important appeal: social media and p2p tools against the meltdown

Michel Bauwens

Mar 4, 2009, 11:03:24 PM3/4/09
to Peer-To-Peer Research List, lis...@oekonux.org, openmanufacturing
Thanks to Joseph (or was it Sam?), I came across http://otherexcuses.blogspot.com/2009/01/social-media-vs-recession.html, which I will cover on the blog, and through some further linking on initiatives such as http://www.deskspacegenie.co.uk/

Though commercial, it illustrates that social media and p2p tools can be one of the ways to help individuals and communities cope with the crisis, and even transform our  society and economy.

Since this issue is eminently practical and affects human survival and well-being, I think we should cover these initiatives with more focus than usual.

So here is a first appeal:

- can you send me anything you have already found on the topic? The only requirement is that it represents some practical advance for those who would use it, making a real difference in their lives ...

I will start the following page to keep track of it: http://www.p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Meltdown_Solutions

Michel

--
Working at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net - http://p2pfoundation.ning.com

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by SHIFTN, http://www.shiftn.com/

Nathan Cravens

Mar 5, 2009, 1:36:23 AM3/5/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, Peer-To-Peer Research List, lis...@oekonux.org, Greg
Hi Michel,

Thanks for making this call.

What I have to present addresses the three questions asked by the author of 'Social Media vs. the Economic Recession'. Housing may need to be manufactured out of Fab Labs at first until rent based vacancies are too rampant, lowering prices down to practicality. Our contact to solve the housing issue is Larry Sass. From http://otherexcuses.blogspot.com/2009/01/social-media-vs-recession.html:
  • practical/financial (e.g. how do I pay the rent/avoid my house being repossessed?)

  • emotional/psychological (e.g. how do I face my friends? where do I get my identity from now I don't have a job?)

  • directional (e.g. what do I do with my time? how do I find work?)

Here's an idea package to add to the TO DO NOW list:

The Open Cafe / Community Supported Agriculture / Fab Lab Alliance

Open Cafes:
The physical hub for activity. A place where meals are prepared by people for people to eat for zero money. Its hip and empowering to dine/work/have a chat here.

Community Supported Agriculture:
Enough participants work in DIY gardens or community farms and donate the produce to the Cafe and or from government issued food cards. (I play both sides for the same aim)

Open Source Fab Labs:
Cafes align with OS Fab Labs to fill out the resource necessity gap to further save financial cost.

Wikis provide only an example for the communications medium used until better mediums are made: easy to use and easier to organize. For now, let's work with the communications we have ready-made: e-mail and wikis.

Here are a few, but hardly all, hoops to jump through to make this Alliance a reality. This is just to prime the creative pump.

The Cafe is the focus:
  • A space and resources are donated for this purpose by those that see the benefit. It can begin in your home and branch out. In urban settings, it can begin with what is already public domain, the local park.
  • Food and beverage donation. Donations for the day/week can be viewed in advance on the Cafe's wiki. Most everyone will want to participate in production because everyone can go here for free. There are no consumers here, rather, this is where producers are born willingly. There is not much difference between consumption or production here.
  • If money is needed, a wiki shows expenses that need to be met and what is generating them; those in the Fab Lab then have something to make to reduce or eliminate that cost.
  • Event planning. This too is done in wikis and is a place for people to perform or have specific discussions at the Cafe or elsewhere (like at the CSA or Fab Lab) to benefit the Cafe and the people that go there. The Cafe is our focus, because its where all of our interests can unite: in putting food literally on the table.
  • Elaborate and replicate the Cafe as needed from here: http://opencafe.wikispot.org/
Other than crowdsourcing, here's another way the Trio can receive additional funding until its less or no longer required. If one part of the trio has more surplus funds than another, these funds are tapped by the Cafe or Community Farm as needed based on the Open Source Pact or publicly viewable and revisable mutual agreement. (when necessary) Ideally, this pact works very well as a wiki. The establishment of a wiki contract shows in itself how well the contract works.

The Sell Stuff to Get Stuff Business Model

I want to produce a Fab Lab to make 'almost' anything, but first need money to build one, but I'm not interested in profit so much as getting these labs up globally for abundant access so people can make what they want to have (rather than purchasing it / bashing me over the head for one). In prospect, once these labs are ubiquitous, I will ask "how can I make this?" rather than "where can I buy this?" Later it will only be "where can I make this" as desired. Knowing this foreseeable reality makes the presentation of Open Business plans like this one even more relevant and necessary.

