Fwd: data update strategies

Jeff Konnen

Sep 10, 2010, 3:24:57 PM9/10/10
to openad...@googlegroups.com, kille...@googlemail.com
i guess this question should be asked in public so i forwarded it to the mailinglist

Begin forwarded message:

From: Killerraupe <kille...@googlemail.com>
Date: 10 septembre 2010 12:49:04 HAEC
To: Jeff Konnen <jayk...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: data update strategies

Hi,

what's the current status of the synchronization from OSM to OA? How
often it take place?
What happens, if I had changed (earlier) imported addresses from the
user 'OSM'?

Christian

On 27 Feb., 16:03, Jeff Konnen <jaykay...@gmail.com> wrote:

2) How often are we going to synchronize from OSM to OA?

Thomas Ineichen

Sep 10, 2010, 3:53:36 PM9/10/10
to openaddresses
> > what's the current status of the synchronization from OSM to OA? How
> > often it take place?

And - furthermore - are there any plans to syncronize *from OA* back
*to OSM*?

Regards,
Thomas

Stark hans-Jörg

Sep 10, 2010, 4:08:16 PM9/10/10
to openad...@googlegroups.com
We are certainly open (!) if OSM people are willing to write a sync OA -> OSM. From a data structure point a lot easier than the other way around.
License wise its no issue anymore.
Message has been deleted

Killerraupe

Sep 15, 2010, 3:33:39 AM9/15/10
to openaddresses
let me repeat my questions:

> what's the current status of the synchronization from OSM to OA? How
> often it take place?
> What happens, if I had changed (earlier) imported addresses from the
> user 'OSM'?

for my last question: will my changes be overwritten by the
synchronization?

thank you

Christian

Jeff Konnen

Sep 15, 2010, 2:56:27 PM9/15/10
to openad...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

I can tell you what today's status is:

The data has been loaded from OSM in May / June 2010.
There has not been an update since.

Until this summer, plans where to have such a synchro on a weekly basis with the OSM Data in OA not being editable and overwritten.
A first implementation had been made but not finalized as this way of doing has been (legitimately) questioned by the community.

At #FOSS4G there were some discussion about the syncro that were planned but I have no idea about the outcome, so I'll let others inform you on the future plans of synchro in OA.

Cheers

On 15 Sep 2010, at 09:16, Killerraupe wrote:

> let me repeat my questions:
>

>> what's the current status of the synchronization from OSM to OA? How
>> often it take place?
>
>> What happens, if I had changed (earlier) imported addresses from the
>> user 'OSM'?

Killerraupe

Sep 16, 2010, 4:23:48 AM9/16/10
to openaddresses
> The data has been loaded from OSM in May / June 2010.
> There has not been an update since.
>
> Until this summer, plans where to have such a synchro on a weekly basis with the OSM Data in OA not being editable and overwritten.
> A first implementation had been made but not finalized as this way of doing has been (legitimately) questioned by the community.
>
> At #FOSS4G there were some discussion about the syncro that were planned but I have no idea about the outcome, so I'll let others inform you on the future plans of synchro in OA.

Thanks, that are the info's, which I looked for!

My background is, that I changed (corrections & additions) more than
5.000 addresses in the last weeks, and because the most of them are
from creator 'osm' I was afraid, that during the next synchronization
this changes would be overwritten. Would it be the better way, to
substitute osm by my own name in changed Addresses in the field
'created_by'?
How is the case 'deleted osm-addresses' solved - come they again or
were they ignored?
Why are some of the osm-addresses without an osmid?

Christian

Stark hans-Jörg

Sep 17, 2010, 8:56:38 AM9/17/10
to openad...@googlegroups.com
I am not on the current as far as the sync is concerned - but since we have date/time information it should not bee too big an issue to keep the latest edits and reject older versions.

--hj