Carl Kenner banned

Joshua Blake

Dec 8, 2010, 10:38:48 PM12/8/10
to OpenKinect
Carl Kenner was banned from the OpenKinect group for his previous posting. He was warned before about his posting his political and racist views. I have also removed his post (and Nink's reply since it quoted) from the online archive.

I apologize if anyone was offended by this individual.

Thanks,
Josh

---
Joshua Blake
Microsoft Surface MVP
OpenKinect Community Founder http://openkinect.org

(cell) 703-946-7176
Twitter: http://twitter.com/joshblake
Blog: http://nui.joshland.org
Multitouch on Windows book: http://manning.com/blake

jonas Biensack

Dec 9, 2010, 2:20:19 AM12/9/10
to OpenKinect
Good work!

On 9 Dez., 04:38, Joshua Blake <joshbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carl Kenner was banned from the OpenKinect group for his previous
> posting. He was warned before about his posting his political and racist
> views. I have also removed his post (and Nink's reply since it quoted) from
> the online archive.
>
> I apologize if anyone was offended by this individual.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
>
> ---
> Joshua Blake
> Microsoft Surface MVP
> OpenKinect Community Founderhttp://openkinect.org

Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar

Dec 9, 2010, 4:10:03 AM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Joshua Blake <josh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carl Kenner was banned from the OpenKinect group for his previous
> posting. He was warned before about his posting his political and racist
> views. I have also removed his post (and Nink's reply since it quoted) from
> the online archive.
>
> I apologize if anyone was offended by this individual.

I think banning people is a decision which should be taken by more
than just one person.
Robot spam can be removed directly but I don't think this is
appropriate for humans.

He may don't know a good way to express his opinions, but software
licenses can contain "no military use":
http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/56426
And he may wanted to warns about this.

Banning won't make him change his ideas, but a discussion can.

Simon Biggs

Dec 9, 2010, 4:14:57 AM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
I agree with mohammed. I would not want to work with or contribute to the development of any system that might be used for military or police activities nor engage with regimes pursuing intrrnationally recognised illegal aims. Best. Simon

Sent from my phone

Simon

Simon Biggs
www.littlepig.org.uk

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC009201

David Hubbard

Dec 9, 2010, 12:13:04 PM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammed,

I also agree with you. But how exactly? Vote the "off the island?"

In this case, Joshua Blake and Nink makes "more than just one person." Just sayin...

So what do you think of voting? Since Joshua Blake owns the list, it's really up to him.

Here's how I would do a ban vote:

If I'm being a nuisance and someone wants me banned, they have to get Joshua to agree that there's a good reason. Then he sets up a vote. If during the voting period, there are two people who speak in my favor, I'm not banned.

(That way, those who want me banned don't have to do anything beyond get Joshua to agree. And it doesn't discriminate against a minority -- it just discriminates against the lone troll.)

Just an idea...

Thanks,
David

Nink

Dec 9, 2010, 12:47:13 PM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest immediate suspension to stop further comments and review as a team.

In terms of a "vote" minority groups are not adequatly represented by a vote. Example the question for vote is "who should have more rights men or woman in this group?". The 3 woman will vote woman the 1272 men will vote men.

The current situation at the moment under review was the second occurrence, the previous issue was centred around religious persecution. The issue arose when a members signature pointed to the fact they worked for a religious organization. Carl had expressed his concerns with this particular religion. This resulted in several calls for a ban and the final decision was a warning.

I am sure we all have personal, political, gender, race or religious differences and that's the joy of being part of a global diverse team. We can put these all aside and suddenly we discover everyone has a lot to bring to this initiative irrespective of our political opinions, country of residence, gender or gender preference, religious affiliation, race or other difference that are often used to form the bases of discrimination.

Humanity takes a step forward and we get some amaizing NI technology.

Sent from my BlackBerry

From: David Hubbard <david.c...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:13:04 -0700
Subject: Re: [OpenKinect] Carl Kenner banned

Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar

Dec 9, 2010, 12:49:18 PM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what you want to say in your last message David.
But if someone is making trouble, there are better ways to deal with
him other than banning.
I don't think that you toss your brother in the sea when he become a
nuisance, better learn him that what he is doing is wrong.

