Re: [JPP-Devel] OpenJUMP as an OSGEO project - second poll - results

Stefan Steiniger

Dec 10, 2008, 1:24:29 AM12/10/08
to OpenJump develop and use, openjum...@googlegroups.com
Ok...

as there have been no other votes this week I evaluated the votes.

The result is:

-1: not joining OSGEO: null
0: I don't know if we should join: 6
+1: we should join OSGEO: 3

so, it looks like we have "a" task for next year ;)

I hope to have some look on the open issues again over the hoilday
season to be able to propose a kind of schedule. Email reminders to me
on that task are welcome with the beginning of 2010. (its just that I
recently concentrate often on other things - i.e. my university work)

cheers from Calgary
Stefan

Stefan Steiniger schrieb:
> [...]
>> at the Ecos institute in Brazil
>>
>> c) enquiries can be send to myself off- or on-list
>>
>> Master of Ceremonies and JJP Co-project Lead ;)
>> Stefan Steiniger
>>

>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Betreff: [JPP-Devel] OpenJUMP as an OSGEO project - Assessing the
>> Requirements
>> Datum: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:15:58 -0600
>>
>> Dear OJ user/developer.
>>
>> I send this email to the devel list, as here rather the core people are
>> listening and this is also a discussion list for us.
>>
>> Now, I have read all the docs required for an OSGEO incubation. I will
>> attach a rather lenghtly file where I added comments to the different
>> questions/criteria.
>>
>> A couple of things will require some work and mentorship but I think it
>> would be doable to join OSGEO, as the restrictions in terms of
>> managements seem not to be so tight (i.e. we are require to document the
>> managment processes, but it is actually not said what management rules
>> we should implement)
>>
>> Here is a list of the major things that need to be done (see also the
>> very end of the text file):

>> Summary - Major Issues with respect to human resources
>> required:
>> --------
>> . document (established) license policy
>> . code contributors need to agree to project's license policy (written
>> form?).
>> . do a Code Provenance Review - check of licenses in the source code
>> (Ohloh may help here) => problem: we probably can not "GPL" or "LGPL"
>> (i.e. relicense) source code that has been inherited from other
>> projects, without the author permission (such code needs to be
>> externalized into a library).
>> . found a Steering Comittee
>> . establish documentation on project management procedures for PSC
>> decisions, contributor guidelines, etc. (see Project Graduation
>> Checklist point B3)
>> . start documentation of project decisions
>> . define release rules and process (not sure if that is a requirement)
>> . provide marketing material (handout, feature-matrix)
>>
>> optional:
>> --------
>> . wiki + webpage transfer to OSGEO
>> . introduce automated testing system (junit)
>> . certification of standards?
>>
>> The only thing I am personally struggling is the definition of release
>> rules and a development plan if that is required (as this would play
>> against our "I contribute when I like" idea)
>>
>> I am awaiting your coments and a OJ-Joins-OSEGEO decision (+1: yes, 0:
>> don't know, -1 too much work) from the regular contributors, i.e. at
>> least an oppinion from:
>> Larry, Michael, Peppe, Andreas, Paul, Landon, Martin.
>>
>> I also welcome oppinions from Jukka, Jon, Paolo, Eric, Geoff, Sascha,
>> Lat/Lon, Intevation, Erwan, Arnd, Edgar, Ugo + Steve (if listening
>> ;),... and who ever wants to
>>
>> my personal vote: 0 (influenced by the work that needs to be done,

Sunburned Surveyor

Dec 10, 2008, 10:20:25 AM12/10/08
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Stefan,

Thanks for your work in tallying the votes. Would you like me to speak
to the project incubation committee to let them know we are
interested?

SS

Stefan Steiniger

Dec 10, 2008, 1:20:31 PM12/10/08
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
yes

... should I send you the things that I prepared last time. I.e. the
answers to the questions on the "application" form?

Stefan

Sunburned Surveyor

Dec 10, 2008, 1:58:58 PM12/10/08
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Stefan,

That would be good. I already touched base with Frank Wammerdam, who
said he could answer any questions we might have. I'll go trough the
principles for OSGeo projects to see if I can come up with a task list
before we apply:

http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/principles.html

I'll try to do that this week, and will forward my proposed task list
to you and the rest of the mailing list.

