technophobic left

Michel Bauwens

Sep 11, 2010, 12:52:42 PM9/11/10
to Open Manufacturing

I can only confirm your remark about the technophobia of some sectors of the left, though it has much improved nevertheless ..
    Kevin Carson <free.market.a...@gmail.com> Sep 10 01:06PM -0500 ^

    > re your paragraph below, this is of course also the remit and aim of the p2p
    > foundation,

    > if we can help your endeavours in any way ...

    Thanks much, Michel. A big part of my effort, though, is just
    promoting the ideas I pick up here and on P2P Research, and
    circulating them among conventional libertarians and members of the
    conventional "progressive" Left who might never have heard of them.
    Most of what I do is just synthesizing and promoting ideas I get from
    other people--and this is where I get them.

    It's amazing how much of the conventional Left is technophobic, and
    fails to see technology's liberatory potential from corporate
    authoritarianism. I just read Reason's interview with Steward Brand,
    where he recounted his role forty years ago in promoting technology
    among the counterculture as a force for liberation and the DIY ethos,
    where it was previously seen mainly as a force for control.

    --
    Kevin Carson
    Center for a Stateless Society http://c4ss.org