[OpenID] Live Icons for visual recognition of IDP logos

1 view

SitG Admin

Apr 1, 2009, 7:37:01 PM4/1/09
to gen...@openid.net
Just an idea that came to me while thinking about the OpenID Selector
widget. The more sites to adopt OpenID as an IDP, the more logos
we're likely to have, and then a Selector would either showcase an
overwhelming number of icons trying to give users of every service
something they'd recognize, or discriminate between IDP's in showing
users only a limited selection trying to keep it simple. How about a
small area, with an animated (perhaps cycling through icons, perhaps
a scrolling "banner") display of all the known/popular IDP's, but
only a few at a time?

-Shade

Allen Tom

Apr 1, 2009, 8:17:26 PM4/1/09
to gen...@openid.net
Asking the user to enter their email address would be far more scalable
than having a bunch of buttons, but that seems to be an unpopular option.

Allen

Andrew Arnott

Apr 1, 2009, 8:39:17 PM4/1/09
to Allen Tom, general
If there are buttons, one with the OpenID logo should be one of them, allowing the user to use their own provider.  That's my only requirement.

Let the RPs pick which OPs to list.  Those RPs will need to trust those OPs anyway.  Whether they trust them to authenticate users for banking, or whether they trust them to just not go belly-up and thereby locking out their users from their accounts at that RP, some trust should be implied by an RP listing OP logos.

If an OP isn't popular enough to make it onto an RP's preferred list, that's the OP's incentive to work with the RP to earn some screen real estate.  If the OP already has users and wants its users to be able to log into arbitrary RPs that may not have put the OPs logo on the login panel, the onus is on the OP to educate their users as to how to use the OpenID button at the RP by entering the user or OP identifier.

My two cents.

--
Andrew Arnott
"I [may] not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Peter Williams

Apr 1, 2009, 8:50:46 PM4/1/09
to Andrew Arnott, Allen Tom, general

Think about the message its sending.

Who would want to put their family photos on a site they may not be able to access tomorrow (when some OP goes belly-up)?

Surely an RP needs to assure its users that there exists the means to replace the OP? The dotcom bust taught us that lots of service  companies do infact go belly-up, in the usual boom/bust cycle.

Would be strange if the UCI mission of openid facilitates data and identity portability, but then the failure engineering of the overall service still means you can STILL easily lose access.

Presumably, the RP might retain  the users email address(es) from the sreg handoff, so it can send access-recovery URLs  granting the users access WITHOUT using any of registered OP(s) for the account.

Apr 1, 2009, 8:52:52 PM4/1/09
to SitG Admin, gen...@openid.net
And then we'll all play a game of "catch my IdP"?

There used to be this piece of software for the Atari (probably for
other platforms, too), that would suddenly spring into action, make a
mosquito fly around your screen, turn your mouse pointer into a
mosquito swat, and prevent you from doing anything on your computer
until you managed to catch the fly. Very hilarious.

I was always waiting for the version that one could run on somebody
else's X11 display. Your proposal sounds like I'm getting what I
wanted, for all platforms ;-)

SitG Admin

Apr 1, 2009, 9:14:58 PM4/1/09
to Johannes Ernst, gen...@openid.net
>And then we'll all play a game of "catch my IdP"?

I was thinking more along the lines of "We accept these:" and the
icons would be indicators rather than clickable. But if the different
icons *are* clickable that way, it shouldn't be too much more complex
to have the "banner" scroll as a default but let you navigate in
either direction by mousing over the appropriate hotspots.

Andrew Arnott

Apr 1, 2009, 9:15:41 PM4/1/09
to Peter Williams, general
Honestly, Peter, the belly-up OP is what scares me the most about OpenID.  And I really like OpenID.  As large and well-written as myopenid.com seems to be, I'd never recommend my less-tech-savvy family use it over yahoo.com or google.com as an OP because I'm not convinced myopenid.com will be around for 25 years.  That's why I use my "vanity" url.  It's not for vanity at all... it's for my own identity protection.  But the vanity url has to be at my own domain name so that no belly-up company can take down my identity. That obviously isn't a solution that will work for my friends and family.

One other problem with listing lots of popular OPs at an RP, and that is that a user will learn to rely on his OP being shown, and even if the OP doesn't go belly-up, if it disappears from an RP's list of logos, many users will not know how to login any more and assume they're locked out.  Bad scenario.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that I'm logging in with OpenID in order to avoid a username/password and account recovery process at an RP, and yet that RP offers an email recovery for that account.  That feels insecure to me.  I want to separate my all-unlocking email address from all my other web accounts. If someone compromises my email address, I'd really rather they not gain access to all my web accounts at the same time.  So I don't want RPs to offer an account recovery option if I use OpenID to log in.  Let account recovery be an OP issue.