SS

Giuseppe Aruta

Dec 12, 2008, 1:07:48 PM12/12/08
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

What OSGEO requires about documentation? These are my projects for the future about OpenJUMP docs
I am working around three basic documents, all connected to OpenJUMP 1.3 realize (when ready), these docs will be on PDF under GPL (I will ask SS who know better about licenses):

1) OpenJUMP User Manual, which follows all the docs I wrote in OpenJUMP wiki, about basic functionalities of OpenJUMP. It will be more detailed than the wiki, with more figures and samples. A part will be included on topological and gemetrical analysis

2) OpenJUMP Plugins Manual, Which details and describes all the plugin available. Informations on how to set up and use them. Something is in the wiki: the tutorial about Edgar's CTS plugin, for instance

3) OpenJUMP Develop Manual. It basically will describe how to set up Eclipse/Subeclipse, how to use them to download the source code of OpenJUMP. how to run OpenJUMP by Eclipse, and how to write a simple plugin (hello World!) using Ecipse

I plan to finish the first one on Genuary 2009 - more o less when OpenJUMP 1.3 will be ready - It will be of about 100 pages (around 2 Mb - a robust manual about OpenJUMP. Of coarse I am writing it in English so I would probabily ask somebody to correct it. Italian version will be available on the same time

The developing manual is on the road, too. Right now it is a simple note of what I learned about developing OpenJUMP. As simple as possible for who have never worked with Java. Landon was working on a similar document (how to make plugin), I will be glad if we join our jobs to have an organic manual

The second manual is still in my mind (and partially on the wiki).

There could be another 4th project, I started to work around, even to learn the argument: the translation of Uwe's manual about PostGIS and OpenJUMP. It would be very useful: I understood that there are more people interested on PostGIS on the user lists I joined (OpenJUP and Kosmo) in the last months.

I will appreciate an opinion about these projects

Regards

Peppe

Dec 12, 2008, 2:02:59 PM12/12/08
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peppe,

Excellent!
If the group agrees I volunteer to translate the OpenJump User Manual to
Portuguese from the English version as I believe OJ is being used by an
increasing number of Portuguese speaking people.
I *could* lend a hand on the interface but I'm afraid I don't know the 1st
thing about the internationalization procedure ...

Best regards,

Pedro Doria Meunier
GSM: +351961720188
Skype: pdoriam

signature.asc

Giuseppe Aruta

Dec 13, 2008, 7:02:11 AM12/13/08
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pedro,

thanks for your help. By the time I finish the English version I will send you (or put an OpenDOC version on the wiki) so you can translate in Portuguese.
There is an old JUMP 1.2 Manual in Portuguese by by Flavia Coelho Couto João Batista Brito and Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha (http://www.archive.org/download/OpenJUMP_Users_Guid_pt_br/ManualOpenJUMP.pdf) which probabily you know.

> I *could* lend a hand on the interface but I'm afraid I
> don't know the 1st
> thing about the internationalization procedure ...

This is more simple than it looks like! I wrote a small document about how to translate OpenJUMP into another language: http://openjump.org/wiki/show/How+to+translate+in+a+new+language.
It uses a java software (Babelfish) and the languages files inside OJ nightly build.

Remember that OpenJUMP must have some parts of the menu already traslated in Portuguese (version Brazillian).
Anyhow, if you want to complete the translation of Openjump to Portuguese, I will be glad to help you

Peppe

Dec 13, 2008, 6:52:00 PM12/13/08
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hei Peppe,

very good!
I think we need to put our efforts in the first hand on the User Doc.
Since I hope the developer documentation on the wiki is already a good
start for people which know. However, I agree that we need also a "real"
starter documentation for openjump.

Of course when it comes to corecting english and also if you need
somebody who has a look on the overall document structure - please tell
us/me.

