New unstable release - Many improvements and bug fixes! (OpenNI-1.5.2.7, NITE-1.5.2.7, Sensor-5.1.0.25)

Ziv Hendel

Dec 18, 2011, 3:03:30 PM12/18/11
to OpenNI
Hi all,

A new "unstable" release was uploaded into the www.openni.org site.
(OpenNI-1.5.2.7, NITE-1.5.2.7, Sensor-5.1.0.25)

We have been very busy with improving the skeleton quality and solving
many many bugs reported by you and our internal QA. Big big thanks to
everyone that helped!

A brief list of changes:
* NITE skeleton tracking latency, robustness, stability and quality
was much improved.
* Many exception/segfaults in NITE were fixed.
* The annoying "event time out" problem many of you encountered is now
fixed.
* SceneServer crashes were fixed.
* Calibration events/messages are now working as expected.

Knowns issues:
* We are still working on SSE3 compatibility with AMD CPUs.

A complete list of changes will be posted tomorrow and the sources on
GitHub will be updated later as well.

Please don't forget that this is a beta/unstable release so we'll love
as much feedback as possible!

If you used the previous unstable release it's highly recommended that
you upgrade to the new one.

Thanks,
Ziv.

rumppat

Dec 18, 2011, 4:49:45 PM12/18/11
to OpenNI
I tested the new version. Automatic calibration and tracking in
general works like a charm now. :)

But I've still one question about the new automatic calibration
feature:
When I use the NiSample-UserTracker sources to play around with the
flag "XnBool g_bNeedPose", I'm not able to activate the old
calibration pose ("Psi").
When I switch the value from FALSE to TRUE, the user is identified but
no calibration is done. Even if I start doing the old PSI gesture...
Nothing happens.
Is there any other code that I have to change to make the old style
calibration pose working again in this sample?

KR
rumpat

rumppat

Dec 18, 2011, 6:11:49 PM12/18/11
to OpenNI
I've found the problem. In the original sample the PoseDetected
callback is not registered to the UserGenerator if g_bNeedPose is set
to TRUE.
The solution is straight forward. Just add an else case to one of the
conditional expressions.

if (g_UserGenerator.GetSkeletonCap().NeedPoseForCalibration())
{
g_bNeedPose = TRUE;
if (!
g_UserGenerator.IsCapabilitySupported(XN_CAPABILITY_POSE_DETECTION))
{
printf("Pose required, but not supported\n");
return 1;
}
nRetVal =
g_UserGenerator.GetPoseDetectionCap().RegisterToPoseDetected(UserPose_PoseDetected,
NULL, hPoseDetected);
CHECK_RC(nRetVal, "Register to Pose Detected");
g_UserGenerator.GetSkeletonCap().GetCalibrationPose(g_strPose);
} else if (g_bNeedPose) {
nRetVal =
g_UserGenerator.GetPoseDetectionCap().RegisterToPoseDetected(UserPose_PoseDetected,
NULL, hPoseDetected);
CHECK_RC(nRetVal, "Register to Pose Detected");
g_UserGenerator.GetSkeletonCap().GetCalibrationPose(g_strPose);
}

flymanbox

Dec 18, 2011, 9:23:16 PM12/18/11
to OpenNI
Great Work !!

flymanbox

Dec 19, 2011, 4:35:00 AM12/19/11
to OpenNI
Is there a Redist Version for New Release ??

Ziv Hendel

Dec 19, 2011, 9:00:38 AM12/19/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
There's hardly any difference in size between the redist and the dev versions so for now the "unstable" releases will only include the dev ones...
Sorry!
Ziv.

Xsu Ma

Dec 19, 2011, 2:34:19 PM12/19/11
to OpenNI
Hi Ziv,

Thanks a lot for great work!

Previously, I had to use Avin's patched version of SensorKinect in
order for these releases to work on OS X.

Is Avin's patch required for this release too?

Best regards,

--X

Lance Drake

Dec 19, 2011, 5:10:57 PM12/19/11
to OpenNI

> Previously, I had to use Avin's patched version of SensorKinect in
> order for these releases to work on OS X.
>
> Is Avin's patch required for this release too?

