NITE for MacOSX 10.6 is now available! Plus a new NITE.net wrapper for C#/Mono as a surprise :-)

Ziv Hendel

Jan 6, 2011, 4:25:37 PM1/6/11
to OpenNI
Hi Everyone!

NITE for MacOSX 10.6 is now available to download from www.openni.org!
(Check out the unstable versions under the download section).

We have also prepared a brand new awesome C#/Mono wrapper called
NITE.net that replaces the old ManagedNITE so please go check it
out :-)

The unstable sources and binaries for both OpenNI & Sensor modules
were updated as well so please grab a fresh copy from:
Binaries:
http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles
Sources:
https://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI/tree/unstable
https://github.com/PrimeSense/Sensor/tree/unstable

Enjoy!
Ziv.

George Toledo

Jan 6, 2011, 4:35:13 PM1/6/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ziv. How exciting!

George Toledo

Joshua Blake

Jan 6, 2011, 4:37:32 PM1/6/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Ziv,

Can you clarify when one would want to use NITE.net over OpenNI.net, or should we use both?

Thanks,
Josh
---
Joshua Blake
Microsoft Surface MVP
OpenKinect Community Founder http://openkinect.org

(cell) 703-946-7176
Twitter: http://twitter.com/joshblake
Blog: http://nui.joshland.org
Multitouch in .NET book: http://manning.com/blake

Ziv Hendel

Jan 6, 2011, 4:47:33 PM1/6/11
to OpenNI
Hi Josh!

They are not the same and provide completely different functionality.

OpenNI.net provides all the basic OpenNI types (like depth, image,
skeleton, etc...) and NITE.net is exposing the extra things from the
NITE library that runs on top like gesture recognition (push, wave,
hand swipes...), UI control elements (sliders, boxes, etc...) and some
more.

Ziv.

On Jan 6, 11:37 pm, Joshua Blake <joshbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ziv,
>
> Can you clarify when one would want to use NITE.net over OpenNI.net, or
> should we use both?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
> ---
> Joshua Blake
> Microsoft Surface MVP
> OpenKinect Community Founderhttp://openkinect.org
> > openni-dev+...@googlegroups.com<openni-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Rui Marinho

Jan 6, 2011, 6:28:40 PM1/6/11
to OpenNI
do we have the depth and image on NITE.net as well? i think before
that generators weren't available, also is there new samples or some
documentation of NITE.net ?

thanks
Rui
> > > openni-dev+...@googlegroups.com<openni-dev%2Bunsubscribe@googlegrou­ps.com>
> > > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/openni-dev?hl=en.- Ocultar texto citado -
>
> - Mostrar texto citado -

avin

Jan 6, 2011, 8:13:34 PM1/6/11
to OpenNI
Hello mac users,

I've released the SensorKinect driver with OSX support and precompiled
OSX bins.
Please see:
http://groups.google.com/group/openni-dev/browse_thread/thread/c8843abd566f7869

avin.

Radamés Ajna

Jan 7, 2011, 2:44:29 AM1/7/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
that´s a great new!

Radamés

> Enjoy!
> Ziv.

Joshua Blake

Jan 7, 2011, 8:23:10 PM1/7/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Ziv,

I'm working with the HandsGenerator with OpenNI.net and using NITE.

I have enabled multiple hand tracking and have found that the first hand works pretty well but the second hand almost always is jumpy and lower framerate than the first hand. The second hand's position seems to jump around from the top-center of my palm to my wrist and some other places, each time pausing for a second before the next jump. While this is going on the first hand gets nice smooth 30 fps points. This occurs regardless of position and which hand is first. My hands are approximately 4 feet from the PrimeSensor.

Do you have any tips for fixing this or is this a bug in NITE's hand tracker?

Thanks,
Josh

---
Joshua Blake
Microsoft Surface MVP
OpenKinect Community Founder http://openkinect.org

Resprung

Jan 8, 2011, 6:11:12 AM1/8/11
to OpenNI
Hi Ziv

One sample does not run: Sample-NiUserTracker -- it errors out with:
"Find user generator failed: Can't create any node of the requested
type!"

I've installed Avin's Kinect driver and entered the license key into
the three XML files.

I've searched around, reinstalled a few times, but no dice.

Any idea what is wrong?

(MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard 10.6.6)

All the best
-R

George Toledo

Jan 8, 2011, 6:57:27 PM1/8/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Did you check the terminal for any unusual feedback during install? I went through the installs, and only a few minutes ago had a change to actually try the skeletal tracker and examples going in OS X.

