Economic Stimulus Bill Text Tracker

Josh Tauberer

Sep 29, 2008, 6:41:47 PM9/29/08
to openhous...@googlegroups.com
Based on John's idea on a previous thread:
> I recently saw a version control system that programmers apparently
> use routinely to track changes in code, where differences and
> appended sections are highlighted, allowing for the evolution of a
> text to be easily tracked and visualized.
>
> It seems that there are individual provisions evolving through
> multiple iterations, which could be aligned in such a version control
> system, though I don't know how easy such version control analysis is
> to apply to bills.

I went ahead and adapted the bill comparison tool I developed for
GovTrack and analyzed the changes made between the draft PDFs that have
been circulating of the bail-out bill. I found four texts (three drafts
plus the amendment voted on today), making for three comparisons. You
can see them here:

http://www.govtrack.us/special/econstimbill/changes.xpd

It's not very pretty because while House bill writers have been posting
the PDFs, PDFs don't make it easy to make comparisons. They *are*
composing the bills in XML, and if they made those available we the
public would have an easier time. Maybe we wouldn't complain to our reps
so much either because we could actually understand what is going on better!

GovTrack, much like House.gov, is having difficulty keeping up with the
high load of so many people Googling for HR 3997. You may have to reload
the page once or twice or thrice to get it.

If you have spotted a draft PDF (in the 105 page range) that I don't
have, please send it along and I'll add it.

Feedback is welcome. I would appreciate a few hours embargo on linking
in case some bugs crop up from feedback. After that, please disseminate
far and wide as you please.

--
- Josh Tauberer
- GovTrack.us

http://razor.occams.info

John Wonderlich

Sep 30, 2008, 7:16:36 AM9/30/08
to openhous...@googlegroups.com
Josh,

This is really cool!

nice turnaround time, too.

We've been looking also at what version tracking would look like for the last 5 or so versions of the House Rules.  Let me know if you (or anyone) wants the ASCI files, which we got from here:
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/hrm/browse.html

Alli, my fearless intern, went through and downloaded each rule from each Congress, and found some interesting disparities in version labeling among different Congresses, and also discovered that the rules were drastically changed between the 105th and 106th Congresses.

It's really interesting to see the things that only come to light under a programmatic lens, and I have no doubt that the bailout comparison you've put together here has similar interesting nuggets.

This is also a great counterpart to Mark Tapscott's bill tracking chart.

John

Greg Elin

Sep 30, 2008, 3:07:16 PM9/30/08
to openhous...@googlegroups.com
Drat, GovTrack down.

Love side by side comparisons and wish Congress did them! Nicely done...for transparency (even if I disagree with certain representation of issues...but cool for your readers).
--
Greg Elin
Sunlight Foundation (http://sunlightfoundation.com)

John Wonderlich

Oct 2, 2008, 12:42:41 PM10/2/08
to openhous...@googlegroups.com
I liked Josh's implementation so much I tried to do it with paper, just to show how helpful the diff tool is in this circumstance.

Youtube and pictures here:  http://blog.sunlightfoundation.com/2008/10/02/versioning-on-paper/

Josh Tauberer

Oct 9, 2008, 6:58:50 AM10/9/08
John Wonderlich wrote:
> I liked Josh's implementation so much I tried to do it with paper, just
> to show how helpful the diff tool is in this circumstance.
>
> Youtube and pictures here:
> http://blog.sunlightfoundation.com/2008/10/02/versioning-on-paper/

Ha, fantastic! It just needs some talkie piano music in the background.

> <http://www.dcexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/TapscottsCopyDesk/Comparison_of_original_Paulson_bailout_to_compromise_proposal.html>.

> ge...@sunlightfoundation.com <mailto:ge...@sunlightfoundation.com>
> gr...@fotonotes.net <mailto:gr...@fotonotes.net>

chrisber

Dec 1, 2008, 12:07:34 PM12/1/08
to Open House Project
Tim O'Reilly is musing about change tracking of government websites -
change.gov in particular - here:
http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/11/change-gov-revision-control.html

There's even a preliminary git-based implementation.