDeviceSensorV2.dll...
14385 [VERBOSE] Found exported production node.
Device: PrimeSen
se/SensorV2/5.0.0.24
14574 [VERBOSE] Found exported production node. Depth:
PrimeSens
e/SensorV2/5.0.0.24
14752 [VERBOSE] Found exported production node. Image:
PrimeSens
e/SensorV2/5.0.0.24
14913 [VERBOSE] Found exported production node. IR:
PrimeSense/S
ensorV2/5.0.0.24
15074 [VERBOSE] Found exported production node. Audio:
PrimeSens
e/SensorV2/5.0.0.24
15234 [VERBOSE] Checking C:\Program Files\Prime Sense
\NITE\Featu
res\Bin\XnVFeatures.dll...
16925 [VERBOSE] Found exported production node. Scene:
PrimeSens
e/XnVSceneAnalyzer/1.3.0.17
17104 [VERBOSE] Found exported production node. User:
PrimeSense
/XnVSkeletonGenerator/1.3.0.17
17266 [VERBOSE] Checking C:\Program Files\Prime Sense
\NITE\Hands
\Bin\XnVHandGenerator.dll...
18004 [VERBOSE] Found exported production node.
Gesture: PrimeSe
nse/XnVGestureGenrator/1.3.0.17
18179 [VERBOSE] Found exported production node. Hands:
PrimeSens
e/XnVHandTracker/1.3.0.17
18650 [VERBOSE] Requested to create a node of type
Image...
20678 [INFO] Creating node 'Device1' of type Device...
1402493 [INFO] Property Device.ShareMode was changed to 1.
1402725 [INFO] Property Device.InstancePointer was changed.
1402899 [INFO] Property Device.ShareMode was changed to 0.
1403166 [INFO] Creating node 'Image1' of type Image...
1403337 [VERBOSE] Creating stream Image1 (of type Image)
1414589 [INFO] Property Device.ReadData was changed to 1.
1417234 [INFO] Creating stream 'Image1' of type 'Image'...
1417436 [VERBOSE] Initializing stream 'Image1'...
1417653 [INFO] Property Image1.RequiredDataSize was changed
to 230400.
1417869 [INFO] Property Image1.OutputFormat was changed to 5.
1418017 [INFO] Stream 'Image1' was initialized.
1418147 [INFO] 'Image1' stream was created.
1418391 [VERBOSE] Batch configuring server...
1418693 [INFO] Property Image1.RequiredDataSize was changed
to 460800.
1418979 [INFO] Property Image1.XRes was changed to 640.
1419147 [INFO] Property Image1.RequiredDataSize was changed
to 921600.
1419550 [INFO] Property Image1.YRes was changed to 480.
1419719 [INFO] Property Image1.Resolution was changed to 1.
1419871 [VERBOSE] Setting Image1.Mirror to 1...
1420094 [INFO] Property Image1.Mirror was changed to 1.
1420246 [VERBOSE] Requested to create a node of type
Depth...
1421402 [INFO] Creating node 'Depth1' of type Depth...
1421596 [VERBOSE] Creating stream Depth1 (of type Depth)
1439764 [INFO] Creating stream 'Depth1' of type 'Depth'...
1439966 [VERBOSE] Initializing stream 'Depth1'...
1440152 [INFO] Property Depth1.RequiredDataSize was changed
to 153600.
1440339 [INFO] Property Depth1.OutputFormat was changed to 1.
1440495 [INFO] Stream 'Depth1' was initialized.
1440648 [INFO] 'Depth1' stream was created.
1440999 [VERBOSE] Batch configuring server...
1441280 [INFO] Property Depth1.RequiredDataSize was changed
to 307200.
1441521 [INFO] Property Depth1.XRes was changed to 640.
1441667 [INFO] Property Depth1.RequiredDataSize was changed
to 614400.
1441980 [INFO] Property Depth1.YRes was changed to 480.
1442131 [INFO] Property Depth1.Resolution was changed to 1.
1442289 [VERBOSE] Setting Depth1.Mirror to 1...
1442517 [INFO] Property Depth1.Mirror was changed to 1.
1442671 [VERBOSE] Requested to create a node of type
User...
1443760 [INFO] Creating node 'User1' of type User...
1465725 [VERBOSE] Opening stream Depth1...
1466717 [INFO] Property Depth1.ActualReadData was changed to
1.
1920788 [INFO] Property Depth1.State was changed to 1.
1920987 [INFO] Stream Depth1 is open.
1921263 [VERBOSE] Opening stream Image1...
1922125 [INFO] Property Image1.ActualReadData was changed to
1.
5111051 [INFO] Property Image1.State was changed to 1.
5111397 [INFO] Stream Image1 is open.
5111575 [VERBOSE] [FPS] User1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00)
Depth1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) Image1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) ReadCalls:
0.00
Error: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
7450788 [VERBOSE] Setting Depth1.Registration to 0...
7480574 [VERBOSE] [FPS] User1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00)
Depth1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) Image1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) ReadCalls:
0.84
Error: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
9494660 [VERBOSE] [FPS] User1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00)
Depth1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) Image1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) ReadCalls:
0.99
Error: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
11499685 [VERBOSE] [FPS] User1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00)
Depth1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) Image1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) ReadCalls:
1.00
Error: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
13505307 [VERBOSE] [FPS] User1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00)
Depth1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) Image1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) ReadCalls:
1.00
Error: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
15509773 [VERBOSE] [FPS] User1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00)
Depth1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) Image1 (I: 0.00, O: 0.00) ReadCalls:
1.00

The problem is that on one machine it works correctly while on the
other (using the same XML config file) we got the black screen and
this log.

Any idea?
Many thanks.
Message has been deleted

Spun

Dec 22, 2010, 4:05:11 AM12/22/10
to OpenNI
Anyone has any idea?

Spun

Dec 22, 2010, 4:50:10 AM12/22/10
to OpenNI
Anyone has any idea?

Gabriele Angeli

Jan 3, 2011, 12:41:43 PM1/3/11
to OpenNI
I had the same problem these days, everything was caused by the
installation Sensor-Win32-5.0.0.24.exe which apparently is
incompatible ... I solved it with the following version SensorKinect-
Win32-5.0.0.exe

On 22 Dic 2010, 10:50, Spun <djy2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyonehasany idea?

shamok

Jan 4, 2011, 10:49:33 AM1/4/11
to OpenNI
Hi

I have the same probleme ...
I tried with Sensor-Bin-Win32-v5.0.0.25.exe .. but still the same :/
where did you found SensorKinect- Win32-5.0.0.exe I couldn't find it
on Primesens site

thanks
Mat.

shamok

Jan 4, 2011, 11:04:38 AM1/4/11
to OpenNI

Aaron Bahr

Feb 8, 2011, 1:34:59 PM2/8/11
to OpenNI
When I run any of the debug demos in the PrimeSense/NITE/Samples I get
the error "InitFromXml failed: Output buffer overflow!" I have
followed the directions installing the driver and they show up in the
Device Manager. I am also running Win7 professional x64.

Any help would be great.