XMPP

Zero

Feb 19, 2008, 6:47:18 AM2/19/08
to OpenIntents
hi folks

please check this out:
http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack/index.jsp
http://davanum.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/android-just-use-smack-api-for-xmpp/

it seems that google used this api to create their service,
so we could probably do the same, using the same function signatures
as google did. then, voila, open-source android xmpp support. ;)
or is smack itself enough ?

Muthu Ramadoss

Feb 19, 2008, 6:56:35 AM2/19/08
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we should do this. I haven't checked out smack yet, will do soon.

--
Thanks.

Muthu Ramadoss
http://www.intellibitz.com
http://groups.google.com/group/android-chennai
http://www.slideshare.net/intellibitz
+91 44 22476750

We develop innovative solutions for mobile handsets, using Android.

Peli

Feb 19, 2008, 7:28:12 AM2/19/08
to OpenIntents
Zero,

well done! I think there are advantages in providing same function
signatures as google - so people can easily switch from GTalk to smack/
oi-xmpp :-)

We should in any case ask for permission if we can include smack in
openintents, but I don't see any trouble as they are also licensed
Apache (as are we).

Peli

On Feb 19, 12:47 pm, Zero <r...@everymail.net> wrote:
> hi folks
>
> please check this out:http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack/index.jsphttp://davanum.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/android-just-use-smack-api-fo...

Zero

Feb 19, 2008, 7:45:31 AM2/19/08
to OpenIntents
if i understand it right, smack might already be hidden deep down
somewhere in android.
so, maybe just importing it will be enough, but i have to try that.

On Feb 19, 1:28 pm, Peli <peli0...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Zero,
>
> well done! I think there are advantages in providing same function
> signatures as google - so people can easily switch from GTalk to smack/
> oi-xmpp :-)
>
> We should in any case ask for permission if we can include smack in
> openintents, but I don't see any trouble as they are also licensed
> Apache (as are we).
>
> Peli
>
> On Feb 19, 12:47 pm, Zero <r...@everymail.net> wrote:
>
> > hi folks
>
> > please check this out:http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack/index.jsphttp://davanum.......

Peli

Feb 19, 2008, 8:05:26 AM2/19/08
to OpenIntents
it may also be that they copied the source into com.google and intend
to change that to include their performance improvements - in which
case we would have to do an independent import anyway.

I that case I'd say it would be better to leave the library as library
(instead of copying the source-code into our project), because then we
can more easily profit from improvements on the smack library itself.
i.e. put smack into openintents/lib (for now. I don't know when
Android will support shared libaries...)

Peli

Peli

Feb 19, 2008, 8:46:17 AM2/19/08
to OpenIntents
Thinking more about it, another advantage of the openintents.xmpp
version may be that it could support both, xmpp and gtalk, at the same
time through one interface only. Then the same application can run
with xmpp or with gtalk, as the user wishes without program changes.
But first of course let's get xmpp running :-)

Peli

Hong

Feb 19, 2008, 11:12:34 AM2/19/08
to openi...@googlegroups.com
See the attached screenshots for XMPP package before and after M5 release.

I guess it's not super difficult to get XMPP back.  Also, seems only a few classes for initial XMPP package, maybe Google doesn't have enough time to tweak it based on Smack?
xmpp_pre_m5.JPG
xmpp_m5_aka_gtalkservice.JPG

Muthu Ramadoss

Feb 19, 2008, 11:13:02 AM2/19/08
to OpenIntents
As a first step i'm adding the smack jars into openintents/lib folder.

Hong

Feb 19, 2008, 11:14:27 AM2/19/08
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Note, it does originally includes IXmppService and IXmppSession for interfaces Peli's referring to :)

So it could be well intended but lack of resource/time or business requirements changes from OHA?

A little bit of Spring/Guice wiring could do the trick ^-^ ... thinking abit too far now.

Zero

Feb 19, 2008, 2:04:56 PM2/19/08
to OpenIntents
methinks these interfaces got something todo with the android rmi
implementation.
they all extend IInterface, which only consists of an IBinder
Object.
If google realy used smack like stated on that blog above, they got it
hidden
*realy* deep. I guess if we use smack as a backend then it comes to
bypassing
these Ibinder interfaces completely. this will probably introduce
another way to do
any sort of rmi calls on android. this is getting more interesting
everytime....

On Feb 19, 5:14 pm, Hong <lordh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Note, it does originally includes IXmppService and IXmppSession for
> interfaces Peli's referring to :)
>
> So it could be well intended but lack of resource/time or business
> requirements changes from OHA?
>
> A little bit of Spring/Guice wiring could do the trick ^-^ ... thinking abit
> too far now.

Muthu Ramadoss

Feb 20, 2008, 12:50:53 AM2/20/08
to openi...@googlegroups.com
What's the idea behind making the Chat interfaces remote?