Some stuff I didn't expect:

-Needed to update Java (why, who knows, but you do).
-There was a message in Terminal that one of the libs installed ok, but that Python version should be changed. It gave the instruct on what that was, I did it, and it turned out ok.
-The doing the installs required that I cd to the folder of the install file, then run " sudo sh install.sh ", to my memory. If the sudo command wasn't given, it wasn't giving the correct permissions, and whatever it said to do in the read me didn't work correctly either. When I'm running the example apps, I cd to the folder, then drag the executable.

I didn't have to enter the license into the xml or anything. I had a prompt to enter the nite license in Terminal during install, and I don't seem to need to enter it into the xml's, at least for NIViewer and NIUserTracker, the two examples that I've tried so far.

I would probably try to go through the steps of openni, driver, nite install again and see if there are any errors or warnings.

-gt

The information contained in this E-mail and any attachments may be confidential.
If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or return E-mail.
You should not use or disclose the contents of this E-mail or any of the attachments for any purpose or to any persons.

Ziv Hendel

Jan 9, 2011, 6:11:59 PM1/9/11
to OpenNI
Hi Josh!

There are indeed problems with the 2nd hand tracking of NITE.
This is why it's OFF by default and the only way you got it working is
by changing some undocumented parameter in an undocumented ini file.

It will be fixed in a future version of course but I cannot comment on
when.

Sorry!

Ziv.

On Jan 8, 3:23 am, Joshua Blake <joshbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ziv,
>
> I'm working with the HandsGenerator with OpenNI.net and using NITE.
>
> I have enabled multiple hand tracking and have found that the first hand
> works pretty well but the second hand almost always is jumpy and lower
> framerate than the first hand. The second hand's position seems to jump
> around from the top-center of my palm to my wrist and some other places,
> each time pausing for a second before the next jump. While this is going on
> the first hand gets nice smooth 30 fps points. This occurs regardless of
> position and which hand is first. My hands are approximately 4 feet from the
> PrimeSensor.
>
> Do you have any tips for fixing this or is this a bug in NITE's hand
> tracker?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
>
> ---
> Joshua Blake
> Microsoft Surface MVP
> OpenKinect Community Founderhttp://openkinect.org
> > openni-dev+...@googlegroups.com<openni-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Ziv Hendel

Jan 9, 2011, 6:14:08 PM1/9/11
to OpenNI
Hello Resprung,
Did you remember to also install NITE?
(Which contains the user tracking and skeleton modules, etc...)

You can find it in:
http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-middleware-binaries/33-latest-unstable

Run: "sudo ./install.sh" to install it.

If you did install NITE, can you please post the output of:
"niReg -l"

Thanks,
Ziv.

Ziv Hendel

Jan 9, 2011, 6:15:30 PM1/9/11
to OpenNI
Hi Rui!
Depth and Image should come from OpenNI.net, not NITE.net

Thanks,
Ziv.

Ziv Hendel

Jan 9, 2011, 6:18:12 PM1/9/11
to OpenNI
HI George,
Any idea what triggered the Java/Python updates?

I've installed everything into a totally fresh installation of OSX
10.6 and I was not required to do any updates to the Java or Python.

Very strange...

Ziv.
> > openni-dev+...@googlegroups.com<openni-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/openni-dev?hl=en.
>
> --
> George Toledo
> gtole...@gmail.comwww.georgetoledo.com

George Toledo

Jan 9, 2011, 7:28:59 PM1/9/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Ziv Hendel <z...@openni.org> wrote:
HI George,
Any idea what triggered the Java/Python updates?

The Java prompt came when installing libusb-devel +universal. I think the python prompt happened sometime while doing the initial install of macports.

I'm not sure what would have caused it. Here's my system and dev-tools info:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.5 (10H574)
Developer Version: 3.1 (9M2621)

-gt
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openni-dev+...@googlegroups.com.

George Toledo

John Stoner

Jan 9, 2011, 8:24:42 PM1/9/11
to OpenNI
So, backing up, trying to install the binaries.

