EMC now supports arbitrary serial kinematics (fwd)

ben lipkowitz

Aug 23, 2009, 4:52:24 AM8/23/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
EMC (the enhanced machine controller) is open source software for doing
realtime control of machine tools such as milling machines and lathes.

The ability to control a robot has long been possible, but you had to
write (or adapt) and compile a custom kinematics module, and recompile it
every time you added a new moving part, like a rotary table for example.

With this latest bit of code you can now load arbitrary assemblies of
linear and rotary motion components, and modify their parameters on the
fly.

If you passed up EMC earlier because it was "just for machine tools", now
might be a good time to look into it again.

-fenn