Fwd: [OH Updates] Open source hardware logo repository

Bryan Bishop

Aug 12, 2011, 2:40:53 PM8/12/11
to Open Manufacturing, Bryan Bishop

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brandon Stafford <bra...@rascalmicro.com>
Date: Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM
Subject: [OH Updates] Open source hardware logo repository
To: defin...@lists.openhardwaresummit.org, upd...@lists.openhardwaresummit.org

Hi all,

It seemed like the open source hardware logo needed a home, so I made it one: oshwlogo.com.

Please publicize this on your blog/twitter/gramophone/etc. I'm happy to receive any new formats that aren't already represented, either via email or via Github pull requests. Also, I'd like to make clear that I will happily turn responsibility for the logo, as well as the domain, over to the "Open Source Hardware Foundation," or similar entity, should one arise.

Thanks to all the folks who have created different formats so far-- from the response I've gotten so far, people definitely appreciate your work.

Cheers,
Brandon
--
Brandon Stafford
Rascal Micro: small computers for art and science

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Bryan Bishop

Aug 12, 2011, 6:35:17 PM8/12/11
to Open Manufacturing, Bryan Bishop
Aug 12, 2011, 9:09:43 PM8/12/11
to Open Manufacturing, Bryan Bishop
Aug 14, 2011, 1:53:31 PM8/14/11
to Open Manufacturing, Bryan Bishop
Aug 14, 2011, 9:45:30 PM8/14/11
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
> Next I want to throw in a viral-style restriction with one qualification; if
> you (or subsidiaries etc) own one of the other footings the viral license
> applies, but if you don't own it there is an exemption.  For example, a
> person who did not work for HP could run the software on his HP laptop
> without having to release the design files for the laptop.  But HP cannot do
> so since they own the design files.  They must release their laptop design
> files to run the software.  So for software, the license sort of "reduces"
> to GPL if you run it on hardware you don't own.

So what happens when (for example) HP Laptops Pty Ltd makes the
hardware, and HP Software Support Pty Ltd develops the software, and
neither 'owns' the other, rather they're both owned by some umbrella
company that had no involvement in either hardware or software? Or
what if legally, they're completely independent and simply license the
trademark HP?

Many large companies are already structured like this.

Bryan Bishop

Aug 14, 2011, 9:57:33 PM8/14/11
to Open Manufacturing, Bryan Bishop
Aug 16, 2011, 9:39:18 AM8/16/11