WhiteBalancedEnabled and Gain - no effect

Ivan Dryanovski

Jul 18, 2011, 4:05:16 PM7/18/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am using a Kinect with the ros-diamondback-openni-kinect driver.

Changing the WhiteBalancedEnabled to 0 in the
/etc/primesense/GlobalDefaults.ini seems to produce no effect. I
expected that it would disable the auto white balance.

Also, changing the Gain seems to produce no effects. I was under the
impression it should let me control the IR sensitivity.

If I change MaxDepthValue in the same file, I can observe the correct
effect - so I know the file is being read by the driver I'm using.

Thank you,

Ivan Dryanovski

Suat Gedikli

Jul 18, 2011, 8:38:50 PM7/18/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
the ROS nodelet for openni devices does not use any ini file.

-Suat

Ivan Dryanovski

Jul 19, 2011, 9:33:52 AM7/19/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Suat Gedikli
<suat.g...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> the ROS nodelet for openni devices does not use any ini file.
>
> -Suat

Hi Suat,

I did the following.

1. Launch ros nodelet driver with default GlobalDefaults.ini file
2. View data in rviz - Kinect is displaying data at far ranges - 5m+
3. Shut down driver and rviz.
4. Edit the /etc/primesense/GlobalDefaults.ini and change
"MaxDepthValue=10000" to "MaxDepthValue=1000"
5. Launch nodelet driver.
6. Inspect data in rviz - Kinect is not displaying anything farther
than what appears to be 1 meter.

This strongly leads me to believe that the ROS driver *does* in fact
use that .ini file for configuration. However, by repeating the above
procedure, I cannot enable/disable auto-white balance.

Ivan

Dimi P.

Jul 22, 2011, 11:52:41 AM7/22/11
to OpenNI
So could you find a solution for this?

I searched for the same problem and I found something in the
openkinect-driver:
http://openkinect.org/wiki/Protocol_Documentation#Color_CMOS_Camera_Register_Access

At point >> R6:1—0x106 – Operating Mode Control (Read/Write)
it shows, that its maybe possible to change it.

XBox Init sets this to 0x7482
Bit 1 Enables auto white balance.
0: Freezes white balance at current values. (Default)
1: Enables auto white balance. (XBox init)

Any clue?

Thx!

On Jul 19, 3:33 pm, Ivan Dryanovski <ivan.dryanov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Suat Gedikli

Dimi P.

Jul 25, 2011, 5:39:28 AM7/25/11
to OpenNI
Also I found, that the WhiteBalancedEnabled parametert in that *ini
file, is somehow related to the Depth, as its written there above
"[Depth]" and also when I look at the XnIOParams.h file in the
Primesense Sensor downloadable package there is the Parameter "#define
XN_IO_PARAM_DEPTH_WHITE_BALANCE "DepthWhiteBalance"".

no solution yet from my point...