MechMate - open source CNC routing table

Chris Watkins

Dec 10, 2008, 8:05:39 PM12/10/08
to Open Manufacturing
Might be of interest to open design folks - I got this message to the @appropedia account on  Twitter:

open source CNC routing table!! http://www.mechmate.com

--
Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es

Bryan Bishop

Dec 10, 2008, 8:16:31 PM12/10/08
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Chris Watkins wrote:
> open source CNC routing table!! http://www.mechmate.com

Woah, registering was annoying.

http://heybryan.org/books/Manufacturing/mechmate.zip

Why are these in PDFs? Sigh. Better than nothing I guess. I'll maybe
have some time tomorrow to draw them up in to some real CAD formats.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Vitaly Mankevich

Dec 10, 2008, 8:29:03 PM12/10/08
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
> open source CNC routing table!! http://www.mechmate.com

Not quite open source:
"The drawings used for producing our in-house MechMate CNC routers are
published on this site, for free. The plans and information from this
site can be used by small companies and persons to build "once-off"
machines which may not be sold for profit."

Bryan Bishop

Dec 11, 2008, 6:50:54 PM12/11/08
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Chris Watkins wrote:
>> open source CNC routing table!! http://www.mechmate.com
>
> http://heybryan.org/books/Manufacturing/mechmate.zip

I looked over these in more detail today and attempted to start
modeling them in SolidWorks or ProE. However, I'm not entirely
fimiliar with these styles of schematics. I was literally staring at
them for 30 minutes. I just don't get it at the moment.

I've been working mostly with schematics that give 3-views, but in
these PDFs it's hard to distinguish when an object is completely
defined by a single view. I was wondering if anybody might be willing
to help go through the PDFs and do some running commentary on the
schematics, and then I can more readily model these up.

Most of my schematic reading training has come from reading books by
James H. Earle.