Looking for Fabricators

Marcin Jakubowski

Apr 20, 2011, 3:11:36 AM4/20/11
to Open Manufacturing
Friends,

We're looking for fabricators at Factor e Farm. If you are interested, please respond, and pass this on.

http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/2011/04/looking-for-fabricators/#more-2952

Marcin

Marcin Jakubowski, Ph.D.
TED Fellow, 2011
Global Village Construction Set TED Talk
Open Source Ecology
http://opensourceecology.org
Skype: marcin_ose
Key Links:
  1. New! Global Village Construction Set (GVCS) in 2 Minutes - 2 min video
  2. How to Build a Post-Scarcity Village – 5 min video
  3. OSE featured in Plenitude: New Economics of Real Wealth – 3 min video
  4. Economy in a Box presentation – 45 min video
  5. Progress on the ground – tractor, CEB press, hole puncher, torch table, crowd funding

Nobody said that building the world's first open source village would be easy.

-- Anonymous, 2009

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

NOTICE: All discussion in this communication is in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you are sharing proprietary, confidential, or otherwise privileged information, you must make that explicit. Otherwise, this discussion may be copied, republished, and otherwise used in the public domain - respectfully and with proper attribution.

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Apr 20, 2011, 10:11:05 PM4/20/11
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
Marcin, I just saw your TED video. Great job!

I am launching an open enterprise SENSORICA to design, fabricate and distribute material products, in this case we're talking about optical fiber-based sensors, and different high tech systems that integrate them. I am using as a guide the Discovery Network blueprint of an open enterprise that I created in 2008. The goal is to create a high tech open and decentralized enterprise as an alternative to corporations. We are implementing a contribution-based compensation model.

Now, what could farming have in common with high tech sensors? The organization of production.

Machines designed by Open Source Ecology can be produced by open enterprises around the world. Those who contribute to their fabrication and to their improvement will be remunerated according to their contribution.

Let's think beyond classical structures like the corporation, the cooperative, the partnership... Let's build a new economy.

Tiberius
Creator of Discovery Network
Founder of SENSORICA open enterprise

Bryan Bishop

Apr 20, 2011, 10:29:06 PM4/20/11
to Open Manufacturing, Bryan Bishop
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Tiberius Brastaviceanu <tiberius.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
Let's think beyond classical structures like the corporation, the cooperative, the partnership... Let's build a new economy.

is this spam? If anyone else has an opinion I'd like to hear.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Marcus Wolschon

Apr 21, 2011, 2:17:23 AM4/21/11
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
I'm not sure how to deal with it?
What kind of "fabricators" is he talking about?

Marcus

Leo Dearden

Apr 21, 2011, 4:53:45 AM4/21/11
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
I've just given the linked materials a 20 minute skim.

This is earnest, and has some value. (NOT spam in any way).

The "Discovery Network" is possible way to organise a substantial sized group effort to produce some useful output, such that each participant in the effort gets rewarded according to their contribution.

The DN is supposed to be more intention guided (rather than profit guided) than a corporation. The reward incentives have been designed with this in mind, and I think they're a step in the right direction, though _I_ wouldn't adopt them exactly as is.

It is also supposed to be more open than a corporation or traditional cooperative. Again, I think it achieves this, but probably isn't quite optimal.

It has some things in common with John Robb's Open Source Venture, but seems to use a different trade off: more active system-wide coordination and so worse scaling.

I may read more and make some constructive criticisms.

IMHO, this isn't something that OSE would benefit from (for the clearly forseeable future). The deal Marcin is offering is much simpler: Do some immediately useful work; In return, learn something useful, get some money, and contribute to something you care about. While the money side of this deal doesn't capture more than a fraction of the value exchanged, it doesn't need to. The arrangement will fulfil the intentions of all the participants adequate, and using a DN wouldn't be a net improvement (due to overheads, if nothing else).

My opinion may change with further reading, but that's where I'm at for now.