I then go to the market and see what's selling for a high return that's easiest to make with as few tools and resources as possible. Once I've reverse engineered (open sourced) the thing and simplified the production process (potentially ignorant of patent law) I can now build it in our feeble lab and sell it for a return (like on Ebay) in order to put more tools in the lab which are then reverse engineered and resold to produce more fabrication tools and so on until a fully replicable Open Source Fab Lab is in every town around the world.

The Fab Lab is only an example presented in the story found in the preceding two paragraphs. The basis of this model can work for a CSA and Cafe as well, but I suspect OS Fab Labs will be the bread winner financially for these groups, even if the bread comes from the CSA and made at the Cafe by real people with real machines. I say OS Fabs will be the bread winners because the stuff made there are more difficult than replicating Cafes or Farms. Argument complete.

Conclusion

My presentation and prose may be a fault, but I believe the general ideas are sound. If you disagree, its only based on my presentation. With your help or without you even knowing it we will amplify and attenuate a version of this proposal into practicality before generating something better. This can begin by further refining the ideas described here to better assist: viable application.

Support Michel and P2P Foundation, Factor e Farm and Appropedia, your local OS Fab Lab, CSA, and start an Open Cafe. MIT, can you spare a dime? We'll be fine given our persistence toward the aims touched on here.

Nathan Cravens
Effortless Economy

BTW, everything I have to say past, present, and prospective is public domain. I'm only saying this once here. Just don't blame or hurt me (based on my undisclosed definition of pain) if it causes a problem for you. Rework it to your advantage, the advantage that works for the benefit itself works the best, that is, that which works best in the longest run for the most people.

Michel Bauwens

Mar 5, 2009, 3:06:04 AM3/5/09
to Nathan Cravens, openmanu...@googlegroups.com, lis...@oekonux.org, Peer-To-Peer Research List, Greg
Nathan,

I'm publishing this on the 8th: http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/p2p-answers-the-meltdown-nathan-cravens/2009/03/08

keep it coming!!

Michel

Nathan Cravens

Mar 6, 2009, 10:39:03 PM3/6/09
to Michel Bauwens, openmanu...@googlegroups.com, lis...@oekonux.org, Peer-To-Peer Research List, Greg
Thanks for the support Michel. That content I boldly title 'The Triple Alliance' is developed here:

I dare call it the New Triple Revolution! Right now its the contemporary equivalent of scribbles on a napkin. I look forward to collaberating with you on writing it. From this idea set, I can see clearly things I would otherwise ignore in the many dimensions needed for abundant society.

I hope to see more ideas like these and the ways they are (can be) put to practice. We need applications now for this meltdown. What is presently in practice in Iceland? The organizational approach described in the Triple Alliance will come into greater demand as we continue to make our world more abundant.

Nathan

Helen Titchen Beeth

Mar 7, 2009, 3:28:03 AM3/7/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
Nathan, this is fascinating stuff... Do you have any stories about where this approach is being applied? I am interested to hear stories of people's experience with it. That is the next step to getting it spread!

:-)

Kevin Carson

Mar 10, 2009, 12:01:55 PM3/10/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, Peer-To-Peer Research List

#

It’s an excellent model for community resilience–simultaneously a
cushion that could enable the unemployed to subsist outside the wage
system and form the nucleus of a future post-mass production economy
centered on production outside the wage system.

A few points:

The Fab lab concept should be expanded to include all forms of
small-scale production tools affordable by individuals. This would
include well-equipped home workshops with conventional machine tools,
as well as intermediate-sized tools like the multimachine. This
broader conception would coincide with the community workshops
advocated by Colin Ward, Karl Hess, etc.

Local agriculture should place a premium on alternative water sources
(esp. rainwater conservation with cisterns), edible permaculture
landscaping, etc., for resilience against drought and other forms of
climate change associated with global warming.

And adding housing as a fourth and separate category, rather than only
related tangentially to the other functions of the Cafe, would fill a
big gap in the overall resiliency strategy. It might be some kind of
cheap, bare bones cohousing project associated with the Cafe (water
taps, cots, hotplates, etc) that would house people at minimal cost on
the YMCA model. Squats in abandoned/public buildings, and building
with scavenged materials on vacant lots, etc. (a la Colin Ward), might
tie in with this as wel

Vinay Gupta’s work on emergency life-support technology for refugees
is also relevant to the housing problem: offering cheap LED lighting,
solar cookers, water purifiers, etc., to those living in tent cities
and Hoovervilles.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism

Nathan Cravens

Mar 13, 2009, 1:40:24 AM3/13/09
to Kevin Carson, openmanu...@googlegroups.com, Peer-To-Peer Research List
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your feedback. This proposal fits well with Open Source Market Economy we've discussed, in that, it anticipates the decrease in monetary necessity.

