3D "Depth Strobe" art -- Sculpting in 3D using multiple copies of my own body

Matt Bell

Dec 4, 2010, 6:46:35 PM12/4/10
to OpenKinect
I've created my first Kinect hacks and wanted to share.

I became intrigued with the possibility of sculpting in 3D using the
Kinect by periodically recording the nearest object to the camera in
each part of the image. By taking multiple 3D snapshots at different
times and then merging them to show the closest object, I can create a
3D sculpture that I can walk through.

Here I use a "depth strobe", where I grab snapshots 1-2x a second.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inim0xWiR0o

Here I take a single snapshot with some furniture and then remove it,
allowing me to wander through the ghost of the furniture:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abS7G5ZT17c

Here I update the 3D background continuously, creating a slur of
objects:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBLYsB9BBSk

Joshua Blake

Dec 4, 2010, 7:09:03 PM12/4/10
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

This is really cool and creative work!  Nice job.

Josh

Adam Ribaudo

Dec 5, 2010, 3:19:44 PM12/5/10
to OpenKinect
I'll second that. My favorite part was when the bean bag gave birth
to you.

a nomad.

Dec 8, 2010, 11:42:58 PM12/8/10
to OpenKinect

. matt,

. great stuff! very creative! i see a lot of potential w/the 'ghost
furniture'. let us know if/when you release the code. :)

-james