Open Call for Open Science Equipment + $50 reward

kingjacob

Nov 25, 2010, 11:56:52 AM11/25/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Tx/Rx Labs, openmanu...@googlegroups.com, thing...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

I'm emailing to announce that The Citizen Science Quarterly is currently holding an open call for open source ideas for scientific equipment.  I've attached the full post beloew but in short the goal is simply to get more people thinking about Open Science Equipment and the best idea will receive a $50 credit to Ponoko to construct the idea.

Announcement link: http://thecitizensciencequarterly.com/2010/11/25/open-call-for-open-science-equipment/

==============================

Currently, most of the equipment in “garage” science labs come from auctions, craigslist and what ever people can scavenge.  While occasionally you can find a gem that doesnt break the bank. Most of whats out there is usually outdated, broken or missing manuals. If citizen science is expected to make real discoveries, we need new tools. Specifically tools that are open source and of good design so that they can be built upon and improved by the community. Off the top of my head I can think of only 2 open sourced pieces of equipment that I can go out, buy and be able to use within a week or two, The Pearl Gel Box and the dremelfuge.  There a few more projects in the early stages of production. But overall there is a severe lack of Open Science equipment.  To help get more people thinking and designing we are holding a call for Open Science Design Ideas. And thanks to the support of Ponoko the best idea will receive $50 in credit to make their idea.

To enter an idea be sure to follow the instructions below and email your idea to jacob(at)thecitizensciencequarterly.com

  • Describe your idea so a lay person will understand its use.
  • To be picked, idea must be able to be built using Ponoko/sparkfun components
  • Prove that you are capable of completing your idea it i.e. drawings, CADs, Schematics, past work, whatever you think will convince us.
  • Must agree to be licensed under at least a CC BY-NC-SA. If you'd prefer a more open license thats okay too, just let us know.

On Dec 15th we’ll pick the best idea and they’ll recieve the $50 credit to put towards the construction of their idea.  Good luck brainstorming and If you have any questions, please leave a comment.

P.s. Thanks again to Ponoko for supporting this project.

--
Thank You,
Jacob Shiach

Jordan Miller

Dec 5, 2010, 3:36:16 PM12/5/10
to thing...@googlegroups.com, kingjacob, diy...@googlegroups.com, Tx/Rx Labs, openmanu...@googlegroups.com, make...@googlegroups.com, hive76-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the info! Here is my entry to the contest:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5045

Comments and suggestions are welcome!!

jordan

> --
> Thank You,
> Jacob Shiach
> Editor
> CitizenScienceQuarterly
>

> --
> Go visit thingiverse at http://thingiverse.com and stay tuned to the blog at http://blog.thingiverse.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Dec 5, 2010, 5:36:31 PM12/5/10
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Jordan Miller <jrd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jacob,
>
> Thanks for the info! Here is my entry to the contest:
> http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5045
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome!!
>
> jordan

nice work