W3C contributions ?

Mike Liebhold

Jun 11, 2010, 4:34:07 PM6/11/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
I am just now surfacing after ARE2010 and an avalanche of unrelated
project work.

We've been requested by Phil Archer and Christine Perrey to -please- put
together some contributions for the W3C AR meeting in Barcelona next
week. I Know Damon Hernandez is going to summarize the outcomes of the
X3d AR workshop at ARE, Thomas and perhaps Tish will submit something
about ARwave and XMPP and I hope Blair and Alex are going to send
something about their shiny new Kamra browser.

That leaves the rest of us. I' plan to write up a short issues paper,
over the weekend about the entire stack that I'll share here for
comments before sending it tho the W3C. I hope Anselm and Sophia will
write something about open geo and FOSS for AR, (?) and maybe we can
convice Dan Brickley to contibute something about AR semantics and maybe
RESTful services. (?)

That still leaves about 70 people signed up for this list, who have, so
far been mostly silent. Let's hope some of you have something to add to
the discussions. this is a great opportunity to make an major impact on
the future of open AR software and data.

Cheers!

Mike

Anselm Hook

Jun 11, 2010, 4:43:34 PM6/11/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
I'm personally going to be hiking the west coast trail this upcoming
week ( it's been planned for months ) and then will hopefully
contribute when back!

In my own time at the moment I'm building a simple (and open source)
AR game level authoring tool - it's the sweet spot where I feel the
need is greatest. I'm finding a need to have a formal description
grammar that describes not just what is in the world, but what the
relationships between things are. Also I am finding a need to formally
express properties such as time, duration, sensor radius, sensor
filter conditions and the like.

--
@anselm 415 215 4856 http://twitter.com/anselm

Phil Archer

Jun 11, 2010, 4:54:57 PM6/11/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting this Mike. We are indeed keen to get as broad a view
of the landscape as it pertains to possible standards in AR. If
documents are available before Tuesday then of course, we can and will
point workshop participants to them. It will be my task to report on the
event afterwards - something I'm keen to do as quickly as possible so
that the memories don't fade. In reality I know I won't get to it before
the following week but I do hope to publish something then. It would be
great to be able to link to documents from folk in this group as you
describe.

Cheers

Phil.

--

Phil Archer
http://philarcher.org/

i-sieve Technologies | W3C
Sentiment Analysis Beyond Impressions | Mobile Web Initiative
http://i-sieve.com | http://www.w3.org/Mobile

Dan Brickley

Jun 11, 2010, 5:16:34 PM6/11/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Mike Liebhold <m...@well.com> wrote:
> I am just now surfacing after ARE2010 and an avalanche of unrelated project
> work.
>
> We've been requested by Phil Archer and Christine Perrey to -please- put
> together some contributions for the W3C AR meeting in Barcelona next week. I
> Know Damon Hernandez is going to summarize the outcomes of the X3d AR
> workshop at ARE, Thomas and perhaps Tish will submit something about ARwave
> and XMPP and I hope Blair and Alex are going to send something about their
> shiny new Kamra browser.
>
> That leaves the rest of us.  I' plan to write up a short issues paper, over
> the weekend  about the entire stack that I'll share here for comments before
> sending it tho the W3C.  I hope Anselm and Sophia will write something about
> open geo and FOSS for AR, (?) and maybe we can convice Dan Brickley to
> contibute something about AR semantics and maybe RESTful services. (?)

Ah, now my guilt kicks in! I *really* wanted to get a position paper done.

Here's my thinking in a scribbly nutshell, maybe it fits with others' thinking?

