[Open Manufacturing] Fab Lab, TechShop, eMachineShop inventory showdown

Bryan Bishop

Jan 14, 2009, 11:37:16 AM1/14/09
to openmanufacturing, kan...@gmail.com
Hi all,

I've made a simple copy-and-paste inventory comparison of the various
shops. eMachineShop hardly deserves to be in the same category as
techshop, and techshop hardly that of fablabs, although without them
the comparison is meaningless. It's my understanding that both
TechShop and the FabLab inventory list reference the same ShopBuddy
and the same epilog laser, so the difference is all in the branding
(and culture developing around the shops).

http://heybryan.org/~bbishop/docs/comparison.html

That comparison page could be improved, maybe if it was made a grid or
matrix instead of a three columns with a scattered list, to see which
one has more capabilities (even though this hardly addresses the
capability that each tool provides to the shop). Still wondering which
one will be first to make its own tools from open source hardware
schematics.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Michel Bauwens

Jan 21, 2009, 10:48:55 PM1/21/09
to Open Manufacturing
Hi Bryan,

if you ever had time for this, or know someone who would, I would
appreciate publishing an article on the blog that summarizes the
development of such making places, in the US and the world (including
australia mensheds)

a short overview of the trend, with the basic links, and how they
differ or not from each other,

Michel