OpenNI + SensorKinect + Ubuntu 10.10

mhogryd

Dec 19, 2010, 5:46:21 AM12/19/10
to OpenNI
Hi all,

I got OpenNI/SensorKinect/NITE running on my Windows machine yesterday
thanks to all the help on this forum. Today, I'm trying to get it
working on Ubuntu 10.10, but am running into a roadblock.

I downloaded and installed the Ubunti 10.10 64bit binary from here:
http://www.openni.org/

I also downloaded and installed SensorKinect from here:
https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect

When I try to run any OpenNI sample, I get:

"One or more of the following nodes could not be enumerated:

Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.24: The device is not connected!"

I copied "SamplesConfig.xml" from SensorKinect, but I still get this
error. If I remove the "Node" tags from "SamplesConfig.xml", the error
goes away, but the samples don't work (the screen is just black).

Does anyone know what I'm missing? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Mike O.

avin

Dec 21, 2010, 5:49:43 PM12/21/10
to OpenNI
Hello mike,
I have fixed a problem with running the project on linux machine...
Can you please get the code from git again and see if it's working
now?
Before the fix it was never able to find the Kinect on a linux machine
and only worked good in windows.
avin.

MikeManh

Dec 21, 2010, 8:58:10 PM12/21/10
to OpenNI
Heya, on ubuntu 10.10 I have a kinect directory, inside of which i
have the dirs for openNI, Nite and Sensor, using the kinect fork. I
seemed to have some success with OpenNI and Sensor, and I can build
NITE, but couldn't get it to run "make install." It dies during the
make.

I haven't touched it since more than a week ago when i tried to do
this and had the same problem. I tried to run git pull on Sensor
today, as you say Avin, and it says i'm up to date, so I haven't seen
any update to the code.

Here is my directory structure:
kinect/
NITE/
Nite-1.3.0.17/
OpenNI/
Sensor/

I ran it as such:
~/Documents/workspace/kinect/Sensor$ git pull
Already up-to-date.

~/Documents/workspace/kinect/OpenNI$ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 204, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (143/143), 3.23 MiB | 1.37 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (72/72), completed with 43 local objects.
From https://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI
* [new branch] unstable -> origin/unstable
Already up-to-date.

What am I missing? When people build, do you put NITE in the same
directory as openNI? I only ask because in the makefile for NITE, it
refers to an include directory:

# include directory (for installing)
INC_DIR = ../../../Include

which i rewrote to point to openNI's includes, because i figured NITE
was referring to openNI's include dir. Even after that change, "make
install" fails for me in NITE:
Here's what I get:
make: *** No rule to make target `Install', needed by `install-usb-
rules'. Stop.

Did this work for anyone else?

When I try to run any of the NITE samples, it says:

user@ubuntu:~/Documents/workspace/kinect/NITE/Nite-1.3.0.17/Samples/Bin
$ ./Sample-TrackPad
Error initializing: Can't create any node of the requested type!

Eddie Cohen

Dec 22, 2010, 3:12:54 AM12/22/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

The Makefile that arrives with NITE installation is only intended for building the samples. To install NITE, please run the install.bash script.

Eddie.

Marsteegh

Dec 22, 2010, 6:10:59 PM12/22/10
to OpenNI
same error here. I just checked out OpenNI and Sensor from git.
(Ubuntu 10.10,x86) And I also get this error. The freenect driver does
work, so the device is fine.
the exact error is (as above):

"One or more of the following nodes could not be enumerated:

Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.0.0.24: The device is not connected!"

Any tips on how to debug?

Marsteegh

Dec 22, 2010, 7:41:49 PM12/22/10
to OpenNI
Never mind. I had The Sensor module from openni.org and the
SensorKinect module from https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect mixed
up. It's working now.