The Technological Singularity & Open Manufacturing?

Nathan W. Cravens

Sep 17, 2008, 3:11:55 AM9/17/08
to Open Manufacturing
To me the Singularitarians are loaded to the brim will proprietary
agency, and "the man," written all over them, but I am very attracted
by the conception that anything can be made in one place. So there's
your poor man's definition of the Singularity when you describe it to
the average Industrialist rental.

I'm thinking of attending this great conference to end all
conferences, the one that can be only one, as you may well have
noticed by its use of the word "single," The Singularity Summit.

Okay, so with exceptional sobrietute, who is attending The Singularity
Summit? If you are a student, you get the jab half off! There's the
encouragement, sucker. If a numeral greater than zero plans to attend,
my decision to participate will also follow in that direction.
Exploitation seems less violent when its done collectively.

There are two presenters that top my list to explore world views with:
Marshall Brain and James Miller.

Because we all plan to save the world from itself without wanting
finance or capital in return, does anyone know how we can all attend
at no charge? Bryan, start manufacturing souls to sell!

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Bruce Klein <br...@novamente.net>
wrote:

My fellow Singularitarians,

Registration is open for this yr's Summit -- limit 500.

Join us: www.singularitysummit.com

NEWS: Singularity Summit 2008: Opportunity, Risk, Leadership takes
place October 25 at the intimate Montgomery Theater in San Jose, CA,
the Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence announced today.
Now in its third year, the Singularity Summit gathers the smartest
people around to explore the biggest idea of our time: the
Singularity.

Keynotes will include Ray Kurzweil, updating his predictions in The
Singularity is Near, and Intel CTO Justin Rattner, who will examine
the Singularity's plausibility. At the Intel Developer Forum on August
21, 2008, he explained why he thinks the gap between humans and
machines will close by 2050. "Rather than look back, we're going to
look forward 40 years," said Rattner. "It's in that future where many
people think that machine intelligence will surpass human
intelligence."

"The acceleration of technological progress has been the central
feature of this century," said computer scientist Dr. Vernor Vinge in
a seminal paper in 1993. "We are on the edge of change comparable to
the rise of human life on Earth. The precise cause of this change is
the imminent creation by technology of entities with greater than
human intelligence."

Singularity Summit 2008 will feature an impressive lineup:

* Dr. Ruzena Bajcsy, pioneering AI and robotics researcher
* Dr. Eric Baum, AI researcher, author of What is Thought?
* Marshall Brain, founder of HowStuffWorks.com, author of Robotic
Nation
* Dr. Cynthia Breazeal, robotics professor at MIT, creator of Kismet
* Dr. Peter Diamandis, chair and CEO of X PRIZE Foundation
* Esther Dyson, entrepreneur, investor, philanthropist
* Dr. Pete Estep, chair and CSO of Innerspace Foundation
* Dr. Neil Gershenfeld, director of MIT Center for Bits and Atoms,
author of Fab
* Dr. Ben Goertzel, CEO of Novamente, director of research at SIAI
* John Horgan, science journalist, author of The Undiscovered Mind
* Ray Kurzweil, CEO of Kurzweil Technologies, author of The
Singularity is Near
* Dr. James Miller, author of forthcoming book on Singularity
economics
* Dr. Marvin Minsky, one of AI's founding fathers, author of The
Emotion Machine
* Dr. Dharmendra Modha, cognitive computing lead at IBM Almaden
Research Center
* Bob Pisani, news correspondent for financial news network CNBC
* Justin Rattner, VP and CTO of Intel Corporation
* Nova Spivack, CEO of Radar Networks, creator of Twine semantic-web
application
* Peter Thiel, president of Clarium, managing partner of Founders Fund
* Dr. Vernor Vinge, author of original paper on the technological
Singularity
* Eliezer Yudkowsky, research fellow at SIAI, author of Creating
Friendly AI
* Glenn Zorpette, executive editor of IEEE Spectrum

Registration details are available at http://www.singularitysummit.com/registration/.

About the Singularity Summit

Each year, the Singularity Summit attracts a unique audience to the
Bay Area, with visionaries from business, science, technology,
philanthropy, the arts, and more. Participants learn where humanity is
headed, meet the people leading the way, and leave inspired to create
a better world. "The Singularity Summit is the premier conference on
the Singularity," Kurzweil said. "As we get closer to the Singularity,
each year's conference is better than the last."

The Summit was founded in 2006 by long-term philanthropy executive
Tyler Emerson, inventor Ray Kurzweil, and investor Peter Thiel. Its
purpose is to bring together and build a visionary community to
further dialogue and action on complex, long-term issues that may
transform the world. Its host organization is Singularity Institute
for Artificial Intelligence, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
studying the benefits and risks of advanced artificial intelligence
systems.

Singularity Summit 2008 partners include Clarium Capital, Cartmell
Holdings, Twine, Powerset, United Therapeutics, KurzweilAI.net, IEEE
Spectrum, DFJ, X PRIZE Foundation, Long Now Foundation, Foresight
Nanotech Institute, Novamente, SciVestor, Robotics Trends, and MINE.

Contacts

Singularity Summit
Tyler Emerson, 650-353-6063
Curator
eme...@singularitysummit.com

Bryan Bishop

Sep 17, 2008, 7:57:28 AM9/17/08
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday 17 September 2008, Nathan W. Cravens wrote:
> Because we all plan to save the world from itself without wanting
> finance or capital in return, does anyone know how we can all attend
> at no charge? Bryan, start manufacturing souls to sell!

Alas, I am broke. I know many of these people attending the Singularity
Summit with whom I might be able to steal a bed for that October
weekend, it's just getting up there and back down that I'm going to
have issues with. Also, what the hell's with the conference
registration prices?

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html