Tiberius, thanks for your contribution. Difficulties with Governance and Reward Sharing may be or become limiting factors in the creation of post scarcity. I think the DN is flawed as it stands but could be evolved into a useful tool for medium sized ventures/efforts.

From the superficial reading I've given it, I'll say:
 - Work on making the executive summary more concise and clearer. New readers should be able to work out what they're reading about within a sentence, and have all the major points by the end of the paragraph. Use very simple language, especially in this section.
 - One big problem with the system as proposed seems to be in the reward sharing model. It requires a lot of work up front to asses a Value Proposition, for both the DN participants and the proposer. This won't scale well.
 - A specific problem is with the proposed deadlock mechanism. I gives dangerously unfair weight to the minor participants: Malicious participants in a numerical majority can steal any proportion of any DN if they have enough associates willing to join their scheme. (eg: Founder has 90% and two malicious minor participants have 5% each. The minor participants can can always force a vote, form a bloc and win the vote, regarding any new work. Thus they can always ratchet the founder's share down by adding their associates with ever increasing shares.). If you change the system to voting by share the problem goes away. Anyone who doesn't like the result can depart the DN and put their effort elsewhere.

I wish you every success with your own DN and the development of DNs in general.

Best Wishes,

Leo
--
Leo

--
RepRapKit.com

Marcus Wolschon

Apr 21, 2011, 5:12:38 AM4/21/11
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a nightmare of quality management and logistics.
How would you ever promise a customer some thing with a consistent quality at a given time.

Marcus

Paul D. Fernhout

Apr 21, 2011, 10:07:09 AM4/21/11
On 4/20/11 10:29 PM, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Tiberius Brastaviceanu<
> tiberius.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Let's think beyond classical structures like the corporation, the
>> cooperative, the partnership... Let's build a new economy.
>

> is this spam? If anyone else has an opinion I'd like to hear.

I don't know anything specific about what Tiberius is doing but the
general comment makes sense to me. :-)

Here is something related by me in the context of the recent LENR (cold
fusion) demos by Andrea Rossi (which seem to be gaining more and more
evidence, but in any case, this applies to any sort of increase in
technological capabilities, whether solar cells, industrial robots,
MakerBots, or CubeSpawn or SKDB or whatever):
http://peswiki.com/index.php/OS:Economic_Transformation
"The key point here is that breakthrough clean energy technologies will
change the very nature of our economic system. They will shift the
balance between four different interwoven economies we have always had
(subsistence, gift, planned, and exchange). Inventors who have struggled
so hard in a system currently dominated by exchange may have to think
about the socioeconomic implications of their invention in causing a
permanent economic phase change. A clean energy breakthrough will
probably create a different balance of those four economies like toward
greater local subsistence and more gift giving (as James P. Hogan talks
about in Voyage From Yesteryear). So, to focus on making money in the
old socioeconomic paradigm (like by focusing on restrictive patents) may
be very ironic, compared to freely sharing a great gift with the world
that may change the overall dynamics of our economy to the point where
money does not matter very much anymore."

Incidentally, on cold fusion, though this still is not general "proof":
http://pesn.com/2011/04/07/9501805_Rossi_Cold_Fusion_Validated_by_Swedish_Skeptics_Society/

I think the general issue that everyone here has, whether Tiberius,
Marcin, you, or me, or most anyone else here, is that our socioeconomics
is undergoing a widespread change, a change mostly unacknowledged (or
even fought when noticed). We are transitioning from a heavily
exchange-based economy back towards emphasizing a gift economy and local
subsistence (as well as better planning using computers). Kevin Carson's
and Patrick Anderson's comments have also been illuminating to me on
this. That transition is made possible for a lot of reasons, whether
cheap mobile computing, MakerBots, ShopBots, general purpose robots like
Willow Garage, fancy free software, alternative energy breakthroughs in
solar, wind, or maybe cold fusion, other cultural changes, or whatever.