What writing system are you using? I found Uwe's OOffice approach good,
but translation is a pain as things move around and maintaining all
links is hard too (that is why I droped most of the links in my
translation).
A good alternative is a doc-system like ELML (www.elml.ch) which allows
to have web pages and export to pdf and so on, as things are stored in
xml. I think we could here use also our svn/cvs repository to store and
change the documentation (each chapter would be a single file = i.e. a
elml unit). The only problem will be, that there are some things to
learn at the beginning - i.e. how to compile the docs and to learn the
language elements/tags (but the latter is easy). In the beginning they
(the ELML team) also used a proprietary xml-editor for eclipse. This may
not be necessary anymore as they developed the firedocs editor.
I know some of the people (they also got students from the Google summer
of code) and have worked 2 years ago with Elml to make an e-learning
lesson/introduction on location-based services (see engl. Wikipedia on
LBS). So I could help on introducing the system.

cheers,
Stefan

Giuseppe Aruta schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> What OSGEO requires about documentation? These are my projects for the future about OpenJUMP docs
> I am working around three basic documents, all connected to OpenJUMP 1.3 realize (when ready), these docs will be on PDF under GPL (I will ask SS who know better about licenses):
>
> 1) OpenJUMP User Manual, which follows all the docs I wrote in OpenJUMP wiki, about basic functionalities of OpenJUMP. It will be more detailed than the wiki, with more figures and samples. A part will be included on topological and gemetrical analysis
>
> 2) OpenJUMP Plugins Manual, Which details and describes all the plugin available. Informations on how to set up and use them. Something is in the wiki: the tutorial about Edgar's CTS plugin, for instance
>
> 3) OpenJUMP Develop Manual. It basically will describe how to set up Eclipse/Subeclipse, how to use them to download the source code of OpenJUMP. how to run OpenJUMP by Eclipse, and how to write a simple plugin (hello World!) using Ecipse
>
> I plan to finish the first one on Genuary 2009 - more o less when OpenJUMP 1.3 will be ready - It will be of about 100 pages (around 2 Mb - a robust manual about OpenJUMP. Of coarse I am writing it in English so I would probabily ask somebody to correct it. Italian version will be available on the same time
>
> The developing manual is on the road, too. Right now it is a simple note of what I learned about developing OpenJUMP. As simple as possible for who have never worked with Java. Landon was working on a similar document (how to make plugin), I will be glad if we join our jobs to have an organic manual
>
> The second manual is still in my mind (and partially on the wiki).
>

> There could be another 4th project, I started to work around, even to learn the argument: the translation of Uwe's manual about PostGIS and OpenJUMP. It would be very useful: I understood that there are more people interested on PostGIS on the user lists I joined (OpenJUP and Kosmo) in the last months.
>
> I will appreciate an opinion about these projects
>
> Regards
>
> Peppe

Giuseppe Aruta

Dec 14, 2008, 8:44:00 AM12/14/08
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,
thanks for your answer.

> Of course when it comes to corecting english and also if
> you need
> somebody who has a look on the overall document structure -
> please tell
> us/me.

I wil be glad to ask your help.

> What writing system are you using? I found Uwe's
> OOffice approach good,
> but translation is a pain as things move around and
> maintaining all
> links is hard too (that is why I droped most of the links
> in my
> translation).

I think Open office still remains a valid alternative. some months ago I translated an Open office document of Kosmo from Spanish to Italian. The difficulties and the structure document is similar to what I am facing with OpenJUMP. I didn't find big troubles. Of coarse there will be problems with links and page. I think we can face these problem later when sample documantation (in my case English and Italian) are ready.
Open Office is better, in my opinion, since everybody can work with it. Right now Pedro wrote me to collaborate for a Portuguese version. Other people who want to translate it won't find difficulties

> A good alternative is a doc-system like ELML (www.elml.ch)
> which allows
> to have web pages and export to pdf and so on, as things
> are stored in
> xml.

We can consider later to transfer OOdoc to ELML. They both must be in xml formasts.

I realize that a unique OpenJUMP User Manual will be extremely big.
I decided to divided it in 2 manuals:

1) OpenJUMP List of Function: this is already finished. I am putting some more descriptions and figures. The idea is to have this manual ad PDF, in the future, when we have a sort od embedded help this manual wiould be tha base for the help.
This manual will be the base since it described all the functionalities in OpenJUMP.

2) OpenJUMP User Manual: there is a lot of material availble in the web and wiki for OpenJUMp and JUMP. Reorganizing this material will constitute the manual. Of coarse I would like to get in the project Uwe, if he agrees, and maybe Davis and Aquino, since we must consider many aspect from the former JUMO manual.
Anyhow this part is quite 75% ready conidering the volume of "wiki User manual".

Regards

Peppe