How much Star Wars is Android?

Friedger Müffke

Jul 2, 2010, 5:59:15 AM7/2/10
to OpenIntents
Hi,

just to keep you informed. OpenIntents received a cease and desist
letter from LucasFilm because we used "droidcon" as name for the
Android conference in Germany:
http://www.openintents.org/en/node/711

It is worring if LucasFilm tries to claim monopoly on the abbreviation
"droid". Let's hope for the best.

Friedger

Kevin McDonagh

Jul 2, 2010, 5:55:31 AM7/2/10
to openi...@googlegroups.com
If the word 'droid' was allowed to seep into the public conciseness. I believe it would be whole lot more value to the lucas arts brand in future.

Regards,
Kevin McDonagh
Android Application developer
+44 07 981 932 411
Fancy working on lots of awesome Android? We're Hiring!
http://novoda.com/blog

Google Talk: novoda1 Skype: novoda.com

Karl Ostmo

Jul 2, 2010, 6:15:38 AM7/2/10
to openi...@googlegroups.com
Of note, Verizon Wireless licensed the brand name Droid from Lucasfilm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Droid

Friedger Müffke

Jul 2, 2010, 6:44:35 AM7/2/10
to openi...@googlegroups.com
I don't know about the background of the licensing agreement. However,
the relevant trademark was registered in the US a few months after
droidcon in Europe. Furthermore, the brand guidelines for Android by
Google have been changed around the same time. Does anybody have
details/screenshots of the changes, dates, background?

Friedger

2010/7/2 Karl Ostmo <kos...@gmail.com>:

--
OpenIntents UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Suarezstraße 41

Vertretungsberechtigter Geschäftsführer: Friedger Müffke
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Berlin (Charlottenburg)
Registernummer: HRB 118597
Ust-IdNr: DE265992701

pjv

Jul 3, 2010, 5:41:11 PM7/3/10
to OpenIntents
I don't unfortunately. Wish I could help. Surprised the C&D even
allows you to publicly mention this.

Good luck
> > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/openintents?hl=en.
>
> --
> OpenIntents UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
> Suarezstraße 41
> 14057 Berlin
> tel:+49 30 60982220
> mailto:i...@openintents.biz

Mathias Lin

Jul 12, 2010, 8:36:29 AM7/12/10
to OpenIntents
Hi Friedger,

please keep up informed about any news, very interested in it!

If I understand correctly, it's about the conference in Germany and
not a planned conference in the US, right?
Below you said "However, the relevant trademark was registered in the
US a few months after droidcon in Europe."
Why would the trademark in the US be relevant for a conference in
Europe; shouldn't it be about a relevant registered trademark in
Europe/Germany then? Has the relevant trademark been registered there
as well?

BTW: does anybody know of an online search site where you can lookup
all registered trademarks in Europe and/or Asia, as it is for the US
at uspto.gov ?

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:e30upk.13.6
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:e30upk.13.11
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4009:e30upk.13.13