Redefining Learning Environment -> Expanding Individual Learning Capacities -> Spurring Lifelong Learning

Mohd Latiff Rahmat

Aug 22, 2015, 3:36:16 AM8/22/15
to OpenFrog
Anyone out there keen to crack this problem for the digital age ?. Happy to meet and mingle.

Latiff

Nick Fawbert

Aug 22, 2015, 5:22:55 AM8/22/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing Latiff I'm very involved in that space - but it's a very broad church. What are the particular skills or insights you are looking for?

Sent from my iPad

On 22 Aug 2015, at 3:36 pm, Mohd Latiff Rahmat <lati...@icloud.com> wrote:

Anyone out there keen to crack this problem for the digital age ?. Happy to meet and mingle.

Latiff

nawaz anwarudeen

Aug 22, 2015, 11:37:17 PM8/22/15
to OpenFrog
I am currently researching this actively in the context of
1. spaced repetitive learning
2. social learning
3. intrinsic motivation
etc.

The goal is to explore if there is an opportunity to make learning (and training) simple, social, and fun and help people learn what they want to learn.

happy to discuss further and exchange ideas.
Nawaz
9722 8532

Latiff

Aug 31, 2015, 9:36:43 PM8/31/15
to OpenFrog
Hi Nawar

thanks for replying. lets meet up this week for chat if you are available. have also separately text you moments ago.

cheers.

Latiff
m -98192577

Latiff

Aug 31, 2015, 9:45:55 PM8/31/15
to OpenFrog
Sure Nick.  Thanks for responding to my post.

Am trying to build a credible team to solve this problem.  There is no leader in this space in Singapore. This team will therefore need people that deals with technology development and another group that will look into the building of communities and integrating them together - both users, developers as well as trailblazers of applications of technology.

What are your thoughts.

Nick Fawbert

Aug 31, 2015, 10:05:32 PM8/31/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
I think there's probably three main areas of interest: platforms, content and community.

From a platform perspective there's an array of global suppliers with traditional elearning LMS platforms. We've been working in this area over several years and think we've identified the best: supporting multimedia content, assessment with comprehensive tracking and SCORM / Tin Cup compliance.

It's difficult to see how an SG company could compete in this traditional space without significant investment - although there will be enough support for 'buy local' solution to keep a business ticking over.

So I think if you wanted to get into platforms you'd need to be proposing a revolutionary approach with a unique proposition. I've seen many 'novelty' approaches to education, but few that have stuck.

From a content perspective most demand for elearning lies in the transfer of contextual or procedural knowledge from one individual to another. Other areas of demand include cultural compliance (where culture may be a corporate or social) or ingenious thinking (teaching a way of approaching problems).

The typical problem with content is the cost of quality. Most elearning on most platforms is dross - and that tragically includes the Khan Academy and more famous names such as Lynda.com. That's because in order to work the majority of these platforms have to decentralise content production, and then they are at the mercy of their contributors.

I'd always be interested in proposals that can solve this problem.

Finally from a community perspective great elearning is usually about the application of some kind of game theory (either blunt or sophisticated) to create a social environment in which learning is encouraged.

The bluntest of these approaches offer incentives in terms of social or corporate advancement, but I'm sure other approaches could do a better job.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, or anything you'd like to suggest?

You can reach me at ni...@thirdspace.asia

Sent from my iPad

Latiff

Sep 1, 2015, 1:46:47 AM9/1/15
to OpenFrog
Thanks Nick.  Yes, the platform is certainly a key bedrock of supporting future learning.  Content still lots of room for digitisation and design.

Best way perhaps is to start by being a catalyst to design the learning community.

Will touch based you separately soon in the email you provided.

Chandra

Sep 1, 2015, 11:33:24 AM9/1/15
to OpenFrog
Hi Latiff,

Have you seen this website
https://www.iamthirsty.com.sg/

drllau

Sep 8, 2015, 4:01:00 PM9/8/15
to OpenFrog

On Tuesday, 1 September 2015 13:46:47 UTC+8, Latiff wrote:
Thanks Nick.  Yes, the platform is certainly a key bedrock of supporting future learning.  Content still lots of room for digitisation and design.

Coming from an academic background, I have to ask the question, is this a tech-push or market pull? Studies show that after accounting for costs online learning is not that much cheaper than traditional pontification at podium, and in fact the social cohesion forces weaker students to either actively participate or swap out (note high non-completion rates of online degrees). Perhaps a content revamp might reconfigure material for an attention deficit generation but IMHO this is only tweaking the edges.

Instead I'd refer you to a commentary on continuous partial employment. Technology and globalisation is allowing labor pools to be matched to demands in new ways (see ePersonal assistants from India or kaggle), but having seasonal or casual workers being the key touch-point for customers makes them the failure point for brand-experience (see Uber issues on failure to do background checks). Hence training/learning becomes more significant in getting on-demand workers up to speed, especially if the tools/interfaces to the corporate resources rapidly change.

Singapore is a rather unusual situation, like Germany with gateway to East Europe or US wrt Mexico, it has potential access to the hinterland of Malaysia/Indonesia, esp if high-speed train comes into existence. But to properly tap into these pools of potential talent, upskilling, training and knowledge-awareness would be required to make available the on-demand workforce which aging developed countries of Europe/US want to hold down their labor costs. I would put to this audience that learning (beyond personal edification) needs to be placed in the larger context of identifying self-work/employment opportunities and the new algorithmic shift boss (market driven innovation).

If “the algorithm is the new shift boss,” the business rules driving the algorithm, and whether it increases or decreases the opportunities offered to workers, make a huge difference!

Lawrence

Mohd Latiff Rahmat

Sep 11, 2015, 12:56:22 AM9/11/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Lawrence for your thoughtful insights.  I once was part of a committee to help the low-wage + contract and casual workers.  So i can easily relate to some of the issues you surfaced.

I also share the same view as you on the cost considerations for an on-line learning, and can appreciate the view that on-line learning if pursued must be based on market pull. Even one wants to be a catalyst, it is key that the product (curriculum. delivery) must engender the market pull than try to force learners into the on-line platform(s).

The article on continuous partial employment is indeed instructive and offers good lessons for our nation's leaders, and our govt-union machineries to reap so that they could tailor our rules of labour relations in Singapore to be more acclimatise to ever-changing technological weather.  I will forwarded this article to some of my colleagues in in govt and union, just in case they miss this good read.

As for me, my interests in more on the human side of applying, modifying or aggregating the technologies around us, to support learning. Granted things may change over time.  But because the wrong flock-like approach adopted adopted now can lead to thousands or even millions in wasted dollars, i feel the learning community needs to come together and be guided by solution driven initiatives.   Right now, it is very product driven (be it apps, on-line platforms, gadgets, etc) which are very much commercially driven at the outset. This must not be the case if we are to really find a good solution towards a natural desire in us for lifelong learning.

Mohd Latiff Rahmat

Sep 11, 2015, 1:01:17 AM9/11/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chandra for pointing to an interesting site.  I will make contact with them.

drllau

Sep 14, 2015, 4:17:17 AM9/14/15
to OpenFrog
Yes ... technology changes the nature of work and therefore the job. I'm from overseas so not familiar with Singapore govt-union relations but I observe that according to reports, productivity in the service sector has stagnated despite the prevalence of technology. However I point out that often technology creates NEW jobs, often obsoleting old so metrics might be irrelevant ... pick up a recruitment rag and you find descriptions that 10 years ago didn't exist (search engine optimisation, community manager, customer onboarding). The customer on-boarding is an interesting one because that essentially involves teaching/training the paying customer ... ie facilitated learning.