Open Like V2 with XAuth and Support for Verticals at TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon

Alex Iskold

May 23, 2010, 11:19:50 AM5/23/10
to OpenLike
Hey all,

A couple of engineers from GetGlue.com spent the night hacking Open
Like V2 and will be demoing it shortly at disrupt conference in NYC.
It is based on what we've been discussing here - support for XAuth as
well as specific types of content.

1. Leverage XAuth and also let the user customize which buttons show
up.

2. Enable different buttons on different type of content ( news,
movies, books, music, etc. ) by leveraging Facebook Open Graph
Protocol.

Examples of how it works:

On Huffington Post

Alice might see: Like on: Facebook | Digg | Google Buzz
Bob might see: Like on: Twitter | StumbleUpon

On IMDB

Alice might see: Like on: Facebook | Netflix | GetGlue
Bob might see: Like on: Twitter | Blockbuster | Hunch

Pictures:

News Default: http://grab.by/4wM8
Edit: http://grab.by/4wMa
Edited: http://grab.by/4wMb
The same button on another news site: http://grab.by/4wMe
Buttons on movie site: http://grab.by/4wMf

Basic flow:

The user sees default buttons on each vertical. The defaults are based
on XAuth - services that you use are there automatically. The user is
also able to manually edit which buttons would appear for each type of
content. Once edited, the choices persist across different web sites.
This is done using iframe and local storage.

The widget can optionally leverage Facebook Open Graph markup to
determine the type of content on the page Or the publisher can specify
it manually.

New API looks like this <script type="text/
javascript">OPENLIKE.Widget( vertical )</script>
where vertical defaults to News.

What we need help with:

- A round table that this is directionally correct
- Feedback/QA on implementation once we upload it
- Suggestions for buttons for each vertical

Thanks in advance for all your help and feedback!

Alex

Lukas Rosenstock

May 23, 2010, 11:33:48 AM5/23/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thumbs up for the proposal!
There should also be an open way to add further buttons (by service or end user) without OpenLike having to consider and activate them in the widget, e.g. through a configuration file (XRD anyone?!).

Lukas

Will Meyer

May 23, 2010, 9:25:32 PM5/23/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
> There should also be an open way to add further buttons (by service or end
> user) without OpenLike having to consider and activate them in the widget,
> e.g. through a configuration file (XRD anyone?!).

OExchange defines the XRD-based service discovery model I think you're
suggesting: http://www.oexchange.org/spec/#discovery