Open Like V2 Prototype is ready

Alex Iskold

May 27, 2010, 4:12:38 PM5/27/10
to OpenLike
Hey all, please check out V2 here:

http://dev.adaptiveblue.com/openlike2.html

On the demo page, there are bookmarklet & instructions on how to
test this on a couple of web sites.

Recap of the update:

1. Adds personalization and support for different content types
2. Uses XAuth to figure out services user already uses
3. User can further manually select the services
4. Services persist across different web sites for given category
5. Prototype has support for News, Movies and Books

Benefits for the users: simple way to personalize you liking
experience around the web.

Benefits for the publishers: Offer simple way for users who are not
going to share
to Facebook to like their content. I believe publisher value prop is
very compelling here, particularly
the notion that having 20 buttons that user won't use makes no sense.

What we need to wrap up this release:

1. Community review & general feedback
2. Tighten up the look and feel so that it is more professional,
particularly the buttons & counts. The concern is that unless it looks
polished it won't uptake. ( see: http://grab.by/4BZL )
3. Wordsmith the language on the value proposition
4. Show more examples for different verticals, pick more verticals and
solidify available choices

What I suggest we consider for V3

1. Pluggable services via OExchange
2. Discuss the benefits of giving services an option to support
Facebook API. Specifically, instead of us having to support different
APIs explore people supporting addLike, with possibly extended
signature, and then services become automatically pluggable.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Alex

Nathan

May 27, 2010, 4:19:15 PM5/27/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
Alex Iskold wrote:
> Hey all, please check out V2 here:
>
> http://dev.adaptiveblue.com/openlike2.html
>
> 2. Tighten up the look and feel so that it is more professional,
> particularly the buttons & counts. The concern is that unless it looks
> polished it won't uptake. ( see: http://grab.by/4BZL )

Perhaps of use.. I went to implement openlike the other day and had to
give up, not because of how it looked, but because I couldn't /control
how it looked/ (and indeed where it was placed). Being able to skin and
position it would perhaps aid adoption :)

Best,

Nathan

nicluciano

May 27, 2010, 4:23:50 PM5/27/10
to OpenLike
Per your thoughts on v2, I think it looks and feels great. Better than
most sharing widgets I've seen, to be honest.

I think that one of the most valuable possibilities for the (not-so-
near) future is when services hopefully begin using xauth to implement
platform-level calls.

nicluciano

May 27, 2010, 4:25:19 PM5/27/10
to OpenLike
Thanks Nathan, could you clarify? What parts specifically are you
looking to control?

beriberikix

May 27, 2010, 4:28:13 PM5/27/10
to OpenLike
How about adding additional services? MySpace has both a bookmarklet &
standard JS implementation: http://www.myspace.com/share &
http://wiki.developer.myspace.com/index.php?title=How_to_Add_Share_on_MySpace_to_Your_Site

Great progress!

Eran

May 27, 2010, 5:21:45 PM5/27/10
to OpenLike
Alex, this is really cool progress.
Couple of questions/comments:

1. What do you see as the path to add additional verticals/schemas,
and to enable publishers to associate their content as semantic
'things'? I understand the bookmarklet does that manually for the 4
sites, as an example, but how do you envision that will happen in
reality? If we'll find a way to have the widget identify the vertical,
as well as the particular semantics associated with the page on which
it sits, that will a. Dumb it down for publishers at large, and b. be
an advantageous value prop compared to FB's like which still requires
the publisher to add all of those og: meta tags to all of their pages.

2. On the same note, we might want to parse the OpenGraph meta tags
that publishers are already putting and use them to provide semantic
data for the other sharing services where it's contextually relevant.
Obviously when twitter release their annotations api, we can add rich
semantics through annotations.
3. Perhaps we should consider an open repository of 'things'? Keyed by
the url, with extensible schema that anyone can drop data into? I know
you guys have something like that for your purposes, as are we for our
purposes and I'm sure many others. Perhaps it's time to push for an
open repository (sort of the opposite of freebase)?

Great work,
Eran

Nic Luciano

May 27, 2010, 5:40:48 PM5/27/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
hey Eran-

This iteration actually does support Open Graph protocol for both title and type. So if no category is passed in explicitly by the publisher, we will parse Open Graph meta. If all fails there is a set of defaults it falls back on. I hope this answers your first two questions.

Eran

May 27, 2010, 5:59:43 PM5/27/10
to OpenLike
That's cool, I should've guessed you'll pick up that low hanging
fruit :)
That said, I imagine still the vast majority of sites won't have
either OG tags embedded or be capable adding RDFa or other readable
descriptions to their pages. I've seen it in the past with
searchmonkey, and there publishers had a more immediate incentive (SEO
rank). So I would still like to see the widget carrying all of the
'smarts' about identifying what objects are actually on the page in
order to highlight the contextual share services and transfer to them
the actual objects, on top of the url (as you do with imdb and
blockbuster for example).
Also, since FB has such tremendous power, for openlike to be massively
adopted, it needs as many distinct value props as possible. I think
creating a sharing widget that understand the context without the
publisher having to do the heavy lifting is one such important value
prop. I imagine a quick solution will be for it to utilize your
(glue's) API. Is that something you plan on adding?

Anyway, my 2c, great work, man.

Rabbit

May 27, 2010, 7:42:27 PM5/27/10
to open...@googlegroups.com

On May 27, 2010, at 4:12 PM, Alex Iskold wrote:

Recap of the update:

Nice work.

What I suggest we consider for V3

1. Pluggable services via OExchange
2. Discuss the benefits of giving services an option to support
Facebook API. Specifically, instead of us having to support different
APIs explore people supporting addLike, with possibly extended
signature, and then services become automatically pluggable.

+1 overall direction

I've been away from this list so forgive me if this exists and I'm sure you're also putting this together but it would also be good to see progress on the "open" front which is more meta to the community (ie: a wiki with info about how the spec can be changed, code can be contributed, a head count of who's involved, how do services like AddThis, Digg, etc. get involved, etc., etc)

Great work overall.

=Rabbit

Jorge

Jun 11, 2010, 12:32:14 PM6/11/10
to OpenLike
Hi. I think it could be better to replace the word "Edit" by
"Customize".