internet wide unique identifier

tyler gillies

Mar 16, 2010, 2:54:52 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
What do you guys think of this idea?

md5sum (or some other kind of hash) a person's email address and then create an xmlns schema to include include in a feed to say that person authored the feed.
the biggest problem i see with open web communication is that theres no way to link feeds to users outside the of the scope of the service that the feed resides on.

something like

<author>
<emailhash xmlns:"http://somesite/emailhash/version1" identifier="d76f53e4acf764b7a9c77cfb58493f00">
</author>
--
Everyone Loves Tea
http://www.everyonelovestea.com

Stephen Paul Weber

Mar 16, 2010, 3:28:53 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com

Melvin Carvalho

Mar 16, 2010, 4:08:03 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com

tyler gillies

Mar 16, 2010, 4:13:07 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
it doesn't have to be md5sum, it can be any hash algorithm that is easily reversed. i was just throwing it out there because it was a simple one.
the point is, you create an identifier that's unique to you, that links your data to your identity across all sites. it would be easy for pre-existing services to implement because 90something percent of all webapps already have your email.

tyler gillies

Mar 16, 2010, 4:00:58 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
yeah so you explained what a URI is.

my plan was to get an IETF spec that was the defacto way to identify a user so that we can have continuity across every site

you can pick an arbitrary URI, but that kinda defeats the whole purpose

Henry Story

Mar 16, 2010, 4:18:34 PM3/16/10

On 16 Mar 2010, at 21:00, tyler gillies wrote:

> yeah so you explained what a URI is.
>
> my plan was to get an IETF spec that was the defacto way to identify a user
> so that we can have continuity across every site

Just take any URL. Put a foaf document there. And voila!

One of mine is http://bblfish.net/#hjs

You can run rapper from redland on it

$ rapper -i rdfa http://bblfish.net/#hjs -o turtle

And find out that it refers to a person, my email address, my public key, etc, etc..

Henry

>> open-web-discu...@googlegroups.com<open-web-discuss%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Peter Saint-Andre

Mar 16, 2010, 4:29:17 PM3/16/10
On 3/16/10 2:00 PM, tyler gillies wrote:

> my plan was to get an IETF spec that was the defacto way to identify a
> user so that we can have continuity across every site

Jeremie Miller came up with this a while back:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miller-microid-01

But it's different across sites.

Peter

tyler gillies

Mar 16, 2010, 4:29:17 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
That requires a lookup. im not talking about a webfinger-esque protocol. just a simple identifier.
if your domain expires, your system breaks.
with a generated hash there is no dependency on a web host

rajub...@googlemail.com

Mar 16, 2010, 4:37:04 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
So we are back to foaf! Good concepts seem to stick around.

Doesn't foaf give you the ability to encrypt email addresses within the foaf file? I think so...

------------------------

tyler gillies

Mar 16, 2010, 4:44:58 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
foaf seems too verbose. why not just have a single identifier? only make things as complicated as they need to be is my thinking on this one

Melvin Carvalho

Mar 16, 2010, 4:53:06 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com

So we are back to foaf! Good concepts seem to stick around.

Doesn't foaf give you the ability to encrypt email addresses within the foaf file? I think so...

Yes and no it has the foaf:mboxsha1sum which has the weakness described:

Making variables global is a very interesting idea, it's something that timBL talked recently

When you make variables global in some languages they fall apart
Make them global in hypertext and you get the web

Perhaps you could add

make your userid global and you get FOAF or OpenID (I think the frist OpenID/Yadis was loosely based on FOAF anyway)
make a cookie glbal and you get OAuth (well I may be stretching things a bit there)

But use your imagination and interesting things happen ... :)

Henry Story

Mar 16, 2010, 5:07:10 PM3/16/10

what's verbose about http://bblfish.net/#hjs ?

> why not just have a single identifier?

That's a single identifier. It a Universal Resource Identifer in fact. By definition it can only refer to 1 thing.

> only make
> things as complicated as they need to be is my thinking on this on

Indeed nothing could be simpler. The whole web is built on this, that's how simple it is.

rajub...@googlemail.com

Mar 16, 2010, 5:08:17 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
This document might be interesting in this context: http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~sauermann/2006/11/cooluris/

------------------------

From: tyler gillies <tjgi...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:44:58 -0700
Subject: Re: Re: internet wide unique identifier

tyler gillies

Mar 16, 2010, 5:18:52 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
if we extended foaf to include a hash that wasn't vulnerable we would be on to something. I'll ask on foaf mailing list what they think about it.

Henry Story

Mar 16, 2010, 5:05:01 PM3/16/10

On 16 Mar 2010, at 21:29, tyler gillies wrote:

> That requires a lookup. im not talking about a webfinger-esque protocol.
> just a simple identifier.
> if your domain expires, your system breaks.
> with a generated hash there is no dependency on a web host

This is the simplest possible lookup. An HTTP GET. The whole web is based on that, and it's been around for 20 years or so. Sure things sometimes dissepear, as things do. But that you will have with any protocol or lookup system.

Here it is easy to link to other identifiers. So for example below you will see a number of owl:sameAs links. One identifier links to 2 other identifiers, with claims of identity. If one day one of them would go down, you could check the others too...

$ rapper -i rdfa http://bblfish.net/#hjs -o turtle

rapper: Parsing URI http://bblfish.net/#hjs with parser rdfa
rapper: Serializing with serializer turtle
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix : <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml> .
@prefix cert: <http://www.w3.org/ns/auth/cert#> .
@prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
@prefix owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
@prefix rsa: <http://www.w3.org/ns/auth/rsa#> .
@prefix dc: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .

<http://bblfish.net/>
dc:conformsTo <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax> ;
a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument ;
<http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#icon> <http://bblfish.net/favicon.ico> ;
foaf:primaryTopic <http://bblfish.net/#hjs> .

<http://bblfish.net/#me>
owl:sameAs <http://webid.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/hjs#me> ;
foaf:blog <http://bblfish.net/blog/>, <http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/> .

<http://bblfish.net/#hjs>
owl:sameAs <http://bblfish.net/people/henry/card#me> ;
foaf:aimChatId "unbabelfish" ;
foaf:mbox <mailto:henry...@bblfish.net> ;
foaf:name "Henry Story" ;
foaf:openid <http://bblfish.net/> ;
foaf:phone <tel:+15109315491>, <tel:+33970448664> .

[]
a rsa:RSAPublicKey ;
cert:identity <http://bblfish.net/#hjs> ;
rsa:modulus """9D ☮ 79 ☮ BF ☮ E2 ☮ F4 ☮ 98 ☮ BC ☮ 79 ☮ 6D ☮ AB ☮ 73 ☮ E2 ☮ 8B ☮ 39 ☮ 4D ☮ B5
26 ✜ 68 ✜ 49 ✜ EE ✜ 71 ✜ 87 ✜ 06 ✜ 32 ✜ C9 ✜ 9F ✜ 3F ✜ 94 ✜ E5 ✜ CB ✜ 4D ✜ B5
12 ☮ 35 ☮ 13 ☮ 69 ☮ 60 ☮ 81 ☮ 58 ☮ 79 ☮ 66 ☮ F3 ☮ 79 ☮ 20 ☮ 91 ☮ 6A ☮ 3F ☮ 42
5A ✜ F6 ✜ 54 ✜ 42 ✜ 88 ✜ B2 ✜ E9 ✜ 19 ✜ 4A ✜ 79 ✜ 87 ✜ 2E ✜ 62 ✜ 44 ✜ 2D ✜ 7C
06 ☽ 78 ☽ F8 ☽ FD ☽ 52 ☽ 92 ☽ 6D ☽ CD ☽ D6 ☽ F3 ☽ 28 ☽ 6B ☽ 1F ☽ DB ☽ CB ☽ D3
F2 ☮ 08 ☮ 34 ☮ 72 ☮ A2 ☮ 12 ☮ 75 ☮ AE ☮ D1 ☮ 09 ☮ 17 ☮ D0 ☮ 88 ☮ 4C ☮ 04 ☮ 8E
04 ☾ E5 ☾ BF ☾ D1 ☾ 41 ☾ 64 ☾ D1 ☾ F7 ☾ 89 ☾ 6D ☾ 8B ☾ B2 ☾ F2 ☾ 46 ☾ C0 ☾ 56
87 ☮ 8D ☮ B8 ☮ 7C ☮ C6 ☮ FE ☮ E9 ☮ 61 ☮ 88 ☮ 08 ☮ 61 ☮ DD ☮ E3 ☮ B8 ☮ B5 ☮ 47 ♥
"""^^cert:hex ;
rsa:public_exponent "65537"^^cert:int .

Steve Repetti

Mar 16, 2010, 5:48:24 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com

Wow! Great article. Thanks for posting!

--Steve Repetti

Stephen Paul Weber

Mar 16, 2010, 5:52:09 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com

Stephen Paul Weber

Mar 16, 2010, 5:54:17 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com

tyler gillies

Mar 16, 2010, 6:36:06 PM3/16/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
thats a good point

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Joseph Holsten

Mar 17, 2010, 12:53:36 AM3/17/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com
You should investigate URNs and the draft magnet: URI scheme: http://magnet-uri.sourceforge.net/magnet-draft-overview.txt
Also, if you really don't have a good process to assign these identifiers, you will end up with multiple entities claiming the same id. If you just have a hash of an email address, there's really no way to prove that you represent that identity. So all I'd have to do to claim to be you is know your email address.

Identity, authentication and authorization are hard. Don't stop challenging the conventional assumptions, but sometimes those assumptions actually are reasonable.

Five years ago, I started playing with OpenID because the SAML and RDF offerings for identity seemed unnecessarily complicated. These days, I have no confidence that a solid identity system based on OpenID will be any simpler than the complicated stuff it was supposed to replace. We've reinvented very similar tools to get OpenID as useful as it is. Maybe the OpenID stack is better, but that's a debate that will only end up invoking Godwin's law.

Mark Essel (@victusfate)

Mar 17, 2010, 6:58:39 AM3/17/10
to Open Web Foundation Discussion

Great points Joseph.
Tyler -> you want a web page to be connected to a unique personal ID?
Collaborative URIs too right?

If there's not an issue of security (some nations would use this type
of identifier against their people)

So let's presume an opt in, this is me identifier that gets put into
an HTML header. How do we idntify ourselves outside of the net?
Usually by other people we trust (trusted ID sites), and state and
federal IDs (license and Social security numbers). Companies often ask
our mother's maiden name, physical address, etc.

So to know that me or you wrote a page we could potentially use
several authentication methods.
Trust, ID, other information (I like pointing to other URLs that point
back)

interesting question, the founding fathers had it easy. They'd just
sign paper, sometimes under pseudonyms..

Karl Dubost

Mar 17, 2010, 8:19:46 AM3/17/10
to open-web...@googlegroups.com, tyler gillies

Le 16 mars 2010 à 14:54, tyler gillies a écrit :
> md5sum (or some other kind of hash) a person's email address and then create an xmlns schema to include include in a feed to say that person authored the feed.

What is the exact issue you are trying to solve?
1. Use cases?
2. How that would be implemented?
3. Barriers to adoption?

--