So, we all keep trying to come up with plans to survive economically in
an exchange-based economy during that transition, but we all have one
foot in the old exchange ways while trying to have one foot in the new
gift/subsistence/planning ways. So, in that sense, everything we try is
important, but it is also mostly absurd in the long term as far as
emphasizing exchange aspects. :-) Example, again by me: :-)
http://www.artificialscarcity.com/

Still, for real scarcity, I can imagine we may still have some
exchange-based economics down the road. And those real scarcities may
even include things like "attention", because you can have a real local
scarcity of something (for example, a busy person with limited time)
even when overall there may be no global scarcity of something (for
example, lots of people globally).

So, when one looks at business models, one has to ask, is it based on
real scarcity or is it based on artificial scarcity? And how will real
scarcity change in the future (as a moving target with technological
innovation)? I was glad to hear Marcin mention the concept of artificial
scarcity and moving beyond it at the end of his TED talk.

It seems to me that Marcin, for example, like many of us here, is often
trying to fund work in the gift economy by production of real scarce
goods in the exchange economy. So, that creates a tension. I imagine
Tiberius might have the same tensions in whatever he does. There are
other ways to work in the gift economy, but they entail different
approaches. For example, Marcin also gets donations, so that is more
being entirely in the gift economy. Some people get grants, and there
you are getting funds from the planning economy (government, and backed
by government threats in relation to taxes) but then directed to enable
individuals in an exchange economy to make gifts to the public. One way
to cut through this set of problems would be to have a basic income, but
we don't have a global one yet, and even then, a basic income connects
to propping up an exchange economy, and eventually also might seem absurd.

Here is why exchange-based "incentivized" production is problematical in
the information age, which cites research by the US Federal Reserve
showing the ideological underpinnings of exchange-based economics are
absurd in the 21st century:
"RSA Animate - Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

Note by the way that in the USA, agriculture has passed the point where
it is done for direct profit in most cases for individuals, given
agricultural machinery is so effective. Most farmers in the USA barely
break even or even lose money on their farming, and most need off-farm
jobs to survive. What pays for farming in the USA, if anything, is the
tax-breaks for farm land, and also that the land might appreciate and
eventually be sold. Basically, by widespread competition and automation,
US food prices are too low to support farmers. About 50% of the US
population was farming a century ago, now it is more like 2%. A lot of
people like to grow stuff (gardening is the most popular hobby), and
that leaves a lot of people who might farm if the could, and so the
surplus labor pool keeps costs down.

We may well see the same for manufacturing as automation, better design
drive the percent of people who are in "manufacturing" down towards 2%
farming levels (which is the trend). So, then we are left with
manufacturing as the next "gardening". :-) I had a previous post with
that title. So, if you look at the people who are being successful in
the open manufacturing field, whether MakerBot or Make Magazine, they
may have parallels to successful gardening supply vendors? Make Magazine
might be like the Rodale Press of open manufacturing? And MakerBot might
be like the Burpees Seeds? I don't know, I'm just trying to put out a
metaphor for thinking about these business models. I don't think Burpees
and Rodale made most of their money off of trying to sell stuff to
conventional farmers? Instead, they sold stuff to garderners?
In general, there might be some business models there worth exploring.

Ted Hall has managed an intermediate niche with ShopBot Tools, bringing
down the cost of CAD/CAM for woodworkers by a factor of ten or so, but
still producing for the exchange market. That is the more conventional
way to run an innovative business, and he is not totally "open source"
in what he does, either. Everyone can try to find the niche that works
for them, but there can still be various conflicts over ideology and
approach, etc..

To the extent Marcin's quest for fabricators looks like Burpees or
Rodale, or Tiberius' SENSORICA ends up looking like some gardening tool
company like Smith and Hawken, maybe they will be successful in the long
term, even as our economy changes a lot? Otherwise, it seems such
ventures would need to look a lot more like mainstream exchange-based
ventures or otherwise face quality issues like Marcus mentions, or
governance issues like Leo mentions.

