Connect Kinect to PC Using PrimeSense Drivers

sajjad taghvaee

Feb 9, 2011, 7:45:43 AM2/9/11
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I was confused with different instructions for connecting Kinect to PC. Actually I couldn't install OpenKinect drivers, but I come up with an instruction 4 Dummies! :D
I would be glad if somebody makes something like this for OpenKinect.

Sajjad

Step 1

Uninstall any previews drivers, such as CLNUI, OpenKinect,....
Uninstalling a driver does not seem to be easy esp in case of OpenKinect

Step 2

Download and install the latest stable or unstable OpenNI Binaries from OpenNI website.
There might be a security check message in this step and the next one. Don't care and continue installing.

Step 3

Download  Kinect Driver from the following link. The file name will be avin2-SensorKinect-0124bd2.zip.
Unzip the file and run  avin2-SensorKinect-0124bd2\Bin\SensorKinect-Win32-5.0.0.exe

Step 4
Restart

Step 5
Plug in Kinect. Wait till Windows finds and installs the drivers. Check if the camera and motor drivers are installed through Control Panel->System and..->System->Device Manager
Currently no driver for Audio available by Primesense, although there is one provided by OpenKinect.

Step6

Check OpenNI samples.  NiSimpleRead just reads the data for the center of view into a console window.  NiViewer gives you a color coded depth view what the Kinect is looking at.

Step 7
Download and install the latest stable or unstable OpenNI Compliant Middleware Binaries (NITE) from OpenNI website.

During installation, provide the following (free) PrimeSense key: 0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4=

Step 8

Restart.

Step 9

Replace xml files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Prime Sense\NITE\Data and   C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenNI\Data with the ones in
avin2-SensorKinect-0124bd2\NITE\Data and avin2-SensorKinect-0124bd2\OpenNI\Data

Step 10

Checkout the NITE samples and have fun!

Tomasz Rybak

Feb 17, 2011, 11:03:20 AM2/17/11
to openk...@googlegroups.com
Dnia 2011-02-09, śro o godzinie 21:45 +0900, sajjad taghvaee pisze:

> Step 5
> Plug in Kinect. Wait till Windows finds and installs the drivers. Check if
> the camera and motor drivers are installed through Control Panel->System
> and..->System->Device Manager
> Currently no driver for Audio available by Primesense, although there is one
> provided by OpenKinect.

Can you point to audio driver in OpenKinect source tree?
I could not find any details or description in OpenKinect.org wiki.

Best regards.

--
Tomasz Rybak <tomasz...@gmail.com>

drew.m...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2011, 2:08:40 PM2/17/11
to openk...@googlegroups.com

OP is mistaken; there's no audio driver in OpenKinect yet. We've yet
to reverse the whole protocol, although searching the mailinglist
reveals some discussion on parts of it.

-Drew

Leandroteleco

Feb 17, 2011, 4:43:57 PM2/17/11
to OpenKinect
Hi, the tittle of this post it's: Connect Kinect to PC Using
PrimeSense Drivers
but you seem to tell about the OpenKinect driver, sorry I'm confusing,
It's the OpenKinect driver the same that Freenect driver and the
PrimeSense driver?

Best regards.