Specific consciousness raising points for short videos?

Paul D. Fernhout

Jun 29, 2009, 1:17:55 PM6/29/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
While in my previous email I suggested maybe *general* issues about
technology and society are in the social consciousness, maybe some
*specific* points might still need raising?

These are the ones I consider important:
* limited demand invalidates classical macroeconomics relating to employment;
* the basic income guarantee and its history, as one of multiple ways to
address the exponential increase in technological capacity and job loss;
* the issue of post-scarcity technology wielded to create artificial scarcities;
* the potential of 3D printing if it follows the growth of 2D printing and
continues to improve; and
* how our social values may affect the nature of any Technological
Singularity, and how the Singularity is a mirror.

The third point on artificial scarcities is linked to open manufacturing as
an idea -- proprietary technology being an artificial scarcity maintained by
patents and copyrights and the threat of force.

But I can't say they are that much different from the 1964 Triple Revolution
memorandum. Or Marshall Brain's Robotic Nation and Manna.

As I have been writing here and on OpenVirgle and Virgle over the past year,
this seems to boil down most of my main points. Maybe Post-Scarcity
Princeton even boils down to these points? I'm sure there are a few more,
but these seem to be the most essential.

Then there are some general values and lenses I use to view things. There
are some other values like strategic non-violence that are important in
practice (as Domhoff suggests). There is the issue of people (and societies)
growing roots that keep them from psychologically toppling over (and maybe
survive and grow from "Dark Nights of the Soul"). There is the notion that
there are a spectrum of alternative ways to approach technology and social
change (engage, evade, transform, collaborate, control, etc.). There is the
Meshwork/Hierarchy balance idea of Manuel de Landa. There is the notion of
cooperation that Alfie Kohn advocates instead of competition (although I can
wonder how that interacts with meshwork-hierarchy balance, like two Ultimate
Frisbee teams competing with each other but cooperating inside the team).
There are general Gatto and Holt points on schooling versus education. There
is another idea about people passing colors of enlightenment back and forth
to create a global rainbow as each person grows as a rainbow.

So, I'm wondering if some YouTube videos, of the one or two minute Global
Mindshift Wombat style might be the most effective way to make these points?
http://www.global-mindshift.org/discover/viewMeme.asp?resourceID=239
"The wombat speaks, and he's smarter than you, so listen up! In less than a
minute, this rapid-fire animation tells you everything you need to know
about how to get along on earth for the next million years."

But, I have never made such a video or animation before, nor am I much of an
visual artist. If anyone here was looking for projects to do, and had
artistic and video skills, taking one of these themes and making a one
minute video (or a little longer) about it might be an interesting challenge.

Essentially, these would be public service announcements for Open
Manufacturing (at least as I see the big picture, others naturally may have
their own opinions).

Here are two other effective videos of a few minutes each:
"Presentation of stagnant wages, and rising profits, and rising debt"
http://www.capitalismhitsthefan.com/
"Trusted Computing"
http://www.lafkon.net/tc/

Then there are the much longer videos:
http://www.moneyasdebt.net/
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
http://lifeincorporated.net/
http://www.warriorsofthe.net/

But a one or two minute video could probably cover each of these themes?

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/

Paul D. Fernhout

Jun 29, 2009, 1:19:44 PM6/29/09
Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> While in my previous email I suggested maybe *general* issues about
> technology and society are in the social consciousness, maybe some
> *specific* points might still need raising?

Another one that should be in the bullet list is:
* how the cost of computing dropping towards zero makes all prices drop
towards zero.

--Paul Fernhout