Peli

Feb 20, 2008, 3:02:23 AM2/20/08
to OpenIntents
As indicated here:
http://code.google.com/android/toolbox/google-apis.html
(in the last section on P2P services), XMPP could potentially be used
to far more than just a chat client: Applications that live on
different Android phones can start to talk to each other quickly and
directly without the need of user interaction.

In this way, one can build multi-user games, synchronize shopping
lists or central tags, transparently keep schedule changes in group
calendars up-to-date, and do whatever you want.
You can virtually send "open intents" to another phone - start an
intent on another phone: that is basically an rmi call.

Possibilities are endless...

Peli
> Muthu Ramadosshttp://www.intellibitz.comhttp://groups.google.com/group/android-chennaihttp://www.slideshare.net/intellibitz
> +91 44 22476750
>
> We develop innovative solutions for mobile handsets, using Android.- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
>
> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Muthu Ramadoss

Feb 20, 2008, 3:22:19 AM2/20/08
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peli for a wonderful explanation.

--
Thanks.

Muthu Ramadoss

Feb 20, 2008, 7:28:09 AM2/20/08
to OpenIntents
Peli,

Are you sure we can use IPC between phones?

> Applications that live on
> different Android phones can start to talk to each other quickly and
> directly without the need of user interaction.

> > Muthu Ramadosshttp://www.intellibitz.comhttp://groups.google.com/group/android-chen...

Peli

Feb 20, 2008, 7:49:49 AM2/20/08
to OpenIntents
Muthu,

> Are you sure we can use IPC between phones?

If you write a small sample program that demonstrates how to do it,
then - yes - I'm quite sure ;-)

Peli

Muthu Ramadoss

Feb 20, 2008, 7:58:09 AM2/20/08
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Peli,

So you are not sure ;) Agreed, time to write some samples and test it out.

--
Thanks.

Peli

Feb 20, 2008, 8:52:31 AM2/20/08
to OpenIntents
Muthu,

Inter-process communication (IPC; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communication
) is such a general concept. The easiest implementation is, I give you
a phone call and ask "Muthu, what is 3+5", you type it in your Android
calculator ( http://openhandsetmagazine.com/tag/calculator/ ), call me
back, and tell me the answer. So I invoked some calculation on your
phone through a "remote procedure *call*" (pun intended ;-).

Whether you do it through SMS, XMPP, SOAP, or ZeroC's ICE is up to
you. It seems Android would prefer XMPP bundling intents, but I have
not the slightest doubt that something like this is possible. It is
just a matter of implementing whatever you want to have.

Peli

PS: Here is a tutorial how to do it through SMS:
http://www.anddev.org/recognize-react_on_incoming_sms-t295.html

On Feb 20, 1:58 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peli,
>
> So you are not sure ;) Agreed, time to write some samples and test it out.
>

> Peli wrote:
> > Muthu,
>
> >> Are you sure we can use IPC between phones?
>
> > If you write a small sample program that demonstrates how to do it,
> > then - yes - I'm quite sure ;-)
>
> > Peli
>
> > On Feb 20, 1:28 pm, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.ramad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Peli,
>
> >> Are you sure we can use IPC between phones?

> >> On Feb 20, 1:02 pm, Peli <peli0...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> --
> Thanks.
>
> Muthu Ramadosshttp://www.intellibitz.comhttp://groups.google.com/group/android-chennaihttp://www.slideshare.net/intellibitz

Muthu Ramadoss

Feb 20, 2008, 9:12:02 AM2/20/08
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Peli,

So Android doesn't support RPC directly. If we want we can make use of
IPC to mimic RPC. Is this correct?

Peli wrote:
> Muthu,
>
> Inter-process communication (IPC; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communication
> ) is such a general concept. The easiest implementation is, I give you
> a phone call and ask "Muthu, what is 3+5", you type it in your Android
> calculator ( http://openhandsetmagazine.com/tag/calculator/ ), call me
> back, and tell me the answer. So I invoked some calculation on your
> phone through a "remote procedure *call*" (pun intended ;-).
>
> Whether you do it through SMS, XMPP, SOAP, or ZeroC's ICE is up to
> you. It seems Android would prefer XMPP bundling intents, but I have
> not the slightest doubt that something like this is possible. It is
> just a matter of implementing whatever you want to have.
>
> Peli
>
> PS: Here is a tutorial how to do it through SMS:
> http://www.anddev.org/recognize-react_on_incoming_sms-t295.html

--
Thanks.

Peli

Feb 21, 2008, 5:36:36 AM2/21/08
to OpenIntents
Muthu,

Yes, exactly. That's how I see it. (unless you already see the GTalk
services combined with intents as some kind of RPC).

> [...] time to write some samples and test it out.

Wonderful idea! ;-) Time is running - 7 weeks left until the deadline.
It is clear that we can not implement everything until then, so we
should think big - but start small (ASAP!).

Peli