VERY GOOD QUESTION!!

Please advise!! - And identify the PATCH (or a URL to it) so it may be
employed, if need be.

Thanks VERY much

glaucomardano

Dec 19, 2011, 8:14:14 PM12/19/11
to OpenNI
Hi @rumppat, could you tell me what the steps to install openni
properly? I use ubuntu 11.04 and windows 7 32 and 64. I'm very anxious
to use my kinect with openni. Thanks.

glaucomardano

Dec 19, 2011, 9:27:49 PM12/19/11
to OpenNI
Hi my friend. I just want to let you guys know I've finally make it
works on ubuntu 11.04 :D. I didn't get to make it works on windows
yet, but I'm so happy it's working on my favorite S.O :). Thanks all.
For the next one that will have troubles like I had, I have some tips:

-Download and install the lastest openni builds here :
http://www.openni.org/Downloads/OpenNIModules.aspx
-Download and install the lastest Sensor Kinect builds on avin2 git
here https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect. The original one didn't
work for me that can be found here http://www.openni.org/Downloads/OpenNIModules.aspx.
- (Optional, just if you wanna use nite) Download and install the
lastest NITE builds here http://www.openni.org/Downloads/OpenNIModules.aspx.

That's it, just connect your kinect on your pc via usb, and connect
the kinect to the energy with its power supply, and enjoy it ;).

-Regards

dtr

Dec 20, 2011, 5:02:24 PM12/20/11
to OpenNI
Hi Ziv,

I installed this new version together with Avin2's latest on OS X
10.7.2. All good with 1 Kinect!

But now I finally have a desktop computer with enough busses to
connect multiple Kinect's. And then I run into problems. When I run
the NiViewer sample with -devices I get a segfault before any image
shows. The Kinect's are on separate busses. Below's the gdb backtrace.
Any ideas?

best, Dieter

dtrHacPro:x86-Release dtr$ gdb ./NiViewer
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1515) (Sat Jan 15 08:33:48
UTC 2011)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for
details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for
shared libraries ...... done

(gdb) run -devices
Starting program: /Volumes/DUMP/OpenNI/Current/OpenNI-Bin-Dev-MacOSX-
v1.5.2.7/Samples/Bin/x86-Release/NiViewer -devices
Reading symbols for shared libraries ++++
+................................................................................................................................................
done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries .... done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
The following devices were found:
[1] Microsoft Kinect (0)
[2] Microsoft Kinect (0)

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: 13 at address: 0x0000000000000000
[Switching to process 343]
0x00000001001a1c58 in op_handle_events ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0 0x00000001001a1c58 in op_handle_events ()
#1 0x000000010019fd7e in handle_events ()
#2 0x00000001001a0473 in libusb_handle_events_timeout ()
#3 0x000000010014588f in xnUSBHandleEventsThread ()
#4 0x00007fff8ade38bf in _pthread_start ()
#5 0x00007fff8ade6b75 in thread_start ()
(gdb)

glaucomardano

Dec 20, 2011, 9:13:31 PM12/20/11
to OpenNI
Hmmm. Openni+avin2sensor+nite was working very fine, but after some
hours it no longer works :/. I've reinstalled and the same problem :

Read failed: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
Read failed: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
Read failed: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!
Read failed: A timeout has occurred when waiting for new data!

Any ideas?

glaucomardano

Dec 20, 2011, 9:40:42 PM12/20/11
to OpenNI
Hi again, it's very strange, but the solution was easier than I
thought. It looks the error happened because I've plugged the kinect
usb cable on another usb port, then I plugged it on the other usb port
I've plugged before, and it worked like a charm. I hope this works
forever :P.

BHAUMIK SHUKLA

Apr 13, 2012, 5:21:51 AM4/13/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

i am developing OpenNI based app on android, and in  OpenNI version 1.5.2.7, they mentioned "Android UserTracker sample: Adjusted to work without a calibration pose.", but after installed and built everything on Android UserTracker works same as previous means it still requires calibration pose, so do i need to change somewhere in code for make this android version work with no calibration pose? How do i do that?

Thank You
Bhaumik Shukla.