Open Source Manufacturing Startup

Tux Lab

Mar 27, 2012, 10:50:16 PM3/27/12
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for partners to form an open source manufacturing
startup. The goal is to build a fiscally sustainable and socially
responsible manufacturing company that will provide a nurturing
workplace and give back to other open source/non-profit projects.
What we manufacture is not as important as how we manufacture because
we will rely on open source software and the open source model of
fiscal and intellectual transparency. This way the end users will
know exactly what they are buying.

I want an alternative to products, though beautifully made, are
shrouded in secrecy and made by people who are deliberately kept from
learning and expressing their views. I can see the benefits of
globalization and free trade, but with the rise of authoritarian
capitalism I don't know if the current model of manufacturing can lead
to a freer world.. True, cheaper consumer products do empower the
masses but if cheaper products made in authoritarian countries means
higher unemployment in democratic countries that strengthen the hands
of the few who profits and better arms the few who rules, I don't know
if that is a net positive for those of us who cares about freedom.

Right now the startup is just a concept with some machines and a small
space at www.tux-lab.com. I think there are enough equipment to help
get us started. On my own, progress has been slow and it's going to
be a long journey. I'm still in the learning phase of just about
everything from FreeCAD, to python, to Ruby/Rails, to machining and
welding. Eventually every keyword for this group, open source
manufacturing, engineering, automation, abundance, post-scarcity, open
source distribution / transport, CAD, CAM, CAE, mechanical, open
source hardware design, will apply.

The first stage will mostly be learning the various open source
software and basic fabrication techniques. We'll start with simple
products and with every iteration we will build our products bigger
and better. Along the way we'll formulate our marketing plans and
build our own automation and robotic tools. As we progress we will
start filling in the details.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in forming an open source
manufacturing startup, please let me know. There are some physical
limitations due to fact that the space is located in Los Angeles, but
I look forward to a multinational open source conglomerate :)

elifarley

Mar 28, 2012, 8:01:10 PM3/28/12
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com

AgoristTeen1994

Apr 5, 2012, 5:44:43 AM4/5/12
to Open Manufacturing

While I am interested in helping out...I would need to learn how to
design with CAD/FreeCAD and program in python and Ruby/Rails....Oh
also I take issue to your usage of the phrase "authoritarian
capitalism" there is nothing authoritarian about true capitalism,
which has been very much perverted by the governments of the world.
But enough about that. Do you know any good places where I could learn
the skills I mentioned, FreeCAD, as well as programming in python and
Ruby/Rails, for free?

Alvaro F. Boirac

Apr 5, 2012, 7:28:32 AM4/5/12
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
@AgoristTeen,
A good place to start with python might be the CS101 in Audacity,
http://www.udacity.com/
or reading a byte of python, http://www.swaroopch.org/notes/Python

John Griessen

Apr 5, 2012, 3:04:03 PM4/5/12
On 04/05/2012 04:44 AM, AgoristTeen1994 wrote:
> I would need to learn how to
> design with CAD/FreeCAD and program in python and Ruby/Rails...

know any good places where I could learn
> the skills I mentioned, FreeCAD, as well as programming in python and
> Ruby/Rails, for free?

Try joining the lists for Ruby and the FreeCAD forum and ask questions and
try things out.

AgoristTeen1994

Apr 5, 2012, 4:17:04 PM4/5/12
to Open Manufacturing
Okay thanks Mr. Griessen and Mr. Boirac for the suggestions.

elf Pavlik

Apr 5, 2012, 3:44:58 PM4/5/12
to AgoristTeen1994, Open Manufacturing
Excerpts from AgoristTeen1994's message of 2012-04-05 09:44:43 +0000:

> Do you know any good places where I could learn
> the skills I mentioned, FreeCAD, as well as programming in python and
> Ruby/Rails, for free?

you can find many free RoR+ screencasts here:
http://www.learnivore.com/search/pricing/free

enjoy!

Tux Lab

Apr 5, 2012, 3:43:39 PM4/5/12
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com

For FreeCAD, you will want to run a stable version and a developmental version.  This way you can use the latest features, ie arc to arc tangent, while still have a fallback in case the developmental version breaks. .  which can and will happen.

Ruby/Rails has a pretty good book, Agile Web Development with Rails.  That's the book I used to learn rails a few year ago.    It has enough to get you started building your own website which is great learning process, you can probably find a copy in your local library.   Or, there are various online resources, just pick one and start building your website.

Python, udacity has a class, open sourseware has a class as well.  Both are free.

It may take a while to get everything setup on your system, hopefully some version of linux.   Once you get everything setup, it's just practice and more practice.   I'm fairly lazy so I have a hard time sitting through lectures.   I usually learn by tackling some project that sort forces me to seek for answers and that sort of help me with the learning process.

Authoritarian capitalism is just one type of capitalism and there are no "true" capitalism because "true" capitalism is like id on steroid.   I'm an "open source" capitalist because I believe free market and transparency should be mutually inclusive.

AgoristTeen1994

Apr 10, 2012, 6:54:19 AM4/10/12
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the info everyone.