Fwd: RFI, Game Changing Technology Development

Paul D. Fernhout

Sep 1, 2010, 7:11:01 PM9/1/10
to Open Manufacturing
Just thought some people here might find this of interest...

My response to one of NASA's "Request for Information" bulletins in regard
to "Game Changing Technology Development". I suggest developing
self-replicating space habitats in an open manufacturing way. :-)

Anyway, back to more productive work. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
====
The biggest challenge of the 21st century is the irony of technologies of
abundance in the hands of those thinking in terms of scarcity.

Sep 1, 2010, 10:56:22 PM9/1/10
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> self-replicating space habitats that can duplicate
> themselves from sunlight and asteroidal ore.

Why are we unable to do this on Earth?

Paul D. Fernhout

Sep 1, 2010, 11:44:22 PM9/1/10
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com

We can do such things on Earth. I think the technology could be useful both
on Earth and in space. But when you use it in space, you don't have to worry
about as many environmental consequences, and also you can produce enough
room for thousands of Earth's worth of people, animals, plants, etc.. But,
as I outline there, we can develop technologies the both make better Earthly
communities and prepare the way for space habitats. For example, learning
how to make things so they are recyclable would help both on Earth and in
space. Learning how to make more energy efficient circuits would help both
on Earth and in space. Learning how to recycle water better would help in
both places. Learning how to make small items on an as-needed basis (like
with RepRap) would help in both. Creating easier to use design tools for
creating and sharing open designs would help both on Earth and to design
space settlements. Developing a better understanding of human nutrition
would help in both places. Improved ability to use solar power would help
both on Earth and in space. And so on.

Patrick Anderson

Sep 2, 2010, 12:15:12 AM9/2/10
Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> We can do such things on Earth.

But we don't.

We choose scarcity instead.

Paul D. Fernhout

Sep 2, 2010, 2:54:15 AM9/2/10
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com

Well, that's an overly broad statement. For example, consider Albert Lea, MN:
http://www.bluezones.com/makeover-about
"The AARP/Blue Zones Vitality Project will focus on four areas that are
crucial to health and longevity: Community Environment, Social Networks,
Habitat and Individual Sense of Purpose."

But is there a lot of truth to your statement anyway? Yes, I'd have to
agree, all too often.

But space, and maybe in general science-fiction, has often been a way to
excite people's imagination to break out of their ruts. The best value to
going into space may be all the great ideas that come back to Earth, in the
same way that the greatest long-term value for Europe in sending people to
the New World (ignoring what happened to the Natives) may have been how the
US centuries later created all sorts of great technology that flowed back to
Europe.