RE:The Skills of Xanadu online at Google Books?

1 view

Eric Hunting

Mar 30, 2009, 8:35:36 PM3/30/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
This was great. I hadn't heard of this short story before. Very much
like a conversation between the Industrial Age and the Post-Industrial
Age set in a nondescript science fiction setting that today you could
re-imagine in contemporary contexts concerning nanotechnology. What I
found particularly interesting was the blindness that comes with
hubris and how the inhabitants of Xanadu exploit that in their agenda
of casual conquest. They literary conquer the universe in exactly the
same way they do everything in their culture; effortless but
purposeful play. They're like Taoist engineers. The character Bril
could be any contemporary CEO confronted with some Post-Industrial
colony somewhere, so stuck thinking about the commercial potential of
these strange new technologies and ideas that he never notices their
Trojan Horse potential to obsolesce his entire weltanschauung.

Eric Hunting
erich...@gmail.com