Fwd: Open Hardware Licence

Chris Watkins

May 6, 2009, 12:26:22 AM5/6/09
to Open Manufacturing, stuarti...@hotmail.com
FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stuart Naylor <stuarti...@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, May 5, 2009 at 18:04
Subject: [cc-community] Open Hardware Licence
To: cc-com...@lists.ibiblio.org

Getting straight to the point I have design for an energy saving lighting system which has possibilities of saving up to 80% of current incandescent systems.
The base layer combines master and slave network nodes and corresponding electronic designs and microprocessor firmware. It also runs on a streamlined bespoke communication protocol.
The design goal is to maximise functionality for the least cost and confirm to current installation and regulation practises.
That’s enough of the electronics gubage I am here to plead my case and show my ignorance to the validity of Open Source Hardware.

1. Hopefully someone will tell me that I am wrong in my assumption that the real world doesn't lend itself to the ideology of open source hardware. Copyleft has problems with the norm of patent and even though there are a small amount of open source hardware projects their validity is still to be tested.

2. As I say I am unsure of copyleft to specific hardware layouts, but references to the network architecture in terms of implementation and layout are more likely?

3. Firmware of master and slave nodes; Software no problem.

4. Network protocol again I am unsure of to what extent.

I having been working on the design for four years and wish to release a documented system on the web and have a huge headache in terms of licensing. I am quite prepared to open my IP with the goal of any usage providing reference to the original source. I am passionate about energy saving and also have a dislike to corporate IP but the main thing is that an open source collaborative effort could accelerate a common standard in a confused arena. Just to kick-start the idea is of importance and I would greatly appreciate any help.

Many Thanks
Stuart

StuartI...@HotMail.Com

Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!

Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es