I already installed libusb. Grabbed the Sourceforge code, v1.0.8,
from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/

did a build, which put it in /usr/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib . I
linked from /opt/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib because that's where the
OpenNi seemed to look for it. Went to install again and got this:

January 09, 2011 @ 06:25:02PM: ~/Documents/projects/oni/OpenNI-Bin-
MacOSX-v1.0.0.25
[jstoner@erzulie]> sudo ./install.sh
Password:
copying shared libraries...OK
copying executables...OK
copying include files...OK
creating database directory...OK
registering module 'libnimMockNodes.dylib'...dyld: Library not
loaded: /opt/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/lib/libOpenNI.dylib
Reason: Incompatible library version: libOpenNI.dylib requires
version 2.0.0 or later, but libusb-1.0.0.dylib provides version 1.0.0
./install.sh: line 66: 8669 Trace/BPT trap niReg -r
$INSTALL_LIB/$module

As I poke around on Google, I don't see any libusb 2.0,0. It looks
like 1.0.8 dates to May of last year. Where do I find a compatible
libusb?
> > <openni-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<openni-dev%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

takahashi

Jan 9, 2011, 8:32:31 PM1/9/11
to OpenNI
why don't you use macports?

sudo port install libusb-devel +universal

takahashi

> > > by

Ziv Hendel

Jan 9, 2011, 9:01:59 PM1/9/11
to OpenNI
Hi John,

Please check out the README file.

As takahashi pointed out, you must install libusb from macports since
it contains a patched version that works with isochronous usb
transfers correctly.
The regular 1.0.8 version from the libusb source repository is not
patched and does not work on OSX.

Thanks,
Ziv.

P.S.
If you still want to build the source yourself, you can find the
required diff patch for libusb 1.0.8 on OSX here:
https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect/blob/master/platform/osx/libusb-osx-kinect.diff

Nicholas Butko

Jan 9, 2011, 9:07:31 PM1/9/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Note that it is also important to install "libusb-devel +universal", because OpenNI tries to compile in universal mode, by default.

--Nick

Resprung

Jan 10, 2011, 3:44:44 AM1/10/11
to OpenNI
Hello Ziv

Yes, I have installed NITE, but "Sample-NiUserTracker" still errors
out.

Here's the output of "niReg -I":

---
OpenNI version is 1.0.0.25.

Registered modules:

/usr/lib/libnimMockNodes.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Device: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25
Depth: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25
IR: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25
Image: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25
Audio: OpenNI/Mock/1.0.0.25

/usr/lib/libnimCodecs.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Codec: OpenNI/16zP/1.0.0.25
Codec: OpenNI/16zT/1.0.0.25
Codec: OpenNI/Im8z/1.0.0.25
Codec: OpenNI/JPEG/1.0.0.25
Codec: OpenNI/NONE/1.0.0.25

/usr/lib/libnimRecorder.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Recorder: OpenNI/Recorder/1.0.0.25
Player: OpenNI/Player/1.0.0.25

/usr/lib/libXnDeviceSensorV2.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25
Depth: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25
Image: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25
IR: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25
Audio: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.25

/usr/lib/libXnDeviceFile.dylib (compiled with OpenNI 1.0.0.25):
Player: PrimeSense/File/1.0.0.25

---

All the best
-R

Ziv Hendel

Jan 10, 2011, 7:01:50 AM1/10/11
to OpenNI
Hi Resprung!
It seems that none of the NITE modules are registered...
(XnVFeatures and XnVHandGenerator)

Can you please reinstall it and try again?

You can get it from:
http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-middleware-binaries/33-latest-unstable
(run "sudo ./install.sh" after you download and unpack the file)

Thanks,
Ziv.

Resprung

Jan 10, 2011, 1:14:33 PM1/10/11
to OpenNI
Hi Ziv

Great. It's running now. Thanks a million :-)

-R

---

On Jan 10, 1:01 pm, Ziv Hendel <z...@openni.org> wrote:
> Hi Resprung!
> It seems that none of the NITE modules are registered...
> (XnVFeatures and XnVHandGenerator)
>
> Can you please reinstall it and try again?
>
> You can get it from:http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-middleware-binar...

awbrody

Feb 4, 2011, 8:50:24 PM2/4/11
to OpenNI
I may have missed something in this thread, but when I attempt to
install Nite I get a request " Please enter your PrimeSense license
key: " I don't know the key.