Now if the OP goes belly-up, or locks the user out of their account for any random reason, what recourse does the user have?  Well, in the real world we have government that can help us prove our identity to various parties if we lose our driver's license or something.  Perhaps we need a trusted entity like that for the Internet. (I can already hear many of you screaming).

An alternative to relying on an OP or running your own vanity URL is hosting your own identity on your own box.  Too complicated for the average joe?  Not so much if you use InfoCard.  InfoCard elegantly puts complete identity control in the user's hands, and without any risk of ever having it revoked by someone else.  There are a couple of problems with InfoCard as it stands today though that I see: infocards are not easily transportable to other computers (yet), and if they are lost without a backup, they're gone forever and so is your access to Internet sites.

Since I don't have the perfect solution for either side, DotNetOpenAuth's openid login popup will probably feature a couple of major OPs, an OpenID logo, and an InfoCard logo, allowing the user to pick what they're most comfortable with.

--
Andrew Arnott
"I [may] not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Peter Williams

Apr 1, 2009, 10:19:12 PM4/1/09
to Andrew Arnott, general

There seem 3 main technical choices, for _mainstream_ failure engineering addressing OPs (or suspension/cessation of assertion-minting privileges by the OP, under its terms of service).

RPs normally bind multiple openids to the account

RPs host a new vanity XRDS, delegating to both the introducing OP and to at least itself (as a fallback  OP)

RPs offer account recovery/restoration, based on some or other authentication scheme

My wife just had an unpleasant ebay experience, leading ebay to suspend her account after 3 years happy-ebaying (after some merchant made a (dubious in my independent view) allegation, but who played the trust game under ebay’s reputation rules MUCH better than she did). Loss of the ebay auction privileges was no great shakes (Peter is less poor this month, than last). But …Ah, sorry.! Now No more access to “your” photos on photoshare.com  for you , dear _former_ ebay-susbcriber.

Jonathan Coffman

Apr 1, 2009, 10:35:23 PM4/1/09
to Andrew Arnott, Peter Williams, general
It’s definitely a situation to avoid unless you want to end up like those crazy “share” buttons (think ShareThis, AddtoAny, etc). They’ve found themselves trying to please too many different people by constantly adding social networks and bookmarking sites to their buttons that they’ve had to resort to things like scrolling windows, and (I think this is actually rather smart) remembering what providers individual users use most often.

I think it’s hard to imagine an OpenID logo based log-in box that wasn’t composed of either OPs who have business arrangements with the RP (gasp!) or, and perhaps more realistically, the OPs with the largest mutual user bases with the RP.

-Jonathan

On 4/1/09 9:15 PM, "Andrew Arnott" <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:

Honestly, Peter, the belly-up OP is what scares me the most about OpenID.  And I really like OpenID.  As large and well-written as myopenid.com <http://myopenid.com>  seems to be, I'd never recommend my less-tech-savvy family use it over yahoo.com <http://yahoo.com>  or google.com <http://google.com>  as an OP because I'm not convinced myopenid.com <http://myopenid.com>  will be around for 25 years.  That's why I use my "vanity" url.  It's not for vanity at all... it's for my own identity protection.  But the vanity url has to be at my own domain name so that no belly-up company can take down my identity. That obviously isn't a solution that will work for my friends and family.

Andrew Arnott

Apr 1, 2009, 10:42:17 PM4/1/09
to Peter Williams, general
Agreed.  I'd vote for the first mitigating option: RPs allow users to easily bind multiple OpenIDs to an account.

--
Andrew Arnott
"I [may] not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

SitG Admin

Apr 1, 2009, 11:17:49 PM4/1/09
to Andrew Arnott, gen...@openid.net
>Agreed. I'd vote for the first mitigating option: RPs allow users to
>easily bind multiple OpenIDs to an account.

I prefer this, too. I do think that the "SINGLE sign on" part of
OpenID may eventually become non-viable, as OpenID becomes used for
banks and other RP's that everyone needs to interact with but who
can't, for security, allow users to use the same credentials with all
their different OP's. (This would not be a problem for any one of
those OP's going belly-up, but *would* be a problem when worrying
about one of them turning hostile, one of them being compromised, or
the user's smart-card being stolen.)

Paul Madsen

Apr 2, 2009, 5:54:50 AM4/2/09
to SitG Admin, gen...@openid.net
how about something like this UI model http://marumushi.com/apps/newsmap/

If each OP got an area proportional to its user base it would be very Darwinian.

paul

SitG Admin wrote:

Paul Madsen
e:paulmadsen @ ntt-at.com
m:613-282-8647
web:connectid.blogspot.com
ConnectID

Allen Tom

Apr 2, 2009, 2:36:57 PM4/2/09
to Peter Williams, general
Peter Williams wrote:

There seem 3 main technical choices, for _mainstream_ failure engineering addressing OPs (or suspension/cessation of assertion-minting privileges by the OP, under its terms of service).

RPs normally bind multiple openids to the account

RPs host a new vanity XRDS, delegating to both the introducing OP and to at least itself (as a fallback  OP)

RPs offer account recovery/restoration, based on some or other authentication scheme

RPs should allow users to bind multiple identifiers to a user's account, and allow users to add and remove them.

For most consumer oriented websites, account recovery via verified email address is probably the most realistic option. Many users have problems remembering their secret questions, and the secret answers may change over time. (Your favorite movie might change) Additionally, many the answers to many secret questions might not be all that secret. (when did you graduate high school, what's your hometown)

Allen

Deron Meranda

Apr 2, 2009, 4:39:38 PM4/2/09
to Allen Tom, general
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Allen Tom <at...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> RPs should allow users to bind multiple identifiers to a user's account, and
> allow users to add and remove them.

I absolutely agree. But is there any recommended way to do that,
in terms of a consistent user interaction? In fact I haven't seen very
many RPs in the wild attempt the multiple id support yet, though it
seems to be something that we should strongly try to encourage.

The way that my own RP does that is that when you're already logged
in (say using identity A) and you try to login again (with id B) without
having logged out first, it will

1. Put up a page that says you were already logged in before, and
2. Ask if you would you like to add the identity you just logged in
to the same user account; or instead login as a new user (thus
logging the first one out).

In between 1 and 2 the user is sort of in a limbo session state.
I know their OpenID identity, but I haven't mapped them to a
local user account yet.

Obviously to do this I must maintain a mapping of OpenID identities
to local user accounts; and this is a many to one mapping. This means
that the OpenID identity is NOT my user account identity; but instead that
the OpenID identity REFERENCES my user account identity. A
subtle but important distinction.

Furthermore once a user is logged in, they can go to their user
"preferences" screen; where a list of all their OpenID identities is
shown. From there they can delete any of them.

Obviously, if you don't have an account recovery system in place
(such as via verified email), then you need to prevent the user from
deleting ALL of their identities lest they be locked out. Also, since the
only way to add an identity is to actually use it first (login with it), I don't
have to worry about them only having identities left which have never
been "tested", and thus chance them locking themselves out.

--
Deron Meranda

Peter Williams

Apr 2, 2009, 4:44:56 PM4/2/09
to Deron Meranda, Allen Tom, general
Try plaxo. Login using an openid. Goto account management. Add another openid in the box (which induces login screen to appear to OP to authenticate/authorized the binding). Done.

Want to delete a binding? Guess what! Some really advanced UI has you pick one (after logon) and delete it from the account management properties.

Remember openid websso (like SAML websso) is *mostly* deployed in simple session translation mode. Once you are on the RP site having been introduced by openid auth-controlled "intermediating" sessions, it’s the RP session that thenceforth controls auth/authz on the webapp, not the OP. So, you can delete any session translation service (aka openid binding) - even the one that got you to that particular RP session. It's completed its job.

SitG Admin

Apr 2, 2009, 7:22:51 PM4/2/09
to Deron Meranda, gen...@openid.net
>Obviously, if you don't have an account recovery system in place
>(such as via verified email), then you need to prevent the user from
>deleting ALL of their identities lest they be locked out.

Unless that's the goal, aka account deletion - though if the Privacy
Policy doesn't explicitly *permit* users to remove all their personal
information (anticipating that all their accounts will soon be
compromised, perhaps), it's not unknown to retain the user's data
indefinitely (and leave it exposed to any future exploits).

-Shade

Brian Kissel

Apr 3, 2009, 12:36:01 AM4/3/09
to Deron Meranda, Allen Tom, general

JanRain's RPX account mapping API helps link multiple OpenID accounts so you don’t have to change your database schema to support multiple OpenID accounts.

Cheers,

Brian

==============

Brian Kissel

Cell: 503.866.4424

Fax: 503.296.5502

Apr 3, 2009, 12:47:58 AM4/3/09
to Deron Meranda, general

Obviously to do this I must maintain a mapping of OpenID identities

to local user accounts; and this is a many to one mapping.  This means

that the OpenID identity is NOT my user account identity; but instead that

the OpenID identity REFERENCES my user account identity.  A

subtle but important distinction.

[Peter Williams] Other websso schemes call the latter session translation. Its main and not-particularly subtle benefit is it allows loose coupling of the identity management systems of 2 or more peers: 1 at OP, another at RP#1, another at an affiliate of RP#1. This contrasts with the tightly coupled vision, which I know some folks consider “true” openid. In that view of the world, any RP that retains a local login or an RP-centric affiliate network is not a “true & faithful” openid participant.

