[Open Manufacturing] "Life Cycle Assessment" machine

Bryan Bishop

Jan 23, 2009, 10:50:43 PM1/23/09
to openmanufacturing, kan...@gmail.com
Hi all,

fenn pointed me to a comic the other day, and since he hasn't posted
it, I figured I would-
http://www.worldchanging.com/EarthlyIdeasLCA.jpg

In the last pane, it's about "choosing between products", meanwhile I
suspect that's only a passing understanding of the possibilities of
that framework. I wonder why the "green movement"- starting back with
environmentalist groups- haven't embraced something like this as a
tool to spread. During the Whole Earth Magazine days, this was
somewhat one of the goals or themes, but it wasn't ever codified, and
then it stopped existing and such.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

ben lipkowitz

Jan 24, 2009, 2:01:57 AM1/24/09
to openmanufacturing
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Bryan Bishop wrote:

> fenn pointed me to a comic the other day, and since he hasn't posted
> it, I figured I would-
> http://www.worldchanging.com/EarthlyIdeasLCA.jpg
>
> In the last pane, it's about "choosing between products", meanwhile I
> suspect that's only a passing understanding of the possibilities of
> that framework. I wonder why the "green movement"- starting back with
> environmentalist groups- haven't embraced something like this as a
> tool to spread.

Probably because the majority of funding for "green movement" hype comes
from companies milking ridiculous law-byproducts like carbon credits,
"fuel efficient" car credits, and organic-in-name-only food labels. The
less information consumers have, the better for these companies.
Meanwhile, the average consumer doesn't know about or understand why
quantitative information is important; thus you see things like "zero fat"
and "made with REAL butter" on the same microwave popcorn package. So,
there isn't much demand for real information, just at-a-glance "greenness"
ratings, which end up not meaning anything in the end.

see also
http://everything2.com/e2node/Specmanship