100kGarages is Open: A Place to Get Stuff Made

Ted Hall, ShopBot

Sep 15, 2009, 9:15:00 AM9/15/09
to Open Manufacturing
The initial features of "100kGarages" are now functional (www.
100kGarages.com). 100kGarages.com is a place for anyone who wants to
get something made ("Makers") to link up with those having tools for
digital fabrication ("Fabbers") used to make parts or projects. The
community resource is a joint project of ShopBot and Ponoko. At the
moment, the structure is in place to for Makers to find Fabbers and to
post jobs to the Fabber community. The first levels of support by way
of forum and blogs are also up. We're working hard to provide software
and training resources to help those who want to design for Fabbers,
whether doing their own one-off projects or to use the network of
Fabbers for distributed manufacturing of products (as done by the
current gallery of designers on the Ponoko site).

The current offerings are sparse, but those here should have an idea
of how we hope this resource may evolve. It's all very open-ended
(unregulated?, chaotic?) at this point and much will depend on how
initial transactions in the system work out. We've a lot planned,
including bringing more tools and resources to the site. For example,
Ponoko is developing another level of simplified-transaction
production similar to what they are doing with laser-cutters and 2D
outlines on their own site (see www.ponoko.com). We're struggling to
give this new simple system enough 3D to make it useful, without
making it difficult for beginners.

In the first few weeks there have been about 40 Fabbers who've joined
up. In the beginning, we are sticking to Fabbers who are ShopBotters.
This makes it possible to have some confidence in the credibilty and
capability of the Fabber, without wasting enormous efforts on
certification (more on why - www.100kgarages.com/digital_fabrication.html).
But before long, we expect to open up 100kGarages.com to all digital
fabrication tools, whether additive or subtractive. We're hoping to
grow to a couple of hundred Fabbers over the next few months, and this
should provide a geographical distribution that brings fabrication
capabilities pretty close to everyone and helps get the system
energized.

We're hoping late this fall to organize a local, community-oriented,
PR effort with 100kGarages everywhere cutting parts for one of our,
favorite, open source products, LinkerLogs, for local schools and day-
care centers (see www.LinkerLogs.org).

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools

Smári McCarthy

Sep 15, 2009, 9:28:41 AM9/15/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com

Ted Hall

Sep 15, 2009, 10:04:06 AM9/15/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
2009/9/15 Smári McCarthy <sm...@anarchism.is>
This is great!

Is there any way available to access the raw datasets which say where
the 'garages' are? It would be great to be able to access a XMLRPC or
JSON service for getting locations.

Not sure I get the technical implications of the question, but the full list of locations as we have them are in the page:  http://www.100kgarages.com/fabbers

We only do town-level locations of the Fabbers, not specific locations of the shops. This is part of the open-endedness of the system. Participants have different contact preferences as you will see by going to their individual websites. Some give exact locations of their shops, others want an email contact to arrange a job or visit. Some would be happy to have all their information broadcast, others want just to operate within the 100kGarages context. We try to roll with everyone's preferences. Thus while promoting 100kGarages broadly as an access point for digital fabbing, the idea would not be to expose individuals per se in a way they were not intending by their participation.

-Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools