Porting ANDROID on Friendly ARM Mini 2440

Manish Gajjaria

Dec 5, 2010, 11:02:28 AM12/5/10
to opena...@googlegroups.com
Brief about the session on "Porting ANDROID on Friendly ARM Mini
2440" conducted by Suchakra:

This wiki shall provide the steps required to install Android
distribution on Friendly ARM Mini 2440, using the pre-built binaries
of the Bootloader, thhe Kernel and the Root Filesystem

The prebuilt binaries required can be downloaded from:
http://www.friendlyarm.net/downloads

Hardware Setup between Host (Host PC) and Target (Mini 2440 target board):
Serial Port connection between Host PC and Board for seeing Bootloader
messages, and selecting image to be transferred.
USB connection between Host PC and Board for actual transfer of binary
images. Download the USB Push utility from
http://www.friendlyarm.net/dl.php?file=usbpush.zip which enables
transfer of binary images over USB.

Steps:
1. The Friendly ARM Mini 2440 has a Switch for selecting the Flash to
boot from i.e. either NAND Flash or NOR Flash.
2. For this installation, the switch should be set at NOR Flash
setting. The mini Super Vivi Bootloader runs from NOR Flash which
enables transfer of the binary images.

3. The following three steps are required to be done to transfer the
Bootloader, Kernal Image and Filesystem respectively
a. At the Serial Terminal, select the option to transfer the
Bootlaoder. At the other terminal, run the USB Push utility as:
./s3c2410_boot_usb /Bootlaoader_image (This is the
Bootloader that will be saved in NAND Flash)

b. At the Serial Terminal, select the option to transfer the
Kernel. At the other terminal, run the USB Push utility as:
./s3c2410_boot_usb /Kernel_image

c. At the Serial Terminal, select the option to transfer the
Filesystem. At the other terminal, run the USB Push utility as:
./s3c2410_boot_usb /FileSystem_image

NOTE:
While running the USB Push exectable, two options are required to be given as:
./s3c2410_boot_usb Option1_Address Option2_ImageName
The first option sets the location where the binary image is to be loaded.
In the above example, it is not required to give the Address Option 1
as this is taken care by the mini Super vivi bootloader running from
NOR.
Also, a download error failure message may come up. You may ignore the
message as the USB Push utility was previously built for 2410
Development board, and not for 2440.

Once the 3 images have been tranferred, power off the board, change
the switch setting to NAND Flash and restart the board.

You should see the ANDROID kernel booting up.

One query:
I couldnt copy the SerialTerminal messages, as I was getting a
persistent error "Device /dev/ttyUSB0 is locked." while accessing the
serial terminal on my laptop

Chaitanya Nandigam

Dec 5, 2010, 11:55:51 PM12/5/10
to OpenARMLab
how to port andriod to mini

from the andriod kernel

On Dec 5, 9:02 pm, Manish Gajjaria <manish.gajja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brief about  the session on "Porting ANDROID on Friendly ARM Mini
> 2440"  conducted by Suchakra:
>
> This wiki shall provide the steps required to install Android
> distribution on Friendly ARM Mini 2440, using the pre-built binaries
> of the Bootloader, thhe Kernel and the Root Filesystem
>
> The prebuilt binaries required can be downloaded from:http://www.friendlyarm.net/downloads
>
> Hardware Setup between Host (Host PC) and Target (Mini 2440 target board):
> Serial Port connection between Host PC and Board for seeing Bootloader
> messages, and selecting image to be transferred.
> USB connection between Host PC and Board for actual transfer of binary
> images. Download the USB Push utility fromhttp://www.friendlyarm.net/dl.php?file=usbpush.zipwhich enables

Suchakra

Dec 6, 2010, 12:11:36 AM12/6/10
to OpenARMLab
Nice and to the point. Just one thing : Its actually not 'porting',
just flashing the device with an already ported prebilt kernel/fs.
Please put it up on wiki if possible. Tanushri shall be working on MOM
I think.

On Dec 5, 9:02 pm, Manish Gajjaria <manish.gajja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brief about  the session on "Porting ANDROID on Friendly ARM Mini
> 2440"  conducted by Suchakra:
>
> This wiki shall provide the steps required to install Android
> distribution on Friendly ARM Mini 2440, using the pre-built binaries
> of the Bootloader, thhe Kernel and the Root Filesystem
>
> The prebuilt binaries required can be downloaded from:http://www.friendlyarm.net/downloads
>
> Hardware Setup between Host (Host PC) and Target (Mini 2440 target board):
> Serial Port connection between Host PC and Board for seeing Bootloader
> messages, and selecting image to be transferred.
> USB connection between Host PC and Board for actual transfer of binary
> images. Download the USB Push utility fromhttp://www.friendlyarm.net/dl.php?file=usbpush.zipwhich enables

Chaitannya Mahatme

Dec 6, 2010, 1:36:57 AM12/6/10
to opena...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please put this article on the wiki.
There are other wiki pages to be filled from yest session. If you liked the session please fill the wiki pages so that we can share our knowledge.

Also we are looking for volunteers who would work on the wiki. It would be something like 1 wiki page a week (Less than 30 mins of job), not more than that. If you are interested please send a mail to me or Amit.
--
Cheers !!!
Chaitannya

follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/chaitannya

I believe there's a hero in all of us
who keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride,
even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most... even our dreams.
- Spider Man 2

Manish Gajjaria

Dec 9, 2010, 5:01:02 AM12/9/10
to opena...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The contents have been moved onto a Wiki page:

http://wiki.openarmlab.orgindex.php?title=Flashing_ANDROID_on_Friendly_ARM_Mini_2440

Thanks,
Manis