I think this is a general problem in this whole area, where projects try
to live in multiple realms. People can feel disappointed because there
expectations in one realm were not met, even if the project does a lot
in another realm for someone or some group or the whole world.

Doing stuff as a hobby remains an alternative for many people who
already have a source of income that is enough to live on, such as a
student, employee, or retiree, or even the independently wealth (there
are something like six million millionaire families in the USA alone,
probably more). But not everyone falls into one of those categories. And
then, you must also face trying to run a business in the face of such
people doing things as a hobby or labor of love. It's not always easy to
decide what makes sense to do commercially in the exchange economy in
relation to open manufacturing, given all that. Still, I'm glad to see
so many people, more and more, trying so hard to figure something out to
get us from where we are now to some future that we think will be better
in some essential ways.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
====
The biggest challenge of the 21st century is the irony of technologies
of abundance in the hands of those thinking in terms of scarcity.

Giovanni Lostumbo

Apr 21, 2011, 8:22:05 AM4/21/11
to Open Manufacturing
If the protocols are detailed enough, the the customer can build it
themselves and expect similar results.

Rob Myers

Apr 21, 2011, 6:07:15 AM4/21/11
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com

Franchises have long addressed this. Open Logistics can learn from them
and from free software/free culture projects and from other systems such
as review and search websites.

- Rob.

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Apr 21, 2011, 6:41:12 PM4/21/11
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, multitud...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Leo for your efforts looking into our DN model. SENSORICA is also a pilot project for the DN-type open enterprise, and the DN model is now constantly changing, as we adapt to reality. You can follow the development here http://discoverynetwork-tibi.blogspot.com/  and take part in the design process.
I also want to thank you for the constructive criticism you provided, much appreciated.

"_I_ wouldn't adopt them exactly as is."
If you generate new versions of the DN model please let us know, We want to document it all in one place.

...this isn't something that OSE would benefit from (for the clearly forseeable future)....
I decided to reply to Marcin's post because I thought the DN can apply. Building the toolkit and doing agriculture requires very different sets of skills. A DN-like structure could allow farmers, mechanical engineer and electrical engineers to work together collaboratively and exchange the value they create (division of labor within an open and decentralized environment). The Value Exchange Mechanism we already proposed deals more with tangible value, i.e. the market value of a product which is monetized, but we are now working on a better scheme which would also include non-tangible value, a (multi-) value accounting system + free value distribution/flow. We collaborate with Pietrust on that.

One big problem ... the reward sharing model. ... a lot of work up front to asses a Value Proposition, for both the DN participants and the proposer.
I agree. We are working on some tools to reduce that load. We collaborate with Pietrust on that.

A specific problem is with the proposed deadlock mechanism. I gives dangerously unfair weight to the minor participants.
This is a very interesting point you are making! We bet on self organization. We think we'll be able to catalyze that by mapping and by making very clear 1) the sources of value (motivation), 2) the value flow system (how to get to rewards), 3) members' reputation, and 4) members' roles (there might be others...). These 4, and perhaps others, define the set of positive incentives and inform every member about how to act. A power struggle well perceived as leading to no value will not happen, in our opinion. Moreover, let's not forget that % of the pie is not everything, the size of the pie is also changing in size!

Marcus, we believe that with SENSORICA, our pilot DN, we figured out a way to circumvent the problem you are referring to:
"How would you ever promise a customer some thing with a consistent quality at a given time"
Some parts of our product(s) will be 3D printed, locally, by the customer, from our plans - casings, body, etc. We design with 3D printing in mind! The rest of the product will be manufactured by licensed manufacturers members of SENSORICA. These manufacturers will insure the quality and guaranty. Their incentive is to access a continuous stream of rapid innovation. Instead of building verticals and increasing redundancy, we utilize unused manufacturing capacity.