It’s an excellent model for community resilience–simultaneously a
cushion that could enable the unemployed to subsist outside the wage
system and form the nucleus of a future post-mass production economy
centered on production outside the wage system.

My hopes are that these environments help people thrive and support independent living through community organizing. It would be a place to network and learn skills that help to revise, add, or replicate various parts most personally attractive based on the resource dynamic, like available applicable knowledge and material resources. The intention is to make the organizational approach transparent and self organizing.

I recently read Wallerstein's introduction to world systems analysis. I find the approach very attractive. This view provides the empirical backing for the effort.

First comes developing this proposal further into something adoptable.

A few points:

The Fab lab concept should be expanded to include all forms of
small-scale production tools affordable by individuals. This would
include well-equipped home workshops with conventional machine tools,
as well as intermediate-sized tools like the multimachine. This
broader conception would coincide with the community workshops
advocated by Colin Ward, Karl Hess, etc.

I will look into Ward and Hess for more background. My influences presently are that of Factor e Farm and NYC Resistor. Factor e for more rural settings and NYC for an urban model.

Local agriculture should place a premium on alternative water sources
(esp. rainwater conservation with cisterns), edible permaculture
landscaping, etc., for resilience against drought and other forms of
climate change associated with global warming.

The Vigyan Ashram has developed affordable methods of ground water detection. For dry areas there are ways of condensing moisture in the air. Desalinization can be used for communities near the sea.

Appropedia is a good hub for the various ways of water.
http://www.appropedia.org/Portal:Water

And adding housing as a fourth and separate category, rather than only
related tangentially to the other functions of the Cafe, would fill a
big gap in the overall resiliency strategy. It might be some kind of
cheap, bare bones cohousing project associated with the Cafe (water
taps, cots, hotplates, etc) that would house people at minimal cost on
the YMCA model. Squats in abandoned/public buildings, and building
with scavenged materials on vacant lots, etc. (a la Colin Ward), might
tie in with this as wel

Fabs can support rapid fabrication for housing. I'll look into the YMCA model. I can imagine hostel-like rooms for those that avidly work in these areas.

In an urban area, one large multi-level building could provide all basic needs. A floor for  hydroponicly grown food, the fab, and cafe. The remaining space can be used for housing. The more sophisticated the fabs and availibility of materials, the better conditions may rival or exceed present middle class standards.

Vinay Gupta’s work on emergency life-support technology for refugees
is also relevant to the housing problem: offering cheap LED lighting,
solar cookers, water purifiers, etc., to those living in tent cities
and Hoovervilles.

Cafes and CSAs without fabs can draw from Vinay's work and that of Open Source Ecology, particularly the Hexcube for rapid housing.

Nathan

Vinay Gupta

Mar 13, 2009, 5:18:55 AM3/13/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Carson, Peer-To-Peer Research List

Just while we're here, please don't conflate the hexayurt and the cube (which, well, always had six sides.) The cube has twice the materials use per square foot, half the surface-to-volume ratio (giving much less insulation for a given R value of wall) and no meaningful internal triangulation which will cause all kinds of structural issues if you work in lighter materials.

 It's not an equivalent structure, nor even a related one. If you want to insulate with fiberglass there are reasons for building the cube, but (as I've said elsewhere) my strong preference is for reflective insulations like reflectix on hexayurts.

Vinay

--
Vinay Gupta
Free Science and Engineering in the Global Public Interest

http://guptaoption.com/map - social project connection map

http://hexayurt.com - free/open next generation human sheltering
http://hexayurt.com/plan - the whole systems, big picture vision

Gizmo Project VOIP : (USA) 775-743-1851
Skype/Gizmo/Gtalk/AIM: hexayurt
Twitter: @hexayurt http://twitter.com/hexayurt
UK Cell : +44 (0) 0795 425 3533 / USA VOIP (+1) 775-743-1851

"If it doesn't fit, force it."

Ted Hall, ShopBot

Mar 14, 2009, 9:59:13 AM3/14/09
to Open Manufacturing