On Jan 6, 12:25 pm, Ziv Hendel <z...@openni.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> NITEfor MacOSX 10.6 is now available to download fromwww.openni.org!
> (Check out the unstable versions under the download section).
>
> We have also prepared a brand new awesome C#/Mono wrapper calledNITE.net that replaces the old ManagedNITE so please go check it

Jacob Fenwick

Feb 5, 2011, 12:38:28 AM2/5/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4=

> Enjoy!
> Ziv.

awbrody

Feb 5, 2011, 9:14:40 PM2/5/11
to OpenNI
I did sudo install.sh . It appeared as if all was in order when I got
the following error messages at the tail end of the process.
Here is a copy of the tqaiol end of the install

g++ -c -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -O3 -fno-tree-pre -fno-strict-aliasing -
DNDEBUG -msse3 -mssse3 -I../Players -I/usr/include/nite -I/usr/include/
ni -DUSE_GLUT -DXN_SSE -o Release/main.o ../Players/main.cpp
../Players/main.cpp: In function ‘void StopCapture()’:
../Players/main.cpp:71: warning: ‘Unref’ is deprecated (declared at /
usr/include/ni/XnCppWrapper.h:1017)
../Players/main.cpp: In function ‘void StopCapture()’:
../Players/main.cpp:71: warning: ‘Unref’ is deprecated (declared at /
usr/include/ni/XnCppWrapper.h:1017)
g++ -c -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -O3 -fno-tree-pre -fno-strict-aliasing -
DNDEBUG -msse3 -mssse3 -I../Players -I/usr/include/nite -I/usr/include/
ni -DUSE_GLUT -DXN_SSE -o Release/SceneDrawer.o ../Players/
SceneDrawer.cpp
g++ -c -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -O3 -fno-tree-pre -fno-strict-aliasing -
DNDEBUG -msse3 -mssse3 -I../Players -I/usr/include/nite -I/usr/include/
ni -DUSE_GLUT -DXN_SSE -o Release/kbhit.o ../Players/kbhit.cpp
g++ -c -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -O3 -fno-tree-pre -fno-strict-aliasing -
DNDEBUG -msse3 -mssse3 -I../Players -I/usr/include/nite -I/usr/include/
ni -DUSE_GLUT -DXN_SSE -o Release/signal_catch.o ../Players/
signal_catch.cpp
g++ -o ../Bin/Sample-Players ./Release/main.o ./Release/
SceneDrawer.o ./Release/kbhit.o ./Release/signal_catch.o -framework
OpenGL -framework GLUT -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -L../Bin -lOpenNI -
lXnVNite
mkdir -p Release
touch ./Release/Boxes.Designer.o
touch ./Release/Boxes.o
touch ./Release/MyBox.o
touch ./Release/Program.o
touch ./Release/AssemblyInfo-NITE.o
gmcs -out:../Bin/Sample-Boxes.net.exe -target:winexe -unsafe -o+ -
r:OpenNI.net.dll -r:System.Windows.Forms.dll -r:System.Drawing.dll -
r:../Bin/XnVNite.net.dll ../Boxes.net/*.cs ../Res/AssemblyInfo-NITE.cs
../Boxes.net/Boxes.cs(6,14): error CS0234: The type or namespace name
`Linq' does not exist in the namespace `System'. Are you missing an
assembly reference?
../Boxes.net/Boxes.cs(6,1): error CS0246: The type or namespace name
`System.Linq' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or
an assembly reference?
../Boxes.net/MyBox.cs(3,14): error CS0234: The type or namespace name
`Linq' does not exist in the namespace `System'. Are you missing an
assembly reference?
../Boxes.net/MyBox.cs(3,1): error CS0246: The type or namespace name
`System.Linq' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or
an assembly reference?
Compilation failed: 4 error(s), 0 warnings
make[1]: *** [../Bin/Sample-Boxes.net.exe] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

This looks like an attempt to build window executables on a Mac.

mmlemon

Mar 2, 2011, 7:47:13 PM3/2/11
to OpenNI
Hi Ziv,
I've installed Sensor-Bin-MacOSX-v5-2.0.0.25 and Nite-Bin-MacOSX-
v1-2.3.0.18 and libusb-devel on my MacBook Pro (10.6.6).
But NiUsrTracker sample does not work.

I found that "55-primesense-usb.rules" file is not installed any
directory and does not exist "/etc/udev/rules.d".

Please help.

On 1月10日, 午後9:01, Ziv Hendel <z...@openni.org> wrote:
> Hi Resprung!
> It seems that none of the NITE modules are registered...
> (XnVFeatures and XnVHandGenerator)
>
> Can you please reinstall it and try again?
>
> You can get it from:http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-middleware-binar...

Amir Hirsch

Mar 2, 2011, 7:57:31 PM3/2/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com, mmlemon