Jason

Dec 9, 2010, 12:51:25 PM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com, Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar
On 12/09/2010 04:10 AM, Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Joshua Blake <josh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Carl Kenner was banned from the OpenKinect group for his previous
>> posting. He was warned before about his posting his political and racist
>> views. I have also removed his post (and Nink's reply since it quoted) from
>> the online archive.

How about my inbox?

>> I apologize if anyone was offended by this individual.

If you don't appreciate the fact that people are different and have
different views (especially those you vehemently disagree with), then
get off the net and live in a cave.

Mailinglists have been around _long_ before forums, or even the web.
"Don't feed the troll" has been the best solution to arise out of that
vibrant ecosystem. "Banning" smacks of bureaucratic bullying at best,
draconian intolerance at worst.

> Banning won't make him change his ideas, but a discussion can.

Which, while correct, would be off-topic here. I've said my piece.
Censorship sucks.

jm2c,

Jason.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it."
-Evelyn Beatrice Hall on Voltaire

David Hubbard

Dec 9, 2010, 1:01:30 PM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammed,

Now that I've read some more responses, I've changed my mind. Thanks
for pointing that out - I wouldn't throw a brother into the sea. I
agree.

"Don't feed the troll," Jason says.

I think we shouldn't ban anyone. If their message is off topic or
offends me, I'll ignore it.

Thanks,
David

drew.m...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2010, 1:33:56 PM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Jason <openk...@lakedaemon.net> wrote:
> On 12/09/2010 04:10 AM, Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Joshua Blake <josh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Carl Kenner was banned from the OpenKinect group for his previous
>>> posting. He was warned before about his posting his political and racist
>>> views. I have also removed his post (and Nink's reply since it quoted) from
>>> the online archive.
>>>

> If you don't appreciate the fact that people are different and have
> different views (especially those you vehemently disagree with), then
> get off the net and live in a cave.

He is welcome to express them rationally and cogently, which he chose not to do.

> Mailinglists have been around _long_ before forums, or even the web.
> "Don't feed the troll"  has been the best solution to arise out of that
> vibrant ecosystem.  "Banning" smacks of bureaucratic bullying at best,
> draconian intolerance at worst.

Again: warning was given. He was welcome to choose to express his
views in an appeal to reason or in another forum. Hijacking other
discussion threads is not an appropriate way to discuss your topic of
interest.

>> Banning won't make him change his ideas, but a discussion can.
>>

> Which, while correct, would be off-topic here.  I've said my piece.
> Censorship sucks.

So does having valuable contributors avoid or leave your community
because they find it hostile. There are two sides to that coin, and
this applies to demographics beyond race - read [1]. It's not just a
matter of "don't feed the trolls" - just having the trolls around
hurts the community.

Rational, productive disagreement is valuable, and should be
encouraged. The postings in question were condescending, racially
charged, avoided logic, and were hostile. Maybe a straight-up ban was
too much here, but I'm unconvinced.

-Drew (zarvox)

[1] http://eaves.ca/2009/07/20/women-in-open-source-the-canary-in-the-coal-mine/

Simon Biggs

Dec 9, 2010, 1:53:20 PM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
There was no mention of religion or ethnicity in the offending post - only
of a state and its political and military policies. Criticising a state or
its activities does not represent racial discrimination.

It is wise to avoid conflating a state with racial identity. Any state that
defines itself through religious or ethnic identity will, by definition,
exclude others from being members of the state. That is discrimination. In
most countries that is illegal.

I didn't actually find the original post offensive. It simply described the
relationships between certain individuals involved in the development of the
Kinect and a state apparatus that many (myself included) find disturbing.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs
s.b...@eca.ac.uk si...@littlepig.org.uk
Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Research Professor edinburgh college of art
http://www.eca.ac.uk/
Creative Interdisciplinary Research in CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/
Centre for Film, Performance and Media Arts
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/film-performance-media-arts

> From: Nink <nin...@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:47:13 +0000
> To: <openk...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: Re: [OpenKinect] Carl Kenner banned
>

