3-D printing hits rock-bottom prices with homemade ceramics mix

Jeff Davis

Apr 1, 2009, 7:16:59 PM4/1/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
This seems right up youse guys' alley. Thought I'd send it along.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-03/uow-3ph033109.php

Generally ceramics make good refractory materials. This seems
promising to me. Also, it occurs to me that if you want to make an
item in a material other than what's currently available for muse in
the 3D printers, well,.. you us the 3D printer to make a mold.

Well, duh.

Okay, so I'm a little behind the curve re this technology. Somebody
throw me a link so I can catch up.

Best, Jeff Davis

"Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
Ray Charles

Bryan Bishop

Apr 1, 2009, 7:27:50 PM4/1/09
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com, diy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Jeff Davis <jrd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-03/uow-3ph033109.php

"""
recipes

PVA Printing Slip

Xtra-White, Redart TerraCotta or Stoneware Buff Slip . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . .

62.50 %
Sugar (extra fine) . . . . . . . . 31.25
PVA (PolyVinyl Alcohol) . . . 6.25
100.00 %

MaltoDextrin Printing Slip

Xtra-White, Redart TerraCotta or Stoneware Buff Slip .. 66.66 %
Sugar (extra fine) . . . . . . . . 16.67
MaltoDextrin . . . . . . . . . . . . 16.67
100.00 %

The PVA Printing Slip mixture produced quite acceptable results (with
all slips) but the PVA is a little more costly when compared to
MaltoDextrin (which is available at the grocery store under the brand
name Benefiber). The MaltoDextrin Printing Slip was also stronger in
greenware form.

A solution of 16–18% ethanol (by volume) in water with a bit of food
coloring works nicely as a binder. The food coloring lets you see if
the fluid is deposited properly, and it burns out during firing. Our
ethanol-water solution is vodka based (denatured alcohol tended to
clog the printhead), so don’t tell your graduate students how it’s
made.
"""

http://www.ceramicartsdaily.org/magazines/Ceramics%20Monthly/2009febprintedpotfeature.aspx