Martin Atkins

Apr 3, 2009, 1:00:32 AM4/3/09
to general
Peter Williams wrote:

> Obviously to do this I must maintain a mapping of OpenID identities
>
> to local user accounts; and this is a many to one mapping. This means
>
> that the OpenID identity is NOT my user account identity; but instead that
>
> the OpenID identity REFERENCES my user account identity. A
>
> subtle but important distinction.

I agree that there is a distinction, but the latter is true on most
systems that support only one identifier too, and is in fact consistent
with how OpenID was originally described: OpenID allows you to prove
that you own a URL. One application of that is to prove that you own a
user account that references that URL, which is a special case of
asserting that you're the same person I saw last time. (for some
wishy-washy definition of "person".)

This is the main reason why I make a point of saying "identifier"
instead of "identity" in this context. My identity is a more abstract
concept that is difficult to define.

Peter Williams

Apr 3, 2009, 1:18:15 AM4/3/09
to general
Mostly to head off someone's inevitable claim of impropriety, I best note that I didn't author the excellent text cited to me, below. Folks should recognize Martin is agreeing with Deron Meranda.

I still think the traditional semantics are much clearer, than distinguishing acts of denoting from acts of reference OR using special nouns.

You get a session on the OP, by authenticating. You want to get a session on RP, by not authenticating. To get from one to the other, you use a session translation service.

That's the service.

The rest is protocol.

Rabbit

Apr 3, 2009, 4:28:44 AM4/3/09
to general
This thread is asking the question:
"How do I control my identity when I lose control over my identifier?"

I'm possibly misusing the term here but if OpenID is "user-centric"
then its recovery mechanism should be too. RP trusts OP to
authenticate the user. RP could also trust the OP to provide
information that can be used to authenticate the user independently
from the OP. This would be useful for a several reasons (one-to-one
privacy, OP unavailable, domain expiration, bear attacks a data
center, totalitarian government takes over).

Just to illustrate the concept further, here's an **example** of how
this could work. (Walk away with the concepts here, not the details,
please.)

When you sign up for the OP, you are asked to supply an emergency
passphrase. A signature is generated by the function
"hash( your_openid + emergency_pass )". This signature is given to
each RP you sign into. When your OP is not available, the RP can still
authenticate you by using the traditional "Identifier + Credential"
method in widespread usage today by asking you for your emergency
passphrase. The RP will never know your emergency passphrase until it
needs to know. Obviously, this must not be the same credentials used
to authenticate with your OP.

Again, the above is just an example. The concept can be expanded upon
to provide a decentralized account recovery protocol.

=Rabbit

Rabbit

Apr 3, 2009, 4:43:27 AM4/3/09
to SitG Admin, gen...@openid.net
I really feel like there is already a proven model for adoption that
can be applied here.

We have a globally implemented technology which we want to replace
with a new technology although it might not be immediately understood
in the way that it needs to be.

I would equate this to when we had globally implemented HTML which we
wanted to replace with XHTML although it wasn't immediately understood
by browsers in the way it needed to be.

Imagine instead of having one OpenID-UX standard, web developers were
given two standards to choose from based on the needs of their target
market; OpenID-UX-Transitional and OpenID-UX-Advanced. One would be
highly informative and assume the user knows nothing about OpenID and
may in fact have their head stuck in their computer chair for the
third time while the other assumes the user is familiar with OpenID
and has used it to login before.

Imho, the community is currently missing a huge opportunity to
bootstrap the OpenID brand into recognition by being properly paired
with popular OpenID-enabled brands. I'm a little stunned there has
been research discovering users are more likely to click on a huge
"Google Sign In" button instead of an almost transparent OpenID logo.
I always felt like that should be obvious. People know what Google is.
The problem I have with this, and where I feel there is a missed
opportunity, is that the Google brand does not mean login. The Google
brand means search or maps or even porcelain kittens before it means
login the way OpenID means login. I really feel that OpenID should be
directly paired with the Google logo each and every time a user signs
in with OpenID + Google and same with every other service.

The reason is recognition. If OpenID becomes the recognizable symbol
for "login" as Flickr means "photos" and Google means "search", you
eventually won't need to leverage popular brands as desperately as you
do now.

So, imho, there needs to be a OpenID-UX-Transitional standard that
closely pairs the OpenID logo to recognized brands. OpenID should not
stand on it's own as it's own option because that communicates to most
users that it is just as different as MySpace is to Google is to
Yahoo! is to X is to Z.

=Rabbit

Andrew Arnott

Apr 3, 2009, 7:43:52 PM4/3/09
to Rabbit, general
Rabbit,

I think this is a reasonable idea.  I don't mind an OpenID extension that could carry an account recovery piece of data around.