> I would suggest immediate suspension to stop further comments and review as a
> team.
>
> In terms of a "vote" minority groups are not adequatly represented by a vote.
> Example the question for vote is "who should have more rights men or woman in
> this group?". The 3 woman will vote woman the 1272 men will vote men.
>
> The current situation at the moment under review was the second occurrence,
> the previous issue was centred around religious persecution. The issue arose
> when a members signature pointed to the fact they worked for a religious
> organization. Carl had expressed his concerns with this particular religion.
> This resulted in several calls for a ban and the final decision was a warning.
>
> I am sure we all have personal, political, gender, race or religious
> differences and that's the joy of being part of a global diverse team. We can
> put these all aside and suddenly we discover everyone has a lot to bring to
> this initiative irrespective of our political opinions, country of residence,
> gender or gender preference, religious affiliation, race or other difference
> that are often used to form the bases of discrimination.
>
> Humanity takes a step forward and we get some amaizing NI technology.
>

> Sent from my BlackBerry

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC009201

Jeremiah Morrill

Dec 9, 2010, 2:51:49 PM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
"I realise I'm the only one here with both a brain and a conscience..." - Carl

I don't think insults spawn comradery.  I also don't believe (I could be wrong) membership to this list is a democracy.  If those who manage the list found his comments to be distracting, thats their judgement call.  If I don't like how those who manage the list are doing business, then I'll start my own.  So far I have appreciated the technical topics and level of respect everyone else has given each other and the level of moderation :)

-Jer
--
Microsoft MVP - Client Application Development
HJT, Inc Software Developer

Antonio Ospite

Dec 9, 2010, 2:57:33 PM12/9/10
to OpenKinect, Jason, Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar
On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 12:51:25 -0500
Jason <openk...@lakedaemon.net> wrote:

[...]

> >> I apologize if anyone was offended by this individual.
> >

> If you don't appreciate the fact that people are different and have
> different views (especially those you vehemently disagree with), then
> get off the net and live in a cave.
>
> Mailinglists have been around _long_ before forums, or even the web.
> "Don't feed the troll" has been the best solution to arise out of that
> vibrant ecosystem. "Banning" smacks of bureaucratic bullying at best,
> draconian intolerance at worst.

Jason, you saved me some typing. :)

Ciao,
Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite
http://ao2.it

PGP public key ID: 0x4553B001

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Dave Pentecost

Dec 9, 2010, 3:21:34 PM12/9/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com, Jason, Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar
My two cents, as they say:

Carl seemed to have no problem jumping into the technical discussion until he discovered PrimeSense was behind it all. Then he became the only one with a brain and conscience. He chose to insult everyone and made it clear he would not participate further.

Anyone with similar qualms to Carl's can make the same choice. It would be difficult to find a technology that is not used or originated in military and security research - gaming? simulation? sensing? imaging? - but we all resolve the contradictions in our own ways. I prefer not to help Microsoft, but here I am ;)

Banning was correct. It's a win win - Carl confirms his paranoia and moral superiority, the list continues with its work.

Dave

--
Director, Technology
Center for Community

@dpentecost
Cell 646 704 2021

jonas Biensack

Dec 10, 2010, 4:02:34 AM12/10/10
to OpenKinect
I agree with you Dave!

>It's not just a
matter of "don't feed the trolls" - just having the trolls around
hurts the community. <

I agree with you Drew!

there is a difference if somebody don't want to help some military (I
think they laugh about our work, when they look
at their own 3d scanners & software) or just denounce everybody who is
an a piecefull mailing list sharing their hobby
building crazy stuff with the kinect. Would you denounce Einstein as
the devil, because of he made the way free for
hiroshima?
No never.

If someone wants to help us! - You are welcome!
If someone wants to talk to us! - You are welcome!
If someone wants to denounce us! - You are not welcome - I am
married! :)

Let's have some fun!

greetz to the world

in peace jonas
> >   Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> --
> Director, Technology
> Center for Communityhttp://www.girlsclub.org/building
>
> Community Basehttp://c4c.posterous.com
> <http://c4c.posterous.com>
> @dpentecost
> Cell 646 704 2021- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
>
> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Nadeem Mazen

Dec 10, 2010, 4:17:12 AM12/10/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
This is a complicated issue - I admire the tenor and openness with which everyone is appreciating each others' views. Looks like a strong community in the making here.

Cheers,
Nadeem