Is OpenJPEG support jpeg2000 with alpha?

V.Abrutski

Sep 16, 2007, 2:03:29 PM9/16/07
to OpenJPEG
Is OpenJPEG support jpeg2000 with alpha?

V.Abrutski

Sep 27, 2007, 10:36:43 AM9/27/07
to OpenJPEG
Can somebody help me with this?

François-Olivier Devaux

Sep 27, 2007, 11:57:11 AM9/27/07
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In short, the answer is no...
OpenJPEG does not read the content of the Channel Definition box (cdef box) inside the JP2 header, which specifies the meaning of the samples in each channel in the image.

However, you can always create a raw image with 4 components, and consider that the last component represents the transparency layer. After the decompression of this 4 component image, you should be able to reconstruct the image with the correct transparency information...

Callum Lerwick

Sep 27, 2007, 1:28:36 PM9/27/07
to open...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 17:57 +0200, François-Olivier Devaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In short, the answer is no...
> OpenJPEG does not read the content of the Channel Definition box (cdef
> box) inside the JP2 header, which specifies the meaning of the samples
> in each channel in the image.
>
> However, you can always create a raw image with 4 components, and
> consider that the last component represents the transparency layer.
> After the decompression of this 4 component image, you should be able
> to reconstruct the image with the correct transparency information...

Hmmm, Second Life is using alpha channels. And it is interoperating with
KDU. I presume the second thing must be what its doing. :)

signature.asc

Galfar

Nov 17, 2007, 9:00:55 AM11/17/07
to OpenJPEG
Hi,

I've been using the "create a raw image with 4 components, and
consider that the last component represents the transparency layer"
method in my
applications that use OpenJPEG and it works well but most other image
viewers/editors
(Photoshop, PSP, XnView, ...) refuse to load these 4 channel jp2
without the cdef box in them.
Are there any plans on adding cdef reading/writing to OpenJPEG in the
future?

On Sep 27, 4:57 pm, François-Olivier Devaux

François-Olivier Devaux

Dec 10, 2007, 8:17:04 AM12/10/07
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Unfortunately, this is not planned in the near future... but contributions are welcome !

François