* AR is necessarily a hodge-podge of fun things, bridging fields of
expertise and standards; there will never be a single suite of 'AR'
standards...
* AR connects with SemWeb when it comes to building apps that require
acting upon diverse descriptions; even the coolest swooshy 3d display
can only usefully show you a handful of items. Appropriate filtering
and ranking requires a richer schema than "short bit of text + long
bit of text + category + logo" and what we call AR is just the tip of
a larger iceberg.
* W3C should pay some attention to QR Code standards and suchlike
(also imho audio encodings); they already exist, but best practice
guidelines for URIs is important. Imagine if each shop / point of
interest had an array of 5 different scannable codes on the front door
or in magazines and flyers - not going to work. A single consensus on
how to encode your homepage URL in scannable form, plus some work on
what markup to embed in that homepage to describe a 'point of
interest' richly is needed.
* more effort linking with especially egov open data efforts. A lot
of AR is about cities in particular, due to the massive concentration
of people and information. AR apps can provide the shiny demos that
help civil servants open up data. And the data doesn't need to be in
some new "AR" format; XML, CSV, RDF etc are just fine; it is a mistake
if we fixate on the 3d and geo specs as the main requirement that AR
has from the standards world. Not that the 3d stuff isn't important
(but then so is oauth, qr, etc too)
* we need some strong demos showing content portability between AR
environments. In a year or so the young creative AR startups will be
in a squeeze: oppressed from one side by amazing demos from the giants
(microsoft, google, apple) and richer builtins on the mobile
platforms, and from the other by increasingly feasibility of doing
basic swooshy camera overlay stuff in js via HTML5 + APIs, ie. richer
builtins on the Web-as-platform. In particular, social AR apps will
remain somewhat stunted all the time they assume we're all running the
same software --- I want to annotate the world for all my friends
regardless of the phone or software they're currently using, and to
have that effort still be worthwhile in 5+ years time.

Concrete things I'd like to see in the coming weeks: some AR-motivated
extensions to Facebook's http://opengraphprotocol.org/ that make it
better support some practical "make AR useful" scenarios (what movies
are on? (that I might like? that I haven't seen...) where's a *vegan*
restaurant near here that's still open? where can I buy X and what
tram do I get...? (piggybacking on wikipedia / dbpedia for types there
rather than re-inventing)

There are a million fun arty and gamey things to do too of course, and
I know the 'directory' stuff seems boring by contrast, but AR has the
potential to be an entry point to a world of information and right now
that information is differentiated by source rather than semantics. I
shouldn't have to hand pick a list of KML or whatever layers; machines
can be better at that stuff than us, but right now they're not getting
the help they need...

/braindump

cheers,

--Dan

Now you might say that those last scenarios are gen

Thomas Wrobel

Jun 11, 2010, 5:19:04 PM6/11/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
I have already submitted a (admittedly rather basic) positional paper into the easychair system. Did it go though ok?
I'd have loved to submit a more complete and broadranging piece, but I've been so snowed under with work these last few weeks.

Phil Archer

Jun 11, 2010, 5:48:23 PM6/11/10
to open...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Thomas! Sorry, I should have included a link to the agenda, I mean,
like, Durrr http://www.w3.org/2010/06/w3car/

Thanks to DanBri for the notes.

Phil.

MetaverseOne

Jun 13, 2010, 9:06:39 AM6/13/10
to Open ARweb
Hello Mike,
A quick correction, I will actually be summarizing what the Open AR
panel covered at the ARE2010 event. Showing how everything we
presented works together adds greater value than an update on the X3d
AR workshop from ARE. Hope you have time to send along some slides
from your talk.

cheers,
Damon

MikeLiebhold

Jun 15, 2010, 11:25:12 PM6/15/10
to Open ARweb
this is a resend of the body of a previous note titled "apologies"

*******
Dear Phil and Colleagues at the W3C AR workshop.

The main idea I'd like to suggest as practical and tangible starting
point is the creation of a reference model for an AR [focal plane] web
browser for viewing data and media attached to physical place and
objects, starting with a mobile device display profile extensible in a
few years for head mounted displays

HTML5 is an excellent starting point for the meta framework of a
browser markup that is sufficiently open to enable import and
rendering of all kinds of complex media. included embeded OGC KML
which has excellent standard markup supporting cinematic or focal
plane views of abundant geospatial data that already exists. There
are already 2billion KML placemarks available on the web. None of
these placemarks are HTML5 page objects. Perhaps They should be(?)

One critical open specification for an open AR web Browser is the
specification of for expression for browser query for for location
sensing and object recognition by matching photographs or to be
defined standard sub samples or point clouds to be compared with
standard reference data sets on the web. This work should also include
standards for simpler pattern geometries like QR codes, as Dan
Brickley suggested. Recent meetings here at Stanf0rdd University
convened experts from Nokia, Google, Microsoft, and others working in
this area to begin work on what could be a contentious proces since
these big players have considerable vested interests in setting de
facto proprietary standards.

Best Wishes to everyone in Barcelona,

Mike

Michael Liebhold