The Skills of Xanadu online at Google Books?

Paul D. Fernhout

Mar 16, 2009, 3:15:25 PM3/16/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
The short story "The Skills of Xanadu" is one of my favorite short stories
of all time and is directly about open manufacturing.

I just noticed it as available online at Google Books here:
"The Skills of Xanadu" by Theodore Sturgeon in "And Now the News".
http://books.google.com/books?id=wpuJQrxHZXAC&pg=PA51&lpg=PP1

I cannot recommend this story enough.

Can people here read it all at that link? It's about thirty pages.
(Don't skip just to the end, it would spoil it. :-)

I don't know how many page views that book would have before it locks out
viewing by individuals? I paged through the entire story once, but after I
closed my browser and came back, the book locked me out from any more page
views. So, maybe you should look at it when you have half an hour to spare.

Anyway, that story is one of the most inspirational thing about open
manufacturing (and the internet and nanotech) out there IMHO. And it was
written in the 1950s.

--Paul Fernhout

Bryan Bishop

Mar 16, 2009, 3:49:51 PM3/16/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> I don't know how many page views that book would have before it locks out
> viewing by individuals? I paged through the entire story once, but after I
> closed my browser and came back, the book locked me out from any more page
> views. So, maybe you should look at it when you have half an hour to spare.

fixed: http://heybryan.org/books/Manufacturing/The%20Skills%20of%20Xanadu.pdf

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507